It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i dont understand how a book written 400 years after the events took place can be taken seriously

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
it just baffles me.. I mean, play the game telephone with more than 6 people. You'll hardly ever get what the original message was. Now multiply this by a million. How can people take this seriously?!?! I understand faith, but cmon! It just makes no logical sense how people will take the new testament as fact, or even guidelines when the really facts are so far from contrived its not even funny.

when will people put out the same vetting in their belief system, as they do in believing news stories?

can my religious friends explain this to me?

thanks

edit on 14-10-2010 by bknapple32 because: type-o

edit on 14-10-2010 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
it just baffles me.. mean, play the game telephone with more than 6 people. You'll hardly ever get what the original message was. Now multiply this by a million. How can people take this seriously?!?! I understand faith, but cmon! It just makes no logical sense how people will take the new testament as fact, or even guidelines when the really facts are so far from contrived its not even funny. can my religious friends explain this to me?

thanks

Could it be that if an individual has already accepted that there is an all-powerful, all-knowing being who is their creator who spoke the universe into existence, then how hard would if be for him to share and protect his message throughout the ages in spite of the plans or ignorance of man?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

it just baffles me.. mean, play the game telephone with more than 6 people. You'll hardly ever get what the original message was. Now multiply this by a million. How can people take this seriously?!?! I understand faith, but cmon! It just makes no logical sense how people will take the new testament as fact, or even guidelines when the really facts are so far from contrived its not even funny. can my religious friends explain this to me?

thanks

This is what I say in regards to any type of history and this is also my response when the bible and it's validity comes up. I know if I tell one person something and then the next person tells one, by the 4th person it's changed.

I believe parts of the bible are true but I think it's elaborated in many senses. Also why leaves parts out? That is what annoys me most about the bible.

S&F because you think like me in this aspect

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JudgedCover

i get that, but would they accept any other written history in that way? if the events of the revolutionary war werent written until 100 years from now, what would they think then?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

It's all about faith really. No one out there is accepting a religious text because they think there is solid evidence supporting it, they do so because they believe on faith and then after that anything they can perceive as evidence is just a bonus. If you think about the kind of stories in the Bible and other religious texts no one would believe them based on evidence because there is no evidence. There's no evidence for Moses, Jesus, Zeus or the Easter Bunny and so they have to be believed on faith and are usually something instilled in your mind when you are only a child and not able to judge whether a story makes sense or has any evidence supporting it.

My little sister believes in Santa Claus, Jesus and Mermaids but for some reason only one of those beliefs will be socially acceptable to hold when she reaches adulthood...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

thanks

This is what I say in regards to any type of history and this is also my response when the bible and it's validity comes up. I know if I tell one person something and then the next person tells one, by the 4th person it's changed.

I believe parts of the bible are true but I think it's elaborated in many senses. Also why leaves parts out? That is what annoys me most about the bible.

S&F because you think like me in this aspect

thanks ... glad we agree!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

i get that, but would they accept any other written history in that way? if the events of the revolutionary war werent written until 100 years from now, what would they think then?

Who's to say, but like I said, if they've already bought into an omnipotent being for which there is no scientific proof of existance, then why should you be baffled at their attitude towards the Bible? The faith that motivates them to believe in God will easily motivate them to believe in the Bible's validity.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudgedCover

Who's to say, but like I said, if they've already bought into an omnipotent being for which there is no scientific proof of existence, then why should you be baffled at their attitude towards the Bible? The faith that motivates them to believe in God will easily motivate them to believe in the Bible's validity.

i get they are making the leap after making such a huge leap with belief in god... but why does logic go out the door wth god, but not anything else in the human brain? and doesnt a self reflective person realize this at one point? I think all ideas and beliefs should be held to the same scrutiny. the same vetting i do in believing news stores should be the same vetting i put in my belief system

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The New testament was compiled by the first Council at Nicea about 325 yrs after Christ, not written 400 yrs later. The Gospels included in the New Testament were all written w/in the first hundred years, other gospels written much later were not included.

edit on 14-10-2010 by Blarneystoner because: to correct spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
The New testament was compiled by the first Council at Nicea about 325 yrs after Christ, not written 400 yrs later. The Gospels included in the New Testament were all written w/in the first hundred years, other gospels written much later were not included.

edit on 14-10-2010 by Blarneystoner because: to correct spelling

there was also a 2nd council in 787... And the council still picked and chose what went in... that along should raise eye brows. second... the gospels were written 100 years after, the same point still applies. i ask the question again..

what would happen if the events of 9/11 were only written about 100 years after... imagine how different the stories would be.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

How is this not logical from their point of view? God is God. He has a word, he'll protect it and ensure that it's central truths will remain intact throughout the course of humanity.

Whatever criticisms that have been raised and are being raised by opponents of religion can all be refuted. It's about the perspective.

What is baffling to me is why those in opposition of the other side are so obsessed with imposing their beliefs on the other? Obviously, I understand the argument about all the death and cruelty that has been done in the name of religion through the ages, but there has been just as much death perpetrated in the name of science and political systems like communism that are athiestic in their model.

