It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Pledge to America" Unveiled by Republicans (Full Text)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
So basically they plan on giving us more of the same, why should anyone believe even a fraction of what they have put here and why would anyone want the rest? One the tax cuts on the wealthy have got to stop period. They say they want to return America back to the prosperity it once had but every chance they have gotten since to do so have further destroyed the economy. Yet people will buy this warmed over crap as something good. Not one thing in their list has any plans on job creation, yet the morons on here that will back anything and everything these chuckleheads say are constantly whining about the social programs that Republican tax cuts and free trade agreements have made an almost absolute necessity.

The vast majority of problems we have budget and program funding wise are the results of cutting back the upper class taxes. When the programs were instituted the tax rate was much higher allowing for the programs to be funded. Now they sit underfunded and falling apart because some genius said hey if the rich guy has more money to spend itll work its way back down into the economy. Well it is long past time to face the facts it does not happen that way. All the wealth has been funneled to the top and it stays there, and yet as each year the amount of people that have managed by luck and providence to hold on to their job gets smaller and smaller, we still have people that will turn a blind eye to the facts. The Republican and Democrat party have but one agenda lie to the American people by any means necessary to remain in power. They do not care about the citizens, they only care about how fast they can line their own pockets.

What I see in this pretty much reads as hey guys vote for us we will make it so the gays can't marry and we will go kick Iran's ass even though we are broke and cannot afford yet another war, all the while ensuring we do everything possible to take your last few dollars from you because my friend over here who actually produces nothing would like to have them.

The only agenda we should even consider backing at all is one that does the following:

Withdraws us from any and all free trade agreements with nations that do not have a standard of living within reasonable equivalency to our own,closes and discontinue any tax breaks for companies operating overseas and giving them to the ones that will operate here.

An Amendment to balance the budget while at the same time making sure that it is illegal to spend money that is in Social Security on anything but Social Security. This was never meant to be the Governments piggy bank, yet it got treated as such.

Increases the taxes on the wealthy back to a standard where the programs that are already in place can be fully funded to the levels where they operate as they should.

Streamline the bureaucracy of Government jobs, there is no reason that they should not be able to fire Government employees for not doing their jobs correctly and efficiently without a stack of complaints three years long and 6 inches thick. These people are working for the citizens they should be out to do their absolute best work, not showing up and doing the minimum required work to get a paycheck. If they can't hack it get rid of them.

Sets term limits for Congress, we can no longer afford to have career politicians in office period. This only invites massive amounts of greed and corruption at the top levels of our government.

Removes all private money from election campaigns, creates a public fund that all candidates are able to draw from equally. You want to know the real reason why we only have two parties? Because no one else can afford to run against them in appreciable numbers to actually make a difference. You level the playing field and in a few years we would likely have 4 or 5 major contending parties.

Requires those on public assistance to perform community service to get those benefits, where applicable. Why should anyone be allowed to stay home and do nothing and receive food, money etc. You want community funds then by all means do something to help the community at large.

But these are just my thoughts on what real change and hope should look like.

edit on 9/24/2010 by Jovi1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/24/2010 by Jovi1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

Right on. The GOP "theory" is so whacked it really defines any application of logic. In the past decades, the wealth distribution was becoming skewed towards the upper percentile, i.e. a small fraction of public ended up owning more, and the majority ended up owning less. According to GOP such distribution must lead to massive job creation (logic behind extending tax cut for the most rich). Now, did it happen? Just look around.

It's patently false and the fact that people are still buying it just a result of poor education and brain wash.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Exactly right. More bogus rhetoric. Not even subtle, the timing...is it? With mid-term elections just months away.....

From today's (September 24th) Washington Examiner editorial page. (The Examiner is, BTW, a very right-wing leaning rag...distributed for FREE around the D.C. environs. Doubt anyone is foolish enough to actually pay to subscribe, but not sure about that).

Occasionally, cartoonist Nate Beeler takes a break from bashing Obama (and, as they constantly write in their headlines, the "Dems") with some (surprisingly) balanced jabs at the "Repubs":

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2810f4ff0571.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I especially love this gem.

- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit

Now, just think about this one just a little while. "Congressional approval for any new federal regulation". Isn't that exactly what bills do anyway?

I mean I know the average American is nearly brain dead, but cmon!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
Now, just think about this one just a little while. "Congressional approval for any new federal regulation". Isn't that exactly what bills do anyway?

Do you know who creates regulations whatukno?

C'mon, you can do it. Think....a little more.....light bulb yet....okay I will help you.

Just remember though I helped you out with this heavy thinking item.

They are stating with that, agencies like the EPA cannot institute regulation that will cause increases in debt.

