It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel plans 'Jewish' loyality oath

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Israel plans 'Jewish' loyality oath

english.aljazeera.net

Right-wing politicians have welcomed plans to introduce an oath of loyalty to Israel as a "Jewish" state for anyone wanting to become a citizen, a move likely to further jeopardise direct peace talks with the Palestinians.

The controversial move would amend the current citizenship law to include the phrase: "I swear to respect the laws of the state of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state," Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, said on Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Dan Meridor, a Likud party member, said the law would exclude 1.5 million Palestinians who are citizens of Israel and will create a rift between them and the state.

Arab MPs in the Israeli Knesset also criticised the move, saying it specifically targets Palestinians looking to gain Israeli citizenship after marrying an Arab living in Israel.

"The addition to the citizenship law is entirely racist and transparent," Mohammed Barak, an Arab legislator, said.

"Israel's law books have long been a guide for some of the most discriminatory and racist regimes in the world and in history."

Recognition of Israel as a Jewish state is one of Netanyahu's key demands in any eventual peace deal with the Palestinians, but they have repeatedly rejected this as it would amount to an effective renunciation of the right of return for Palestinian refugees.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

There is one very major problem with that......should'nt Israel first settle the "who's a Jew" among the Orthodox & Reformists first?

The next problem with this oath comes great responsibility...to abide by ALL the 10 Commandments and it's 613 laws attached. Show me one single Israeli Jew or any other Jew that abides by these commandments in all it's intirity???

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I think that it is a great idea for Israel to have
her citizens pledge a loyality oath.Our country
has the pledge of allegiance.
Let the flaming begin
from the Israeli bashers.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here are the israeli's proclaiming the oath.
Hope this video embeds right.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I think that it is a great idea for Israel to have
her citizens pledge a loyality oath.Our country
has the pledge of allegiance.
Let the flaming begin
from the Israeli bashers.

Its not about having an oath, its about the addition to the oath that refers to Israel as a "Jewish" state. It would be like adding a reference to the USA being a "Christian" state in your oath. I think people would react to that, no?
Done bashing.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Looks like Israel is feeling insecure...............Wonder why ?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I agree. I don't think Israel is in any position to add "Jewish" loyalty to their present oath just yet although I agree to it in principal but needs to settle other serious issues first.

Israel can not settle on who's in fact Jewish yet as the Laws of the Israeli Govt and that of the Orthodox sector differ somewhat on who's a Jew. This has been a great debate for quite some years now and the Govt stops short of the demands of the Chief Orthodox rabbis.

Another issue...of those non-Jews residing in Israel who are not Jew or Arab and whose beliefs differ to that in Judaism could not make a "Jewish" oath. Kind of like forcing a Jew, Muslim or pagan to put his/her right hand on the Christian Bible in a court of law in western nations.

There are many IDF soldiers, products of mixed marriages, are killed in the line of fire and the Orthodox establishment refuses to allow these soldiers to have Jewish burials nor be buried in a Jewish cemetary of either deseased IDF Jewish soldiers or Jewish civilian cemetaries...and these soldiers are expected to agree to a Jewish loyalty oath? What of these soldier's loyalty to their comrades and the IDF? Is this not enough? And of these IDF soldiers as well as civilians living in Israel like themselves with a paternal Jewish link and does'nt want to convert to Orthodox Judaism can not legally marry in Israel but having to seek a civil marriage in Cyprus instead?

I say settle for Who's a Jew first then discuss this Jewish loyalty oath.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

It sounds like an unsolvable problem to me. The notion of a state existing because of one religion is a cockeyed one to start with.

While most of the world is moving to secularism, Israel and the Muslim theocracies of the Middle East are going the other way. No good can come from that.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i dont see anything wrong with it
if you choose to live in a country
you should live by and respect its cultures

simple

if you dont want to, go elsewhere

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Israel proposes the introduction of an oath of religious allegiance = uproar on ATS.

Iran requires 5 year olds to shout "Death to America !!" on their first day of school = silence on ATS.

This site is about as "Fair and Balanced" as Fox News

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by daluniverse

Do the muslims have to convert to judism? I'm confused. Did the arabs choose to live in israel or vice versa. Are jews a race or a religion? thats the big question.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I would have no problem taking an oath
saying the U.S. is a christian state.I would
love it,seeing that I am a christian.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Really great post...I wish we could say that here in
the U.S. But, the law suits would be flying off the wall.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by daluniverse
i dont see anything wrong with it
if you choose to live in a country
you should live by and respect its cultures

simple

if you dont want to, go elsewhere

True, but I don't see the US asking its citizens to respect the laws of the Christian United States.
Apartheid comes to mind, because that is what Israel stands for - a majority ruled by an authoritarian minority.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by wayno

I would have no problem taking an oath
saying the U.S. is a christian state.I would
love it,seeing that I am a christian.

Unfortunately your outlook is all too typical of Christians in the USA. That the oath would support your beliefs and block out all other religious beliefs is just fine by you.

You have no concept of a civil society that includes everyone, do you? Too bad you missed the dark ages. You would have been very comfortable there.

Fortunately, Amerika isn't a Christian theocracy. There is freedom of religion, and not just for you but for all faiths. How tough ...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Religion and culture are two completely separate things.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Jews are a people binded by religion...not by culture or race. Israel is probably the most richly multi-cultural nation on the planet with Jews from almost every nation residing there. The Jewish people are made up of Ashkenazi (European-Indocaucasian), Mizrachi (Persia/Iraq) and Sephardic (North Africa & Spain); they are split up among the Ultra-Orthodox, Orthodox, Conservative, Progressive, Reform & Liberal Jews although more than half of Israeli Jews are secular by nature.

The Ultra Orthodox & Orthodox don't accept Jews from the Conservative, Progressive etc as Jewish.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
and whats the problem with this????????????

here in america we have two the pledge of allegiance

the pledge:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all "

the oath:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

now the oath is really interesting to say the least................" that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;"

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I may be wrong, however this seems to violate their very own Declaration of Independence, issued May 14, 1948.

"THE STATE OF ISRAEL will be open to the immigration of Jews from all countries of their dispersion; will promote the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; will be based on the precepts of liberty, justice and peace taught by the Hebrew Prophets; will uphold the full social and political equality of all its citizens, without distinction of race, creed or sex; will guarantee full freedom of conscience, worship, education and culture; will safeguard the sanctity and inviolability of the shrines and Holy Places of all religions; and will dedicate itself to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations."

www.zionism-israel.com...

How would the people of the United States feel if Congress, suddenly, and without warning, decided that every non-Christian or non-Muslim citizen had to take an oath of loyalty to Jesus Christ of Christianity or Sunni or Shia Islam or leave the USA????

It would be anarchy!!

When are people going to stop being so afraid of being labeled as Anti-Semites and call this crap as they see it?
If it were any other country, the world would be in an uproar. It isn't anti- semitism, it is coming out and stating the truth of how screwed up it is.

If the Israelies don't want the Arabs, Palestinians et. al (Muslims, Christians, and other unapproved Jewish sects) there, then this is hardly the way to do it.

They call themselves a democracy?
edit on 12-10-2010 by thegoodearth because: ats

top topics

<<   2 >>

join