If evolution ever evolves beyond a theory, or ET lands in Central Park why don't you just realize that all beliefs require a measure of faith and if that faith helps that individual grow then why work yourself up so much?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

What God are you referring to? There are numerous similar Gods in the world. All of them plagiarized from the last one. Copies!
Seeing Double

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

What God are you referring to? There are numerous similar Gods in the world. All of them plagiarized from the last one. Copies!
Seeing Double

...from your point of view. If counterfeits are your only argument, the Bible itself states there have been and will be many counterfeits.

Counterfeits exist of the dollar in your wallet. Does that mean that dollar isn't real?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

So are you saying all books in the last ten years that have been written about events that took place pre-1600 are bogus?

And to clarify... the 4 gospels were written less than a hundred years after Jesus died. The 400 figure comes from the declaration by the Romans that the 4 gospels, along with other material, were officially considered as biblical canon.

You also have to remember that before writing and reading became mainstream... the main form of passing on knowledge was through storytelling. The thing about storytelling, as most will tell you, is that the core meaning of the story remains unchanged as it is passed on- the method it is told could change, but not the message itself.

And if you are looking for proof that Jesus existed, there are writings in the Jewish Talmud from around the time of his life that describe him as an actual physical person; except in the Talmud he is described as a man born of a whore who worshiped a brick and is experiencing eternal punishment in a boiling pit of excrement.

Seeing as how the Talmud in this period was in the hands of the Pharisees (All the gospels show Jesus as denouncing the Pharisees, as well as show that the Pharisees felt threatened by Jesus), it's not surprising that Jesus was mentioned in such a manner; Christianity was seen as a threat to the religious order, so it had to be stamped out.

Kind of Ironic when you take into account all the similar actions of stamping out that the Christian church has done itself over the last thousand years...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

The Bible states many things and it contradicts it's self. If you can share that verse then share it. You seem to have strong faith in a "God" you know so little about.
Creation Myths
There's no doubting the Bible has huge similarities from much older cultures.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

The Bible states many things and it contradicts it's self. If you can share that verse then share it. You seem to have strong faith in a "God" you know so little about.
Creation Myths
There's no doubting the Bible has huge similarities from much older cultures.

My friend, why do you fight so hard? If you truly believe what you believe then be at peace with it. Is there something more to your fight, I wonder? Is your heart at war with your mind? Is your heart having difficulty believing you are just a cell and a billion random coincidences? Is it telling you that you are something, more?

In either case, I would recommend a time of introspection about why you fight so hard against something that you are so convinced isn't real in the first place? All this fighting seems like a waste of energy.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

i dont understand how a book written 400 years after the events took place can be taken seriously,

This thread was written 1600 years after the events in question allegedly took place. How can I take this thread seriously? Why should I believe any of the content of this thread at all?

edit on 14-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: logic. It's a hell of a drug.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Blame politics! I love to debate and that is it! I win a lot and I lose a lot. Maybe I should make it more clear that I'm in it for debating. How can you not want to use this way of explaining your views?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Look at it this way, if Moses was alive and did today what he did in past he'd get a public hanging for war crimes and genocide after US captures him and his terrorist insurgents
. The hypocrisy was same back then as it is now among everyone, Hebrews, Egyptians, Romans and alike. - some things seem to never change. The old testament including the new testament is but political propaganda written to push state of Israel's military and political agenda. What I said is backed by many historical accounts other than "The Bible" where the holy ultimate-undeniable-truth is disputed even though Roman Empire did whatever it could to erase pages of history. Actual history, without Bible, easily displays all men as barbaric beasts waging countless and endless genocidal wars for greed and power - scrolls such as Greek poems and Bible were meant to display these barbaric customs as glorious, holy and romantic.
I love bible quotes and their widespread distribution but actual events are nothing but washed down re-written historical accounts to fit dark agendas serving only global criminal organisations. If Hitler won WW2 he'd write his own bible where he is a man led by God himself and people would after 400 years take it as absolute truth - destruction of sinful Europe and Russia could easily be re-interpreted as "God's wrath". I am actually a spiritual person and love all religions of the world but people actually taking religious texts as facts makes me very sad.
When I said hypocrisy is the same I also mean that constant disagreement about who is "God's chosen" and who deserves "wrath of God" is still to this day causing same amount of violent genocidal conflicts only proving that none are God's chosen.
edit on 14/10/2010 by SassyCat because: added some more wording

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

it just baffles me.. I mean, play the game telephone with more than 6 people. You'll hardly ever get what the original message was. Now multiply this by a million. How can people take this seriously?!?! I understand faith, but cmon! It just makes no logical sense how people will take the new testament as fact, or even guidelines when the really facts are so far from contrived its not even funny.

when will people put out the same vetting in their belief system, as they do in believing news stories?

can my religious friends explain this to me?

thanks

edit on 14-10-2010 by bknapple32 because: type-o

edit on 14-10-2010 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

It's not a game of telephone.

The word of mouth traditions of the past are nothing like the game of telephone. They took memorizing the stories properly VERY seriously, they repeated them over and over again to make sure they were memorized correctly.

The telelphone game is not a proper analogy because of no ability to ensure that the next person knows what the last person said.

Oral traditions have been shown to be VERY accurate. In fact it is sometimes MORE accurate than written traditions because writing was so obscure, it would be easier to manipulate a copying of a book than for a son to manipulate an oral tradition passed down from the father and VERY important to family legacy.

Jaden

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join