It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot/Sasquatch Fact or Fiction?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

One of my many interests, as a conspiracy theorists, over my lifetime, was "Bigfoot".

I say was in the past tense because while I love cryptozoology I no longer believe.

After decades, since the age six, of investigating this conspiracy all I have to say is it is a hoax.

Without convincing evidence, meaning a body, this is far too much nonsense.

The same can be said for "aliens" and "U.F.O.'s" anymore.

Evidence.

Not one iota, scrap, or ability to confirm these events in decades.

Call me skeptical, call me Ishamael, but don't call me late for dinner, I have seen no proof.

Worse yet, the further I dig, the closer I get to the "truth", the more I see ultra-secret Government involvement.

Aliens, the Boogeyman, and Creatures That Go Bump In the Night

Has anyone ever wondered why "Bigfoot", or "Sasquatch", or the "Yeti", or even "the Yowie", or even "Skunk-Ape" never leave behind a body, if and when they die, or get hit by a car, or people hiking in National Parks come across one why they never get pictures?

More than blurry, half-exposed, or even shaky video footage?

Well, fear is definitely a factor in that, because seeing something this montrous would scare any sane individual.

Because I suspect a hoax, fraud, even a bit of charlatanism going on here.

The reason?

Interesting indeed.

The majority of the sightings are in National Parks or extreme climates where few dare to travel.

Isolated.

Barren.

Easily keeping people away.

Except the most daring, adventurous, and fool-hardy.

Let me ask you why an isolated area would be an area where no one will travel.

The answer is simple.

Isolation, barren wastelands, National Forests, extreme climates are perfect places to hide things, or places.

That you do not want people discovering.

What better way to hide it and make certain none but the fool-hardy, virtually insane, and approaching lunatic fringe will dare?

And stick a taboo, 7 or 8 foot "creature" (most likely a giant among men, a man in a suit), to scare people away?

Skepticism is more than a good thing because having a bit of doubt is like a grain of salt.

When you're being lied to.

When you're being mislead.

When you're being lead on a wild-goose chase.

When you're tax money is not only being mis-appropriated but wasted.

On something you will never seen unless you sell your soul and become a Government insider.

Thirty-one years examining, investigating, and sifting through information I've made my decision.

"Bigfoot" is a hoax.

edit on 10/1/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth To The Post.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Ahh , you have presented a map of the USA...(the home of fiction in my mind).lol, a land where everyone wants their mug on TV, their 15 minutes of fame.
I wonder how many of these reports consisted of "i saw it in the corner of my eye" or " i saw hair sticking out from behind a tree". Periphial vision is funny thing, can play tricks on an untrained mind.

There would have to be hundreds of these BigFoots for it to be truely seen where your map presents, if not, how would a bigfoot travels these vast distance and not be seen ?

On a side note: what might be the life expectancy of a BigFoot ?? So far, they seem very talented in disappearing before the time of their death.We should have found a carcuss ofone by now, surely.

Or a these hollow earth creatures that come up to the surface for dares by the rest of the sasquatch community

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Or a these hollow earth creatures that come up to the surface for dares by the rest of the sasquatch community

You just never know...

On another note: how does one explain personal, detailed accounts from otherwise extremely reliable people? Those who have a background or amounts of experience (many who were/are skeptics/non-believers) who have had an experience they cannot explain, with regards to a sighting or an evidence trail?

I believe it's one of those situations where rational "day time" explanations can be found for things that our mind finds irrational or incomprehensible. Many things can be explained away, but does that negate what they may really be?

I don't know, but we do know the mind plays tricks (both on us and for us) that are hard to decipher, after the fact.

All it takes is one personal experience to change the mind of the most ardent skeptic...

edit on 1-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

People have been reporting sightings for years now you look at those stories and you wonder about it.To just reject the existence of bigfoot is narrow minded at best.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

To answer your question, LadySkadi, fear is a motivator.

It ingrains in our heads details we would rather forget.

It as well pushes us past the regular extremes of emotions.

Imagine, if you will, being chased through a forest by a 7 or 8 foot "creature".

It does weird things to people's heads.

Before they were skeptics.

Now firm believers because of the "experience" itself.

The same exact emotions, adrenaline, and psychosis that happens when this happens is linked in P.T.S.D.

Post-Traumatic Stress can and will rearrange the chemicals in someone's brain.

This is why war veterans are watched so closely and counseled.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

If it is closer to a human than an ape then it thinks more like a man and would be smarter than say a bear or any other wild animal and maybe and this is of course speculation on my part, It may be able to think and decide to avoid humans.

Although some of the medical acadamic field may accredit it to some psychological abnormality, I too often decide to avoid humans as much as possible, as do other humans. Case in point I often find myself talking to some automated system when calling alleged groups or organizations of humans, rather than actual humans.

Star & Flag Slayer, keep up the good work
ET

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike dangerously

People have been reporting sightings for years now you look at those stories and you wonder about it.To just reject the existence of bigfoot is narrow minded at best.

I have to say I agree with you mike dangerously.

To reject the idea of the existence of "Bigfoot" without investigating is narrow-minded.

But what if every turn of the page, every rock turned over, every picture all you find is a hoax?

I know how a man walks.

The gait of a man verses a monkey or ape is different and the alleged "Bigfoot" has the gait of a man.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

You just never know...

On another note: how does one explain personal, detailed accounts from otherwise extremely reliable people? Those who have a background or amounts of experience (many who were/are skeptics/non-believers) who have had an experience they cannot explain, with regards to a sighting or an evidence trail?