Now, was that soooooo hard?

edit to add- I see someone starred you right away even though your comment is about as bright as a burnt out fluorescent light.

edit on 24-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

Originally posted by whatukno

Do you know who creates regulations whatukno?

C'mon, you can do it. Think....a little more.....light bulb yet....okay I will help you.

Just remember though I helped you out with this heavy thinking item.

They are stating with that, agencies like the EPA cannot institute regulation that will cause increases in debt.

Now, was that soooooo hard?

edit to add- I see someone starred you right away even though your comment is about as bright as a burnt out fluorescent light.

edit on 24-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

Stop patting yourself on the back here because you missed a salient point -- the budget is a law that the Congress must pass. Only in that way the deficit can be effected. EPA regulations of any sort in and by themselves can't cause any change in deficit. It's Congress' action, solely. So speaking of bulbs, your comment was an equivalent of a rock to begin with.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Yep the EPA, or any of the myriad of other agencies do not pass regulation that effects budgetary items whatsoever. Nope of course not. Nada, Nyet .

Oh the humor. I guess the new Consumer Protection Agency run by the Federal Reserve will not effect the debt also.

Now, where did I put that bucket o sand. I just came up with a new idea I am promoting. It is called the bucket o sand, for those times where there is no sand around to bury one's head in.

Tell you what, how many does this thread need, bout five?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
NYT article

The late Irving Kristol, one of the intellectual godfathers of modern conservatism, once wrote frankly about why he threw his support behind tax cuts that would worsen the budget deficit: his task, as he saw it, was to create a Republican majority, “so political effectiveness was the priority, not the accounting deficiencies of government.” In short, say whatever it takes to gain power. That’s a philosophy that now, more than ever, holds sway in the movement Kristol helped shape.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

House Republicans just released a draft of their legislative agenda for the next Congress, a 21-page "Pledge to America" that they will formally unveil Thursday morning at a Virginia hardware store.

At a Virginia Hardware store?
Sorry, that's hilarious!

I especially like the one about every bill having a citation of constitutional authority.

They stole that from the Tea Party!

If they did only HALF of what they're supposedly committed to according to this document, I'd vote for them! They say everything the people want to hear!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If they did only HALF of what they're supposedly committed to according to this document, I'd vote for them! They say everything the people want to hear!

Does it really matter whether it was a hardware store or a daycare center? Is that all you've got to nitpick? If so I think they are doing pretty well.

To the rest of you naysayers - how is this any different than what the Democrats did to get Obama elected in 2008? They clearly made all sorts of promises that they clearly didn't intend to keep. If they had accomplished just one small iota of what they promised to do in 2008 then people wouldn't be this upset. And you cannot deny that people are upset with the lousy job the Democrats have done these past two years. If you do, then you're in denial.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by black cat

Does it even matter who did or did not do what at this point?

Half the problem with the current Congress getting anything done is the Republican Party making itself irrelevant by just saying NO to everything. They have already demonstrated their fine leadership skills in grinding the business of governing to a halt every chance they had, yet you propose to give them the reins of power yet again when they spent 8 years destroying the infrastructure of this country based on this "Pledge to America"?

We bought this once before it lead us right to where we are now, until people get off of the Party bandwagons we will get nowhere and fast. The only difference between and incumbent and the opposition is, we are paying one of them to lie cheat and steal from us and the other is hoping on one special day he will get his turn at it. People really need to grow up and realize that the finger pointing has got to stop it didn't help you much when you were five it doesn't help you much now. Nothing will change until the Parties and private money is taken out of the electoral system period.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

At a Virginia Hardware store?
Sorry, that's hilarious.

Yes....but, even funnier when you also learn it was at the "Tart Lumber Co.", in Sterling, VA. (This is near the Dulles International Airport. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to WHY they may have chosen such a 'convenient' spot???
(On a Thursday?)

And, the analysis in today's papers is even funnier:

Dana Milbank: Pledge can't hide arrogance

Dana Milbank • September 24, 2010

It took the Republicans just three minutes to violate their Pledge to America. In a lumber yard near Dulles airport Thursday morning, House Republicans handed out copies of their pledge, which, among other things, promises to reign in an "arrogant and out-of-touch government of self-appointed elites."

Yet moments after taking the stage to face the cameras, Republican leaders appointed themselves arrogant elites. They compared themselves to the Founding Fathers and likened their actions at Tart Lumber Company to the signing of the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told the reporters he would speak slowly and with clarity, "just as John Hancock boldly signed his name to the Declaration of Independence so that even Britain's King George could read it."

www.democratandchronicle.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I think Jon Stewart summed up this "pledge" quite well. These are not new ideas presented by the GOP. This is the same crap they have been peddling since Reagan.

The Daily Show

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

ouse Republicans just released a draft of their legislative agenda for the next Congress, a 21-page "Pledge to America" that they will formally unveil Thursday morning at a Virginia hardware store.

