It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SuperMax.com: inmates find freedom on Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Wow. After years of languishing in the Goulburn Correctional Centre Supermax prison, the inmates finally get to communicate to the outside world through Facebook.

Although I'm not defending the inmates, I'd be elated about this if I were a Supermax inmate, because I would communicate with friends, family, fellow gang members, and even women!

Welcome to SuperMax.com. Friend a convict like serial killer Ivan Milat online!

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/supermaxcom-inmates-find-freedom-on-facebook-20100921-15ldf.html?autostart=1]www.smh.com.au[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Let me get this straight... it's not okay for the inmates to go on Facebook but it's alright for them to accept gifts from their visitors?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Im pretty sure it's a one way interaction - sounds like the inmates are smuggling info out and their mates are updating their profiles.

Not quite the scenario where inmates are sitting in front of a pc using facebook?

And if that were the case, there is every way to block it which says to me it's not the case..

We are also aware of lower-risk inmates having online profiles, including pictures, which are believed to be updated by Sydney bikies. Internet use is banned in NSW prisons and there is no suggestion inmates are updating their profiles.

A non-event really, can't stop this at all, and it's not anything like the article alludes to.

edit on 21/9/2010 by badw0lf because: adding info

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
Let me get this straight... it's not okay for the inmates to go on Facebook but it's alright for them to accept gifts from their visitors?

Well they're not going on facebook.

They have people on the outside doing it for them.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth

Well they're not going on facebook.

They have people on the outside doing it for them.

Oh... makes sense. Thanks

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
supermax.com doesn't look like an actual website.

You can bet that phony search repository is making sum bucks with people clicking on the links tho.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It's the same here in the U.S. - assuming the Supermax in the article is in AU.

Prisoners have/do put adds in the classifieds or personals in various rags & newspapers for years looking for pen-pals & such. Of course they didn't do it themselves they have representatives that do it for them and relay the information through snail mail & phone calls. Nothing new here as the internet (facebook) is just an extension or replacement of the older media.

Prison officials hated it then and the still hate it, but they can't do anything about it.

Freedom - what a bunch of BS, unless you consider writing a letter and getting some in return.

Keeping in touch with friends and family is what helps convicts get out of the system when they get released.

edit on 22-9-2010 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

top topics

join