It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First human injected in human embryonic stem cell trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hey there ATS!

Haven't really been all that active lately, but found this gem today and felt the need to share it. Sorry if it has already been posted, if so mods please delete.

This is exciting news, it will be interesting to see where this leads...

After years of animal trials, the first human has been injected with cells from human embryonic stem cells, according to Geron Corporation, the company which is sponsoring the controversial study.

"This is the first human embryonic stem cell trial in the world," Geron CEO Dr. Thomas Okarma tells CNN.

Geron is releasing very few details about the patient, but will say that the first person to receive cells derived from human embryonic stem cells was enrolled in the FDA-approved clinical trial at the Shepherd Center, a spinal cord and brain injury rehabilitation hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. This person was injected with the cells on Friday.

This is interesting stuff here! Being used to repair spinal injuries.

"At the time of the injection, they [the cells] are programmed to make a new spinal cord – they insulate the damage [to the spinal cord],"

and this is the first human trial! imagane what stem cells and this new 'technology' can used for in our coming future... any thoughts ATS

pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com...
edit on 11-10-2010 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Details are being kept confidential. In other words.....EPIC FAIL.

SOLUTION: Have government pay for more research.

Kudos to Geron Corp. for spending their own money researching this, and not using OUR tax money for this unproven and worthless science.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Facinating stuff.

You have to wonder where this will take us if we can grow new 'stuff' for when the old 'stuff' wears out.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Let's see if they solved the problem of embryonic stem cell therapy resulting in tumor formation and growth. This has been a big issue since embryonic stem cell testing started.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Seems legit to me, they have great intentions,

The goal is to permanently repair the damage that caused the paralysis from the spinal cord injury.

If not this go around the future looks promising for stem cell research, I just hope government funding will catch on sooner rather than later

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
using OUR tax money for this unproven and worthless science.

People expressed similar attitudes toward government funding of the smallpox eradication program. And national electricity projects. And government jet propulsion programs. And so on, and so on...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You don't know what Stem Cell research is do you? It's a great achievement in Science and human history.
Stem Cell information
Stem Cell Wiki
Thank God I live in California.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAnAlienOnMyOwnPlanet

You don't know what Stem Cell research is do you? It's a great achievement in Science and human history.
Stem Cell information
Stem Cell Wiki
Thank God I live in California.

Very true. Adult stem cell research and therapy has shown itself to be an effective treatment for many maladies without having to kill anything, unlike embryonic stem cell research and therapy.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I can't wait until they can insert stem cell in any part of your body to repair a bad part. The blind might be able to see. The deaf hear. Bad back...no problem we'll grow you a new one.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
...this is very encouraging news... does anyone know if curing alzheimers this way is remotely possible?...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Very true. Adult stem cell research and therapy has shown itself to be an effective treatment for many maladies without having to kill anything, unlike embryonic stem cell research and therapy.

Adult stem cell research also hasn't suffered from a nearly decade long interruption in funding, nor has it suffered from a limitation on creating new cell lines.

So, you're basically comparing apples to Toyotas here.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Hm...this is wierd.

There was this television show called "Lost" that aired from 2004-2010 and before i throw out any information about the show other than one of the episodes in the end of season 6, Jack Shepherd had to fix John Locke's spinal injury that disabled his use of legs, sort of like this article.

I just wanted to throw out the coincidence here.
edit on 12-10-2010 by adkchamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Adult stem cells have had past successes. Embryonic stem cells have always been a failure.

Once again I applaud this private company using their own money for research, instead of looking to government for money for failed science.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
What a quiet thread... so nice and peaceful over in your little world aftermath.
edit on 12-11-2010 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i attended a lecture given by one of the scientists that cloned a sheep named "dolly". the sheep was named "dolly" because she was cloned using stem cells from mammary glands. if we can use science to grow new ears for people on the backs of mice and grow new spinal cords we should use it.really.CHRISTOPHERREEVE
edit on 12-11-2010 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join