It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient galaxies found in modern universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ancient galaxies found in modern universe

www.abc.net.au

A team of Australian scientists have discovered a group of galaxies thought to have existed only in the distant past.

The discovery reported in the journal Nature could improve sciences understanding of how galaxies and stars form.

"Such galaxies were thought to exist only in the distant past, when the Universe was very young".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Green says these galaxies are strange, lumpy and ancient looking.

"Similar primordial galaxies have been seen in Hubble Deep Field images looking back 13 billion years through space-time to when the universe was very young," he says. "We didn't think these sort of galaxies still existed, certainly not just a billion light years away."

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
We could even be looking AT ancient past, and not something that merely LOOKS from the past, besides there is no way we cant tell, the Universe as a vast quasi eternal flow of energy cannot be measured with human standards, its like measuring a circle, but we are on a scale so amazingly puny that we believe everything is just a straight line.

What implicacion does this have relative to the official Big Bang theory?
the oldest must be on the edges of the universe, but where does this one begin?

Great news OP!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Dont forget the farther away a telescope looks the farther back in time they look as light takes 1 year to travel 1 lightyear (ly). So if we look at a galaxy 13billion ly away then we are actually looking at the light which took 13billion years to get here, or we are looking at it as it was 13billion years ago. It probably looks nothing like that now and may not even exist anymore!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thread was already started not only 2 hours before this one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The word modern is being used very loosely here now isn't it.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Extremely interesting. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Hopefully the slightly rudimentary custom forum software ATS is written on allows this thread to be merged with the existing thread.
edit on 7-10-2010 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I saw that someone had suggested that looking at a planet 13 billion lightyears away is actually a glimpse 13 billion years into the past. As light bends and deteriorates, wouldnt this image be lost if we were only observing its reflection? Maybe we should master this little bubble we call Earth before we start thinking outside the bubble. As we have only really had the ability to observe universes outside of our own for a very short time, I think it is safe to assume that we can only honestly say what a Universe 20-30 years old looks like (for all we know, they were not there before we looked).
As the modern scientific mind races to make its mark in a science journal, we gladly swallow all they throw at us, as if it were candy.
Ahh, any way, interesting post. I agree with the earlier poster that suggests this might have implications in regards to the big bang theory.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

this is really a really interesting find. There is so much mystery in the universe that im glad that we are still discovering new things about the universe.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hippycracker
Dont forget the farther away a telescope looks the farther back in time they look as light takes 1 year to travel 1 lightyear (ly). So if we look at a galaxy 13billion ly away then we are actually looking at the light which took 13billion years to get here, or we are looking at it as it was 13billion years ago. It probably looks nothing like that now and may not even exist anymore!

This is based purely on earths science, it is knowledge based around beliefs that pertains solely to this earth and nowhere else. It is what we have been told and not what we have personally experienced.

-Time and time again our science has been proven to be incorrect by newer discoveries and newer/better understandings of space using newer/better technology.

Only the other day the laws of physics were challenged by new discoveries. All of these new discoveries in space are very intriguing indeed, but we must not follow blindly, it would be wise to at least keep a cautious eye open.
edit on 7-10-2010 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet

What implicacion does this have relative to the official Big Bang theory?

My thought too.
Unless this galaxy is actually old and just looks young, otherwise this does raise questions about the Big Bang theory. (which is a theory).
I just don't think the Big Bang was the Big Everything Bang.
I would like to think it was a localized event, not the only one.

If it is a young galaxy, how did it get there? Was it some other big bang, or should I say 'Big Pop'. A product of another 'big pop' popping up all over?

Anyway, I don't fully subscribe to the 'BIG BANG' theory,
Perhaps it was more like 'big bang'.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hippycracker

The article states that ...

"We didn't think these sort of galaxies still existed, certainly not just a billion light years away."

This suggests that the discovery is significant specificaly because this galaxy is NOT thirteen billion lightyears or so away, but actualy relatively close. The distance means that although this galaxy looks similar to those found at the 13billion light year range, it is not nearly as far away, and therefore must be ancient, rather than just being so far away that its age is confused because of the range.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yes science is right until proven wrong

Yes modern is probably not the best term to describe something 1Billion years old as we see it but considering the apparent vastness of space it maybe an accurate statement

Yes other galaxy's are the same 13 billion light years away a huge amount 13,000,000,000 normal years the significant factor is that the object is 13X closer that is 12,000,000,000 normal years closer that is a huge amount and we will need to rethink a few things as the article states.

Thanks all for the reply's, flags & stars it has come to my attention that another thread beats me to it, i believe my post is better but that is up to the mods to decide how do i bring this to there attention? (in all fairness first is the winner)

much love Freedom_is_Slavery
Freedom is another form of slavery just well disguised. Those that think there free are merely happy slaves ...
edit on 7-10-2010 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: poor presentation

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

To me the Big Bang is a load of crap, imagine the hubris of mankind to determine the age of timelessness, to try to measure eternity, new matter is being moved around all the time, creation hasn't stopped, it just SEEMS to us as if something exploded, but what?

Time to rewrite the books again!

top topics

join