It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Example Why the Death Penalty MUST be STOPPED!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You can't give back life.
One wrong death penalty carried out, negates the whole.
Capital punishment is in any case murder.
Dress it up as 'justice' if you will.
People who play any sort of part in this will surely go to hell - if there is such a thing.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How about refining the system? The death penalty should be sentenced to those who are conclusively proven to be guilty:

1 - Video Proof - Kill 'em back

2 - Guilty Plead - Kill 'em back

3 - Multiple Credible Witnesses - Kill 'em back

Anything less...keep 'em locked up until evidence proving innocence can be provided.

edit on 11-10-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd because: inconclusive and conclusive are NOT synonyms

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
One of the biggest problems is that crime labs have been found being lax or outright mishandling evidence. NY Times
Some crimes and some people cannot be rehabilitated. Yes innocent people have been executed, but then you have folks like Charles Manson and his crew who deserved the death penalty. The terrorist suspects who are US citizens warrant the death penalty moreso then the foreign suspects since they committed treason. The criminal justice system is obviously imperfect but then again so is our society. You must admit it sucks when someone who is guilty goes free due to a technicality. One guilty person going free is not worth the people who they might injure or kill!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think that in cases where DNA evidence removes doubt, the guilty ought to die within 2 hours. Maybe even in the back room.

There has always been an estimate that from 1 to 3% of the executed are innocent. That number has been legally touted as "acceptable".

Mistakes happen. Injustice happens.

I think mostly the wrongful convictions come from humanoid cops who are convinced that they have right man. And so their cases represent "science of confirmation", a false mode that doesn't allow for falsification of the thesis.

I think that in most cases that I have heard of, the police were always unwilling to consider other suspects. Perhaps forcing them by law to fully investigate all allegations, though time consuming, is a proper option.

We should not throw out the threat of execution for the sake of the few. But I certainly woudn't want to be on the receiving end of that either.

It certainly is a puzzle.

The death penalty is not some egocentric imagination.

It is a tool in the form of a forbearance coupled to a promise: If you murder, you will be executed.

Maybe in the case of cops who MAKE SURE their suspect dies, that they also ought to die if they are discovered rail roading someone after the fact of execution.

It would not matter if they had some kind of exemplary life, are good husbands and fathers, good neighbors: The executed may have been the same.

Maybe that would be a good deterrent for narrow minded one track investigations.
Maybe it should be the same with stupid witnesses, if they cause an innocent death.
Juries are pretty stupid too. They are chosen for their propensity to be swayed by the lawyers involved.
NOT a good criteria.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
One guilty person going free is not worth the people who they might injure or kill!

Thank you for the star and flag.

However, I must disagree with you. If a murder goes free, that is another topic (like O J Simpson).
Taking another life is wrong. And that,s just not my opinion, it's a Christian dogma.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being, and thus Capital Punishment is by definition not murder.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftWingLarry

Originally posted by starchild10

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being, and thus Capital Punishment is by definition not murder.

I speak for only myself, and I set my standard above man, and government. Under G_D's law, taking a life is murder

top topics

<< 1   >>

join