It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sphinx could be 2.5 Million years old based on the age of the Sahara

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I was watching "How the Earth was made" on the History channel and they were discussing the age of the Sahara desert. They determined, which is well known, that sand drifts to the west from the desert and eventially falls into the Atlantic ocean. They then drilled some core samples in the ocean until they stopped finding the sand which was almost 3 million years old, thus determining the age of the desert.

If the Sahara dersert used to be a tropical climate 2.5 Million years ago and the Sphinx has water erosion from rain, wouldn't that possibly make the Sphinx 2.5 million years old?

I think that could be possible, especially if the Sphinx had been buried in sand for millions of years protecting it.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think the water erosion around the Sphinx could have been caused by the deluge that was described in the Bible. I believe it was proven that there was massive amounts of water around 2500-3500 yrs ago.

I think anyway.

edit on 28-9-2010 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

40 days and nights would not cause that sort of erosion.

There was rain in Egypt about 10,000 years ago I think I remember Graham Hancock mention. I don't think it matters really that the Sahara is that old.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

Exactly, erosion takes hundreds of years.

I don't know, but as soon as I watched that History channel program it got me thinking and I figured it was worth the discussion.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

You are probably right. I couldn't remember the exact time frame, but 2.5 million years is not the answer. Thanks for the clarification.

edit on 28-9-2010 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Why can't 2.5 million years be the answer?

Not saying I don't believe you...but why??

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
When I read the threads on a speculation that one or all of the great pyramids could have been really huge water pumps, I then thought to myself, what if the water was pumped around the sphinx thus causing the erosion.

If 2.5 million years old that would be fascinating. If humans turned modern in 2 million years, who's to say other life lineages did not modernize in their own 2 million year life time frame.

I love this topic.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think we are so off the mark (as far as the REAL history of planet Earth) that when mankind actually 'gets it' it's likely to blow every ones mind.

I always had a feeling, someone in Egypt knows the truth about Giza (and its surroundings) and for 'damage control' (because the truth would nullify the Bible) they put that Egyptology idiot guy, Zahi, in the limelight making all these false assertions (much like his show on History Channel) about its history.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I just don't believe the age of the Sphinx is tied to the age of the desert...that's all.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
One estimate does put the age of the Sphinx at around 11,500 BC a wet period followed that, and the water eroision would be compatible with that. Just search ATS. It's an intriuging theory.

2.5M is just making a goofy statement with no supporting evidence.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have never been a firm believer in our methods of aging things. Incredible as it seems Science is only now discovering that the Sun is emitting a new form of particle that has an effect on the deterioration rate of sub-atomic particles. That can sure put a kicker on aging things correctly!

I do believe the Sphinx has a new head. There is no way anyone would go to such lengths to create a body that is so out of portion with its head! NO WAY JOSE! If anything I believe it was a Lions head and quite possibly it was a pair of Lions. I believe that if we look to the Left or the Right of the Sphinx we may in fact find that it was an elaborate "entry" into a Kingdom. No sense in going through an entry without sentries to guard and protect it.

Here is a picture of the stone tablet that was found between the paws of the Sphinx, on it there is a story of the Sphinx talking to a Pharaoh.

Stairway to Heaven
erected between the paws of the Sphinx by Thothmes IV (and dedicated to the emblem of the Winged Disk), the king related that the Sphinx spoke to him and promised him a long and prosperous reign if only he would remove the sands that encroached upon his (the Sphinx's) limbs.

Interesting to note that there are two Sphinx's on this tablet, as for the heads, they look much more proportioned but I am not sure they are human.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'll post a link, but the Sahara was getting good precipitation at least 8 to 6 thousand BC.

