It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could SETI be taking the wrong road to finding ET?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
A definite Yes...the wrong road...At best we will receive electromagnetic signals from a civilasation that moved on a million years ago. But then again, what other technology do we have which can be used for receiving communication signals from outerspace? Quantum entanglement...?....don't think so.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Oh hey I didnt realize you were an expert in ufology, marine biology, and appear to know everything about the earth and what is and what isnt possible. So excuse me and please accept my apology.

I merely had an opinion that SETI was looking for signals that spread 360 degrees at light speed until they become part of the background noise after however many light years. And that the communication method they seek will be outdated the very second we need strong signals at vast distances.

Not that I'm super smart or anything fun like that, but I try to be polite. Anyways Captain Know It All, you gave me a good idea for a new thread.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Well I guess we could try broadcasting a signal as well as listening for them similar to the information we put inside Voyage 1. [...]

We've been broadcasting radio for about a century now, and maybe one of these days an alien predator ship will show up to kill/eat/enslave us all for poking our heads out of the gopher hole before we knew what we were up against.

Who knows
Not me certainly

Me neither. Aliens. Who can figure 'em?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerForLight
No, thinking about it now, quantum entanglement is the obvious answer. Its the only answer.

Well, the only problem with quantum entanglement is you still have to haul half of the entangled bits to wherever you want the message to be received. And the only way to do that is the old horse and buggy route. A Stargate, for instance. Yeah, traveling through the gate is easy. But somebody has to do the legwork and actually put the first receiving Stargate where you want to go. I guess you could automate it. But it will still take a long, long time.

No, it's probably best to look somewhere other than the electromagnetic spectrum to find away around that light speed limit. But it's difficult. We've only been poking around with EM fields for 150 years or so. It might take a little longer for us to find a workable alternative.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
SETI is a waste of time

everyone should watch this video

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

No, thinking about it now, quantum entanglement is the obvious answer. Its the only answer.

Well, the only problem with quantum entanglement is you still have to haul half of the entangled bits to wherever you want the message to be received. And the only way to do that is the old horse and buggy route. A Stargate, for instance. Yeah, traveling through the gate is easy. But somebody has to do the legwork and actually put the first receiving Stargate where you want to go. I guess you could automate it. But it will still take a long, long time.

No, it's probably best to look somewhere other than the electromagnetic spectrum to find away around that light speed limit. But it's difficult. We've only been poking around with EM fields for 150 years or so. It might take a little longer for us to find a workable alternative.

Right well the horse and buggy route worked when I was thinking of it because I figured whoever was traveling would be the ones to talk to anyways... You wouldnt want to talk to a world with no inhabitants. But then how do you dial a number? The limitation in my mind if this tech ever develops would be the problem of not being able to dial out.. you are stuck like two cups with a string between them.

In the movie "Lost in Space" the idiot family took off to build a stargate on their own once they reached said destination.

If how we think of a stargate is like it is in the Stargate movie, than why not build it first and send it out with the ship, so the entire way you can come back and forth either upgrading or even replacing the whole method of travel... En route..

But of course there is the stargate method that David Sereda talked about at one of the UFO congresses.
His theory means you dont need to build the second gate and send it there. You could just go there right away....

www.latest-ufo-sightings.net...

Right about 1 hour 10 minutes he talks about the pyramids differentials and a possible stargate theory. pretty righteous stuff

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Oh hey I didnt realize you were an expert in ufology, marine biology, and appear to know everything about the earth and what is and what isnt possible. So excuse me and please accept my apology.

I merely had an opinion that SETI was looking for signals that spread 360 degrees at light speed until they become part of the background noise after however many light years. And that the communication method they seek will be outdated the very second we need strong signals at vast distances.

Not that I'm super smart or anything fun like that, but I try to be polite. Anyways Captain Know It All, you gave me a good idea for a new thread.

No one is an expert in "Ufology" in the Extraterrestrial sense as there isn't any valid data to study I'm also not an expert on Unicornology Ghostology or Elfology, I don't have to be an expert in marine biology to know there more chance of finding a new life form in an ocean then a pond.

You didn't "Merely" have an opinion about SETI were looking for the wrong type of signals you said they were looking in the wrong place and they should try looking "here" for which I pointed out that there are already thousand of scientists looking for new forms of life "here" everyday.

Having an opinion that differs from yours and explaining why I think you are wrong doesn't make me a "know it all" it make me someone who thinks you are wrong, If you can't take having floors in your arguments pointed out then I guess it isn't much of an argument.

You try to be polite?
By answering a counter point to your argument with childish name calling and personal attack! Well done on the politeness there!

Whats your new thread going to be about, Why people shouldn't be allowed to disagree with you and why it's good to call people names?

edit on 23-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Alright well I shot myself in the foot with that post lol. Which I wouldnt have noticed if you didnt point out. I apologize and thank you for keeping your composure.

If I am not mistaken, when SETI was formed there was still heavy interest in investigating UFOs even from the US military. Then came the thought that SETI could just as easily been searching here. I wasnt trying to say that I thought they were completely wrong, only that they probably were.

But that goes along with my personal belief that they are here already. Then yes, its like I want them to look into the pond before they go into the ocean. Only I thought they should do both. Since its speculation both ways no?

As far as the thread I thought about although perhaps it would be redundant, would be the question;

if SETI is wrong (and I do mean if), then what would be other ways of accomplishing the task?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerForLight

No worries..

It's good to be passionate about subjects you feel strongly about, There would be little point in this site if people didn't have strong opinions

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
There are many different ways of communication here on Earth....talking, writing, reading body language, insects use certain scents and vibrations, some animals interact using certain moans in a different tone...so why can't "E.T.s" communicate in these ways and possibly ways we have never used and never will....considering it takes several light years to get to planets in our solar system it'd take radio waves over a life time to reach a distant planet....by the time we get something if we do and its even possible...it'd be decades old...maybe centuries.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Now the question becomes does a fully cloaked object leave any traceable signature behind?

....... governments barely have any explaining to do.

Since I am no scientist I don't scientifically know if cloaked objects (UFO's) leave traceable signatures.

I believe they do but not all of these 'traces' can be picked up (yet) by human technologies.

Governments are divided: some like to explain and disclose (some) but in countries where economics (profit) and high technology walk hand in hand their government prefers not to explain anything let alone disclose.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join