It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters attack police at Belgrade Gay Pride parade

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Protesters attack police at Belgrade Gay Pride parade

www.abovetopsecret.com

Serbian police have clashed with protesters trying to disrupt a Gay Pride parade in the capital, Belgrade.

Police used tear gas against the rioters, who threw petrol bombs and stones at armed officers and tried to break through the security cordon.

Police said several officers had been injured in the clashes.

This is the first Gay Pride parade in Serbia since a march in 2001 was broken up in violent clashes provoked by far-right extremists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I thought I'd post this news up as I think it's important.

Fascism is HERE - and NOW. Fascism doesn't just mean Nazi's from Germany, fascism means the U.S. Tea Party. Fascism means anti-gay protestors in Belgrade. Fascism means EDL 'Muzzy-bashers' in Leicester. Fascism means Geert Wilders gaining support in Holland. Fascism means the far-right in coalition in Austria, Sweden and various other countries.

We have to get real about fascism, and understand that we are on the cusp of another major conflict. As tolerant, enlightened and 'nice'
human beings we cannot allow homophobia, religious bigotry, and general race-hate to continue its' inexorable march towards dominating our lives.

Our ancestors who have lain in their WW one and two graves, did not die just so that we could allow fascism in when their sacrifice was forgotten!

That's right - remember, being anti-gay IS fascist. Being anti-[insert ethnic origin here] IS fascist. Being anti-[insert whatever belief someone could hold] IS fascist.

Let's stop it, and stop it now.

The Revenant.

www.abovetopsecret.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-10-2010 by The Revenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
You're going to get jumped for the sentiment expressed in your post as there's a large far-right contingent on ATS, so good luck to you. I agree that the world needs to be more tolerant, but I'm not sure how to implement that besides better education which needs to stem from those in control... which won't happen any time soon as we (as the rabble) need to be kept squabbling amongst ourselves to avoid looking at the bigger picture.

Here's the link to the story anyway, as you seem to accidentally copied and pasted the wrong URL.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Trying to stop someone from voicing they're views because you don't agree with them is also fascist.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Thanks for the fix - not sure why that happened! I followed the news submission guide thingy. Argh!

You're right - I've noticed there's lots of people with rather unusual takes on things around here.

Fankoo!!!

Rev.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by monobrow

Trying to stop someone from voicing they're views because you don't agree with them is also fascist.

I completely agree with you. Are you suggesting anything in particular here?

The Revenant.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by monobrow

Never knew throwing petrol bombs were a form of verbal expression, are you justifying violence towards a group of individuals based on their sexuality or differences?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

I am with you 100% on stamping fascism out our European doors. The times aren't good as people are convincing themselves that the right have the answers. However, the right will bring a whole host of extremist ideologies, far worse than the Islamic conspiracy theories everyone is talking about.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by monobrow

So you agree that these far-right groups have every right in the world to throw Molotov cocktails at police officers, torch the current leading political party's HQ, and storm the main building of a human rights organisation while screaming, "Death to gays!"? How any sane person can call that perfectly acceptable behaviour, and any attempts to counter this violence is fascism is beyond me.

So much for their little pride gay march..ha

However, in Serbia, apparently a little glass, bricks nad "petrol" is a little more news worthy! Guess its like the difference between playing tackle football and "touch" football.... Keep standing up for your beliefs Serbia, we have apparently given up over here!

GOD does not like gays. Other wise He would not have destroed Sodom and Gomorah.

Source

The world is sick, and intolerance is the problem. With comments like the above surely the OP has a very sobering point to make, it seems many are forgetting what all those millions died for not so long ago.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

No I would never condone violence on anyone regardless of they're sexual preference or religious belief's.
Neither would I condone violence towards someone who may have a problem with gay people or muslim's.
If they don't like certain people it's up to them I don't see what can be done about it. Unless you go down the route as the U.A.F. who seem just as bad as the people they oppose.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

So are you saying that there is no such thing as justified violence? An example would be the aforementioned police officers using tear gas and arresting violent protesters.

