It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could SETI be taking the wrong road to finding ET?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As far as we know, we could be the only civilization using radio waves as a form of communication.

If ET turns out to be FAR more advanced than us, then they wouldnt be using radio waves most likely, due to the light speed barrier, and its restraints. With this being said, how would we communicate with them?

Say there is a world with beings on it, at a similar stage of civilization as us, still dependant on their planet for resources, havent left their homeworld yet, and have barely even explored their own solar system. It is probable that they are using radio waves as a form of communication, but sending them out into the void of space is so inneffective, they have just given up on radio waves.

What do you think could be some possible ways, other than radio and light radiation to contact ET?

Possibly an ansible-like subject, similar to that seen in Ender's Game?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Good point!
It's not that other intelligent life aren't using radio waves, but perhaps The ETs that we wish to make contact with (the ones who can do interstellar travel) do not use radio waves, and can somehow communicate telepathically on an entirely different plane?

I sometimes wonder if SETI is a cover up for TPTB so that we can keep radio wave disks & technology that affect our bodies, out in the open, without anyone ever questioning it. It be interesting if Haarp somehow had a connection to SETI. Don't know how, just a thought.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

To be honest they probably use entangled pairs to communicate. We can already do this and a race far beyond us could have easily have mastered it. We are only 200,000 years old as a species. Imagine a species 1,000,000,000 years older?

We already have some pretty insane tech.

Imagine what we could do with even 100 more years?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Could you please explain tangled pairs, or provide me with a website?

It soudns very interesting, and i agree, we have gotten REALLY far technologically in the past 200,000 years

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

If ET turns out to be FAR more advanced than us, then they wouldnt be using radio waves most likely, due to the light speed barrier, and its restraints.

A FAR more advanced race than us may not be using radio waves as the norm, but that doesn't mean that wouldn't be able to pick them up...it seems a fair assumption that a race with superior technology to ours, can cover the whole spectrum of communication - IMO of course.

And anyways, SETI is tool - they couldn't find an alien race if it crept up behind them...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3cab587870fa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Some folks think that aliens might be interdimentional beings. If that's the case, it may be better to try using a crystal ball or a ouija board to contact them.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3536df2e0579.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

It's quite ridicilous to even think for 1 sec that an far more advanced Race could ever be picked up by SETI if that Race didn't want that to happen.

I believe it's one of Man's most horrendous characteristics: that man (in general) thinks they are Top of the Evolutionairy ladder. Being quite a bit more humble should be much more better

As for the OP's Q 'what other methodes of comunication could be possible with ET's?"
1. Tapping into the Zero Field of Energy where all is One.
2. Communicating on Quantum level.
3. Communication via Electromagnetic fields above and beyond the Light spectrum Man is able to see/hear now.

Think: Telepathy, methodes used for Remote Viewing and via Deep Meditation.

EVERYTHING that is out THERE (the Universe / Multy Dimensional etc) is also within yourself.

Namasté!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
SETI is a corporately sponsored, government run disinfo campaign to keep people assuming aliens/ufos are nothing more than science fiction material. Even hollywood does'nt pay much attention to seti with all those high tech movies in circulation.

Stargates and anti-matter warp drive craft is not something people dream up one night. Everything has its origin and science fiction movies are no exception. Its just a matter of disclosing the obvious and stopping all these silly mind game denial attempts which are getting more and more boring.

As for radio wave transmissions that technology is as old as it gets. Civilizations that have existed for millenia, if not eons, are wayyy past that stage. Seti does'nt have to send radio signals to outer space and hope for feedback. All they have to do is investigate the ufo&alien phenomena here on earth and within our solar system by examining crop circles, alleged underground bases, electro-magnetic anomalies within bermuda&devil triangle, hollow earth theory, etc....

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The Letter Code

I am willing to bet that aliens might use geospatial laser signals that travel line of site, or like a laser bar code type device. However, there are tons of possibilities to consider when it comes to long distance communications.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

I would Google "Quantum Entanglement".

I'm sure you will find more information than you need to understand it.

You could even youtube it. There are many videos.

The Gist is this. You entangle a pair of atoms. You can send the other atom all the way to the other end of the universe. Whatever you do to the first atom will happen to the other instantly. We can already do this small scale.

edit on 22-9-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by 8fl0z

I would Google "Quantum Entanglement".

I'm sure you will find more information than you need to understand it.

You could even youtube it. There are many videos.

The Gist is this. You entangle a pair of atoms. You can send the other atom all the way to the other end of the universe. Whatever you do to the first atom will happen to the other instantly. We can already do this small scale.

edit on 22-9-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

Oh! I saw that on SciFi Science with Michio Kaku on the Science Channel

I get it, it sounds like a really reliable source of communication, but how would you convert light, like on a computer screen, or sound, into an atom that can be placed anywhere within the universe?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
reply to post by 8fl0z

It's quite ridicilous to even think for 1 sec that an far more advanced Race could ever be picked up by SETI if that Race didn't want that to happen.

Beside the random "out of no where" ufo appearance seen by the naked eye, ufos have gotten picked up on radar and ir sensors as momentary glitches. I suppose they can materialise and de-materialise at will...heck even the USA government managed to cloak a destroyer during the philadelphia experiment.

Now the question becomes does a fully cloaked object leave any traceable signature behind? If no that would explain why they are flying all over our skies yet we see so little indeed. They don't want to be seen and governments barely have any explaining to do.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I suppose that it's possible that ET civilizations (assuming there are any) might be able to rapidly communicate over interstellar distances in some way that doesn't require electromagnetic waves of any kind and SETI could be barking up a completely wrong tree. But what are our options? We can only search in ways with which we are familiar. If there's some kind of FTL hyper-sub-space wave out there that is broadcasting live alien football games, how are we supposed to find them until we discover those hypothetical waves?