Elites pandering to those that actually have to work for a living. Reminds me of when GWB used to clear brush for the photo op so people would think he was a "good ole boy" then back to the hot tub, coc aine, and Jack and let the wetbacks finish the real labor.

I've got to hand it to the neocons as they are geniuses at marketing BS to those that have let their ideology get in the way of their common sense. But they can use the same old lame stratagy/talkingpoints over and over and the right laps it up every time.

Does this look familiar?
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 24-9-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I agree, the GOP are masters at marketing and selling their agenda. While I have complaints with both parties, I tend to think the Dems actually have the more logical and sound ideas....but they are terrible at selling them to the American people.

Its like trying to have a debate with someone who feels that if he yells the loudest it makes him right. You cant argue with people like that unless you decide that you are going to try to out yell them.

The GOP are great at putting a turd in a shiny wrapper and getting people to buy it.

It blows my mind to see dirt poor people who call themselves Republicans. They say things like, "If I were rich, I wouldnt want to be taxed so much" When the wealthy are complaining about their tax rate going from 36%-39%, it blows my mind. Their quality of life will not drop one bit by an increase in taxes. And frankly they need to be paying back into the system that allowed them to become as wealthy as they are.

I think Bill Maher nailed it with this article.

Bill Maher

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You know what is funny about this whole "Pledge" to america. Who wrote it!?? You know who?? The former Exxon and AIG lobbyist. This is the big corporates trying to take over. Playing and simple. I also like how they took much of the democrats health care ideas. They also want tax cuts to small businesses like, the chicago tribune, msnbc, tabasco and many others.

www.youtube.com...

Small businesses are a joke and many people don't know the true meaning.

money.cnn.com...

www.examiner.com...

Lobbyist wrote pledge ^

edit on 25-9-2010 by Ignorance_Defier because: edit link

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Interesting...but..why would they pledge something to us,w hen they are just as responable for causing this mess in the first place? i thinkis its nothing more than a gimmick to get public suport and votes in, so they can have control of the house* it was meryl lynch that got corporations into congress* until corporations collapse. or finally congress barrs them and lobbyistts...thier there to stay raping us and making us pay more taxes so they can grow ....and i doubt thier gunna allow that to happen.. its legalized racketerring bascially is what it is as well as money laundering*

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

you know if you dont like they way i do things then you dont

simple fact i cannot be everywhere and do everything the way everyone expects me to do them.

you dont like what i say and what i write then write the posts for me.

the majority of people on this site need to lighten up and stop taking things so seriously all the time and while they are serious in nature you people really need to take a step back.

sin yes its a religious word and it does have that religous meaning but it also has a literal meaning

and if would have taken a step back and consider for a moment it was being used in a jokkingly context.

my own religious veiws on this site are not relevant and there will never be a moment on this site that i will tell and make you beleive in your maker when it comes to morality and ethics thats between you and youself.

plain and simple it was a joke you didnt like and you took offense its a shame really simply because it wasnt meant as one.

edit on 25-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

simple fact i cannot be everywhere and do everything the way everyone expects me to do them.

the majority of people on this site need to lighten up and stop taking things so seriously all the time and while they are serious in nature you people really need to take a step back.

It doesn't matter what I like and what I don't like. Just pointing out that you're making baseless assumptions about where I stand politically based on a joke I made regarding Christine O'Donnell's position on masturbation. And, further, pointing out how you immediately went into "bash someone I perceive to be on the other side" mode after you just got done starting a thread about how you feel the right is perpetually vilified on this website. Maybe you should go back and take a look at some of your own posts before telling someone else to lighten up.

and if would have taken a step back and consider for a moment it was being used in a jokkingly context.

my own religious veiws on this site are not relevant and there will never be a moment on this site that i will tell and make you beleive in your maker when it comes to morality and ethics thats between you and youself.

plain and simple it was a joke you didnt like and you took offense its a shame really simply because it wasnt meant as one.

Sorry, but I'm having some trouble understanding what you're saying here. What was being used in a humorous context? What was a joke I didn't like? Or was it not a joke because you then say "because it wasnt meant as one".

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

It doesn't matter what I like and what I don't like. Just pointing out that you're making baseless assumptions about where I stand politically based on a joke I made regarding Christine O'Donnell's position on masturbation. And, further, pointing out how you immediately went into "bash someone I perceive to be on the other side" mode after you just got done starting a thread about how you feel the right is perpetually vilified on this website. Maybe you should go back and take a look at some of your own posts before telling someone else to lighten up.

Sorry, but I'm having some trouble understanding what you're saying here. What was being used in a humorous context? What was a joke I didn't like? Or was it not a joke because you then say "because it wasnt meant as one".

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join