"Climate of the Sahara Desert
Although hot and extremely dry today, it is believed that the Sahara Desert has undergone various climatic shifts for the last few hundred thousand years. For example, during the last glaciation, it was bigger than it is today because precipitation in the area was low. But from 8000 BCE to 6000 BCE, precipitation in the desert increased because of the development of low pressure over ice sheets to its north. Once these ice sheets melted however, the low pressure shifted and the northern Sahara dried out but the south continued to receive moisture due to the presence of a monsoon.
Around 3400 BCE, the monsoon moved south to where it is today and the desert again dried out to the state it is in today. In addition, the presence of the Intertropical Convergence Zone, ITCZ, in the southern Sahara Desert prevents moisture from reaching the area, while storms north of the desert stop before reaching it as well. As a result, the annual rainfall in the Sahara is below 2.5 cm (25 mm) per year."

The disappearance of the ice sheets from the Ice Age made the desert what it is today.

geography.about.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
it goes to show that MAYBE the current civilization isnt exactly the first advanced one, with flight and advanced technology
Think, if we wipe ourselves out now, in a few 10k years, our ancestors are gonna speculate the exact same thing

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I watched a documentary years ago on the Great Sphinx. One theory they had was that it was built before the desert existed there. They say that when the NIle river emptied into the Atlantic Ocean that area was lush forest or even rain forest hence the massive amounts of water erosion on the Sphinx. When the Nile was rerouted for whatever reason the specific areas were no longer a part of the water shed and dried up and now you have the desert. I believe this theory %100. The desert probably had existed before but after the river changed course into the Med. sea It gave way for the desert to grow. As a matter of fact the desert is growing larger today.

edit on 28-9-2010 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I have also read that there have been a few rainy periods in Egypt within the past 10,000 years. I also read that the 3 great pyramids were built in correlation to each other to act as a map of the Orion constellation when it was directly above them. (It is said that the Pharaohs sought to ascend to the star of Sirius in the afterlife, which is in the Orion constellation) And when astrologists researched when Orion last was directly over Egypt they found it was in 10,500 B.C. I thought that was pretty interesting.

And some have theorized that the Pyramids were built to reverberate and utilize energy coming from either the Earth or from the Sun. If it was from the Earths vibrations, some have said it could of been used as a weapon or a communication device! And if it was from the Sun, some have said it could of been used to power some unknown device or machine, or relieve tension from the earth to ward of earthquakes, or to build energy that could be used to empower the human brain and/or act as a spiritual enhancement tool. All this is just speculation though with no real evidence, but it is fun to hypothesize about!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
www.davidpbillington.net...
Redating the Sphinx
Covers most of the major arguments and findings, but you have to draw your own conclusions.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

I have this to add as well

community.discovery.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The Great Sphinx of Giza reborn as a lion in the desert
09 December 08

The below quote is in the body of this article, more detail at the link.

Egypt’s last time period where there was a significant amount of rainfall ended during the late 4th to early 3rd millennium BC.

Schoch claims the amount of water erosion the Sphinx has experienced indicates a construction date no later than the 6th millennium BC or 5th millennium BC, at least two thousand years before the widely accepted construction date and 1,500 years prior to the accepted date for the beginning of Egyptian civilisation.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

You may want to check out Scott Creighton's Forum which has many thread detailing the possible age of the Pyramids and the Sphinx
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
If humans turned modern in 2 million years, who's to say other life lineages did not modernize in their own 2 million year life time frame.

Who is to say that the builders of The Sphinx were human? After all, they did make that monument in their image, and then man felt the need to carve a disproportionate head atop it. I'm going to bet that The Felinean Race came to earth a very long time ago, and one of their monuments just so happened to be in Egypt.

If you think about it, cat symbolism is everywhere, all over the world, even places where there aren't cats, they still worship the cats, why???

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Please don't bring the Supreme and All Powerful Ruler of Antiquities into this!! xD

It is because of him a lot of information about the Sphinx is yet undiscovered and the discoveries we do have took forever to get because of him. There even is tons of conspiracy of him hiding discoveries until later when Egypt needs tourism or just to foot some other agenda.

But yeah, don't bring him into this!! >:0

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join