Magic mushrooms ? hehe. What do you call a reliable eyewitness?

edit on 1/10/2010 by scubagravy because: someone please U2U me on how to section a quote out to reply properly please. Those who know me, understand why i need this help. cheers

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

If it is closer to a human than an ape then it thinks more like a man and would be smarter than say a bear or any other wild animal and maybe and this is of course speculation on my part, It may be able to think and decide to avoid humans.

Agreed. Avoiding humans implies intelligence.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Hey, Slay, thanks, man... very well presented.

For me the great preponderance of evidence - worldwide - is simply too compelling to ignore or ignorantly brush aside.

That's not even to mention the vast areas of wilderness in our great land and in others. Heck even in New Jersey, just an hour out of Manhattan, there is an area where one can walk for 26 miles and encounter nothing but forest. And there are countless others that make that land pale in comparison.

Such areas just don't see much if any human traffic at all... I see no reason whatsoever that intelligent creatures can't spend entire lifetimes undetected by our lot. And I dare say an animal such as postulated here would be a master of any environment it calls home, whereas even the most seasoned hunter would be merely a visitor, with the only likely exception being indigenous people... those around before being stripped of their ways and confined to small areas by invaders/conquerors, that is.

As a guy trained in audio recording the yelling and screaming clips are pretty compelling. Given the inverse square law, these things are seriously loud! I only wish I had the resources to capture my own, as the great majority of the ones I've heard (not just the ones in the OP) were done on some pretty lame gear with lots of noise. Ahhh, someday...

I have also heard recordings of what appears to be, even after repeated listening, a sort of language... very, very strange indeed!

As for the Patterson/Gimlin film, no matter what was said, it, to me is most compelling. I've not seen other video or film that compares, really.

So is it proven? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it likely? In my opinion, Yes.

edit on 10/1/2010 by PixelDuster because: Reason? Ha!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Well which country would you prefer and believe??

I did write a thread on Bigfoot. I should have included a map showing Canadian sightings as well. I'm not sure how well documented are the sightings of other supposed giant hairy hominids say in Russia, Tibet or down-under eh?

edit on 1-10-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Originally posted by mike dangerously

I have to say I agree with you mike dangerously.

To reject the idea of the existence of "Bigfoot" without investigating is narrow-minded.

But what if every turn of the page, every rock turned over, every picture all you find is a hoax?

I know how a man walks.

The gait of a man verses a monkey or ape is different and the alleged "Bigfoot" has the gait of a man.

To be fair, bigfoot is always described as more man like than ape like and as we have never really observed one who is to say what the actual gait is like. I do tend to agree that in the Patterson film my immediate reaction is always 'that's a dude in a monkey costume'.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

What do you call a reliable eyewitness?

My father... on a hunting trip, though not an eyewitness of the actual Bigfoot, but an eyewitness to what was left behind which = a big question mark without an answer. A near miss to the passing of a creature (across the road that he had stopped on, in the middle of a snow storm) with the residual "feeling that something was still there, watching him" raising hairs on his neck. Footprints that were larger than a man's and a right-left gait (easily visible in the snow) that a 6'3" man could not step off in a single step.

Basically, all I'm saying is that there are questions that aren't answered and can't be answered by anyone other than those who have "been there" and even then, those that have don't have the answers.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Here's my indirect experiences Slayer.

A friend told me about a sighting his friend saw a number of years ago. His friend was driving one night along Oregon I84 and it was raining real bad. There were only a few cars on the road. He sees a large figure walking on the side of the road from a distance and contemplates picking up the person. As he gets near he notices the person is freakishly tall, large and black in color all round. He already moved into the side of the road as he approached the creature. He eventually freaked out and moved back on the road and rushed passed the creature. There was another car behind him who also would have seen this creature. That car did not stop either.

Another friend told me that another sign that Big Foot is close to you is the fact that there is a fowl odor in the air. I don't know if he personally witnessed the smell, but I think he heard it from a few friends that did.

I have heard and seen enough to believe. I never thought about it being an ancient ape. One thing is certain. They are playing the same game as the UFOs. They might be related.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Fair call lol, But the Tibetin ones would be hairless wouldnt they ?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yes well a reliable eye witness, may very well be one's father, i agree. My question was more posed at ones sighting of one with big feet though.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy

Fair call lol, But the Tibetin ones would be hairless wouldnt they ?

I'm just curious. Why would one think that?
Wouldn't it get cold up in those snow covered mountains?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Bigfoot? As far as I am concerned, I think it is a yarn of fiction. To live all these years in the Pacific Northwest, and among loggers, hunters, and others, and none have been caught, killed, or found dead? Moreover, all we have is the video you analyzed for us, and some circumstantial evidence from eye witnesses. Wouldn't we have found more trace evidence such as hair or nail clippings to do DNA analysis?

Everything I have seen on the topic is often full of more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. I am not ruling out anything regarding the creatures existence, but at present I am a skeptic. Still, the world is a big place and we often think science has got many of the unknowns solved, but there are still things that allude them to this day. If the creature was ever found, it would win someone the Nobel Prize. Right now, all we have is some interesting stories from those who claim they have seen them, heard them, or have found evidence they claim is associated with Bigfoot. Perhaps the creature is hunkered down in the secluded forest hideaway of fiction and having a ball as we search long and hard for a figment of man's imagination?

For what its worth, the story makes for some good old fashioned folklore and decent conversation around a campfire. Star and Flag, Slayer!

edit on 1-10-2010 by Jakes51 because: Removed some text

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thirty-one years examining, investigating, and sifting through information I've made my decision.

"Bigfoot" is a hoax.

Well I hope some day [Preferably soon] You'll be proven wrong.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Thank you LadySkadi for coming forth with your family's personal experience I know that these types of disclosures do require a bit of fortitude in the face of possible criticisms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join