I suppose SETI could use OUIJA boards to try and communicate with aliens, but you know that those annoying demons make the signal to noise ratio there too high to be useful. Remote viewing is another option, but it takes way too much time and effort to learn, and even then the communication only happens within the minds of the remote viewers, which are also full of noise and prone to misinterpretation.

There's also the problem with aliens wanting to communicate with us. If they're out there, they really don't seem to be in any huge hurry to open a clear dialog. We might be incredibly close to finding the right frequency, but they have all their broadcasts disguised to appear like natural radio sources. Why? To quarantine us, or to evade other alien predators, or who knows? Guessing what goes on in the mind of an alien is a tough one. Maybe we don't exist to them any more than they exist to us.

SETI might still be able to find flickering remnants of civilizations far far away that might have at one time communicated with radio, like us, before they shut it all up in cables. No luck yet, but there's no deadline here. It doesn't really cost that much, and maybe in a couple hundred years our technology will advance enough so we can pick something up. Or not. It's like a hobby. You hope but don't necessarily expect it to pay off.

edit on 22-9-2010 by Blue Shift because: Speeeeling!!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I don't think they are necessarilyy taking the wrong path. It is possible they may find another life out there that is using radio waves to communicate, but I cant imagine any advanced societies are still using radio to communicate.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Well I guess we could try broadcasting a signal as well as listening for them similar to the information we put inside Voyage 1.

I'm not so sure on this but I would have thought that any radio signal that escape our atmosphere by accident are going to be very low powered and very hard to pick up after any kind of distance, so we could just try beaming an hugely powerful radio signal straight up and see if anyone ever sees it. Kind of like a huge cosmic beacon.

I saw a tv program recently where Stephen Hawkins discussed something like this, he was against it as he didn't believe that aliens would necessarily be friendly.

There could be a million reasons why we don't find any signals, maybe the aliens have worked out some kind of super encryption so that their broadcasts are indistinguishable from background noise unless you know what your looking for..

Who knows
Not me certainly

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
In my opinion SETI is merely a means of placating the people's desire to contact ET's when TPTB know full well the extent of ET visitation throughout time.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
SETI is definitely a joke. When it was created it was a leap just to say life outside of earth existed. It's still a leap. But seems to me its a similar leap to look for them here. So what I always wondered is why they haven't.

Radio waves? lol. No, thinking about it now, quantum entanglement is the obvious answer. Its the only answer.
Which to me means they are not just looking in the wrong places, but looking for signals we wont be using in 20 years, like another person posted about the laser communications. Radio and Microwaves are for my car and my kitchen.

Anyone ever read any of the Ender's Game books? how the people in the book communicated was through some kind of entanglement. Lots of similarities between the sci fi and what has been found and/ or speculated about recently.

Otherwise when we went to the nearest star each message would take that many years to come back, and i hear the signals actually break down in space as they expand.

Anyways op or anyone else, quantum entanglement is when two particles act like a single particle. They become 'entangled' then you can separate them by any distance and when you mess with one, instantly the other reacts as well. Instantly. Meaning faster than the speed of light.

Anyways, I don't know exactly what the deal with SETI has been, but on purpose or not they have helped a whole hell of a lot with the disinfo and discrediting of all kinds of trustworthy people.

I just don't buy it. I'm an idiot and even I know better than to think SETI is legitimate. The technology they are looking for is outdated even for us, and so their method along with it.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerForLight
SETI is definitely a joke. When it was created it was a leap just to say life outside of earth existed. It's still a leap. But seems to me its a similar leap to look for them here. So what I always wondered is why they haven't.

How would you propose they look for them here? where would they look? under the sofa?

It's like a marine biologist saying well I haven't found a new species of fish in the entirety of the worlds oceans, so I guess I'll look in my garden pond.

Postulating the existence of unknown alien life somewhere in the vast infinity of the unexplored universe is perfectly rational postulating the existence of unknown alien life thats living in your broom cupboard that you just haven't noticed isn't

Besides your wrong to say that people haven't looked for "Them" here, there are thousands of people looking for undiscovered life on this planet, there called biologists, I'm sure if they found a species with completely alien DNA they would tell us about it

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Quantum technology will probably offer us a different and speedier method of communication over large distance. I believe Chinese scientists proved that they could communicate instantly, and without possibility of interception a little while back, although the methods are somewhat complex.

I am including a link to the Asia Times report on this as a background filler.

www.atimes.com...

The experiment they did apparantly shows they achieved quantum teleportation over a distance of 16 kilometres , through what is termed as "free space" meaning that no wires or tubes, or indeed physical transmission delivery methods were used between sending and recieving . This is just a baby step. Quantum teleportation could open up staggering new paths , allowing real time comms over distance in a way we could not have truely imagined just a few years ago ! Its an exciting time to be alive isnt it?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
No expert in this field but surely it's fair to assume that some 'intelligent' life form's would have used radio waves at some point during their development?

I think the difficulty is trying to identify the artificial radio waves that may identify 'intelligent' life amidst all the other naturally occurring radio waves.

If we were to identify such radio waves then due to the relatively extreme distances involved it would be fair to assume that they were broadcast a relatively long time ago and if that civilisation had survived then they would probably have advanced and evolved a considerable amount from where they were when the radio waves were initially broadcast.

Hope that makes sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join