It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the most unique aspects of West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well, I'm known as a Western basher, or more specifically US/Israel basher, or what ever you want to label me as, that label as in itself will help me with this thread, showing the West's most unique characteristic.

Read the book "Defending the West", authored by ibn Warraq.

Ibn Warraq is an anti-Islamist, nothing wrong with it, just gives Muslims something to do when refuting claims of such people, anyways, this man puts it beautifully in his work, "Defending the West", where he claims the most unique aspect of the West has been its self criticism.

ATS is an example of that self criticism.

We can't forget that self criticism, and I should be taken as a criticizer of the West, rather than a Western basher.

I never refuse to accept the good things the West has offered for the world, but their is a huge room for improvement. Just like a teacher criticizing a student to improve, I criticize the West to do the same, to improve.

So to leave a form of discussion here, I will leave you with policies which has pushed the West away from self criticism.

The mainstream Media

The hate/terror laws

The National Security stamp on all information which could be used to criticize the West

The one I'm most concerned about is the National Security Stamp. It has stopped vital information, at critical time, which could be used to help the West, to improve, and get better, but the Western Government has the belief that only a tiny governmental employees should have the privilege to explore these informations.

How can government employees criticize the government through these informations, which could force the government to change for the better?

After all, isn't the soul reason for criticism is to improve?

What are your thoughts on this?

oz

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Actually I may not agree with your politics but I agree the tradtion of self-criticism is very lively and very vital, very western...and endangered by many of the factors you mentioned.

Whatever you may say about Americans, I have yet to see another country with so many people that openly and unstingingly bring up its bad aspects on line. Yes, the interent is full of chest-thumping American chauvanism but it is also filled with reams of self-criticism, hand-wringing, and preditictions of doom.

If this lively tradition of self-criticism truly declines further, the west is in for dark days indeed.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The west could do everything right known to man.
They could cure cancer and get flamed by one country or more .
Cause what people have is a issue with how free most Americans are and are happy with it.
and it eat's them alive.

Just like me i love freedom of speech.
Does ats let you have freedom of speech?Nope
Where are there server's? lol
If there American's and hate free speech are they really American's?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It isn't so much self-criticism that is lacking in the West, it's self-thought we are losing a grip on.
Seems to me that people have forgotten how to think for themselves, and so the few people who actually do use their brains end up either ignored or flamed into oblivion (for their critical thinking); or end up with a ridiculous amount of power and influence to abuse.

The West is essentially turning into a giant game of Horse....or Twister.
Right hand: Green. Left hand: Green. Left foot: Green. Right foot: Green.
Hope we've got good balance.
edit on 16-10-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

top topics

join