Some would argue the UAF is using the same logic as this, although the UAF never condones violence itself and always arranges peaceful protests, so perhaps you mean a more militant anti-fascist group such as ANTIFA? In their case it could be argued that they are expanding on the same "justified violence" the police forces and military use.
edit on 10-10-2010 by Goathief because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The problem with defending groups that hold up signs that say "Death to [insert group here]" is that these kinds of protesters are anything but legitmate or non violent. If it was not for civil rights laws they would be old fashioned lynch mobs. While they are technicaly defended by freedom of speech their intentions are murder and absolute hatred beyond rationality. There is a difference between groups like that and real protestors. Clumping both into the same category of legitimacy and fairness doesnt make sense to me. No one ever has the right to wish death upon a group for their beliefs. It only breeds violence.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

What I'm saying is you can't justify violence because someone has a different opinion to you. The OP stated we can not allow homophobia, religious biogtry, and general race hate to continue. So how will this be achieved? through education? thats already been tried and there still bigotry. Change the law maybe? no thats been done already and it still has banished racism. so how will it be stopped?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I might argue that education hasn't been tried enough. Visit any major inner city school and all ethnic groups are represented in a classroom. Reversing this fascist trend must begin there as well as combating prejudices imposed upon children via parents. I know that's a controversial issue, but there are plenty of parents in the UK with fascist and uneducated views of the world and its people.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

I might argue that education hasn't been tried enough. Visit any major inner city school and all ethnic groups are represented in a classroom. Reversing this fascist trend must begin there as well as combating prejudices imposed upon children via parents. I know that's a controversial issue, but there are plenty of parents in the UK with fascist and uneducated views of the world and its people.

I couldn't agree with you more Larry.

Education is undervalued, as is universal brotherhood. I think if we taught children to refer to each other as 'fellow human beings' before we called them 'Muslims' or 'Asians' or 'Southerns' or any other demographic term, the world would be a better place.

Education would serve to underpin this strong message.

Peace and Love to all I think!

The Revenant.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The fact that they could even have a gay pride parade in Serbia a great thing! Shame that these protestors can't seem to handle the idea of openly gay people - they have some serious growing to do. I hope they are but a small minority of the population.
On the other hand they might have known that this kind of reaction was going to occur in which case having the parade may not have been such a good idea. While they certainly have the right to do it I have to wonder if the PTB just wanted to see this kind of conflict happen.
IMO gay pride parades are silly and narcissistic. I have some gay friends and they seem to have to constantly remind everyone around them of their "gayness". Being hetero I have no urge to tell anyone what my sexual preferences are, why do some gays feel so motivated to tell the world? That part I don't understand.
I suppose in a country where homosexuality has been severely repressed there would be a reason to try to gain widespread acceptance of their beliefs but here in America I feel they have been accepted into the mainstream.
Thanks for sharing, I can see where you might connect fascism with the protesters. Europe has suffered enough so I doubt it could rise again. America does seem primed for a fascist takeover though.
Yes, we should be careful that our reactions against fascism don't make us just as bad as them.
The way of freedom is forbearance, tolerance and patience. None of which are traits of weakness.

The main reason for anti-gay violence is often found in religion. whether christian or muslim. That is where the real problem lies.
edit on 10-10-2010 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

We kind of need to go back to basics. Education being the first stop.

You know, we've both got threads going on covering a similar theme here. Should be a way to combine our thoughts. Fascism is spreading like wild fire and we gotta stomp it out now.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I see your point, and understand your thinking.

However, if you were living in a world where your 'kind' was constantly discriminated against, wouldn't you overcompensate a little?

The Revenant.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Indeed, they are very similar threads.

If you would like to PM me, (it may be necessary to wait until I have 20 posts) we could look at writing an article together if you'd like?

Fascism needs to be outed again in the new incarnation that it has arrived in.

The Revenant.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I see your point, and understand your thinking.

However, if you were living in a world where your 'kind' was constantly discriminated against, wouldn't you overcompensate a little?

The Revenant.

Yes, I would want to feel I belong too. No doubt Serbia has a long history of intolerance for homosexuality. To me, their just people, often very sensitive people.
It wasn't so long ago here in America that gays were openly mocked. I am old enough to remember those sad days. We have grown some here in the US.

We really need to define fascism. It is important that it does not become a "catch all" word for attitudes and behaviors we may not agree with.
If I recall correctly you had the blackshirt party in Britain before WW2. It can grow anywhere indeed.
edit on 10-10-2010 by Asktheanimals because: added commentary

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join