It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remington receives contract to upgrade M24 sniper rifles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ilion, N.Y. — Public officials have announced a multi-million dollar contract for one of the area’s largest employers.
U.S. Rep. Michael Arcuri, D-Utica, an Sen. Charles Schumer, D-NY, announced Monday the U.S. Army has awarded Remington Arms a Firm Fixed Price Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity contract to upgrade up to 3,600 M24 sniper rifles.
The contract is for a five-year period with a potential value of up to $28.2 million.

www.herkimertelegram.com...
www.remington.com...
Madison, N.C. – Remington Arms Company, Inc. announced today that it has recently been awarded a $12 million contract from the US Army-TACOM (Tank-Automotive and Armament Command), for the purchase of M24 Sniper Weapon Systems (SWS) for use by the US and multiple allies in the Global War on Terrorism. 2008 marks the 20th anniversary that the M24 SWS and its variants has been the “standard” issue sniper rifle for the US Army and US Air Force.

This is great news for our area because Remington is the biggest employer in the valley.You either have family who work there or know many people who work there or have worked there.I only have one problem with this news about the M24 rifles being made by Remington Arms and that is why does the government need that many of them now?
I am against guns being in homes only because of a persanol issue.Does anyone know why they need so many new guns made for the army,navy,marines ect ect..??
I have read many reports about this new contract and have yet to see anything as to why so many are needed.Are they expecting a new war?Anyway here is a bit of news for all to see and discuss.Please enjoy!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
o god i love fire arms!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KrillsAngelWings

I'm hoping a new R&D tech is needed also....thats not great designing...IMO

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Fascists believe that a nation is an organic community that requires strong leadership, singular collective identity, and the will and ability to commit violence and wage war in order to keep the nation strong.[15] They claim that culture is created by the collective national society and its state, that cultural ideas are what give individuals identity, and thus they reject individualism.[15] Viewing the nation as an integrated collective community, they see pluralism as a dysfunctional aspect of society, and justify a totalitarian state as a means to represent the nation in its entirety.[16][17]

Wiki: Fascism

Or maybe corporatism or corporate fascism.

But for your local community it must be great, and I do not mean to detract from that when so many are out of work.

The example that is worse is the contracts with Saudia Arabia recently.

btw I do support personal ownership... I think we have enough guns for enough militaries around the world - and I don't like to think who will be on the receiving end of the bullets that come out of the guns.

edit on 22-9-2010 by beebs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Indeed it is great for the community.The unemployment rates here are very high because its a small area mostly country.I am very worried about were these new guns are going and to whom they are going to.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

How do you upgrade such a fine weapon? Is sub-MOA not good enough?

Maybe they can make them do micro surgery at 1500 meters?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Looks like a 788 with a few add-ons. Extendable butt plate and a Harris type bi-pod. Anything special about the action on this particular weapon? Im assuming its a 308, butt probably comes in 270 as well.

"The M24 SWS is to be replaced with the M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System, a contract awarded to Knight's Armament Company. However, the Army still continued to acquire M24s from Remington until February 2010."

I guess this has changed

Glad to hear about the jobs

edit on 29-9-2010 by psyko45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Of course they are expecting new wars but the reason for so many rifles is because they must slowly phase out the old.
It is going to take five years or so the contract states to make the transition, this includes replacing the rifles in training probably with he current M24 model and students will them move up to the upgraded version upon deployment.

top topics

join