It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: "Mexicans" Were Here "Long Before America Was Even An Idea"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Is Obama trying to justify amnesty by saying things like this?

BTW, what he said is factually incorrect. What is now called Mexico was called New Spain before the Mexicans gained independence almost 50 years after the U.S. did.

source

Obama said:

"Long before America was even an idea, this land of plenty was home to many peoples. The British and French, the Dutch and Spanish, to Mexicans, to countless Indian tribes. We all shared the same land," President Obama told the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

Mexico declared its independence on September 16, 1810. It was recognized on September 27, 1821.

The United States of America declared its independence in 1776.

Of course, obama also thinks there are 57 states in the U.S.

edit on 9/21/2010 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

+53 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

and the native americans were here long before all of us but i dont hear him saying jacks squat about them.

i guess its the simple fact the hispanic vote is the largest minority in the country right now.

and thats clearly what hes going after.

statements like this lead me to believe that maybe obama is a racists the only voters that dont matter to him are the white, republican or teaparty votes.

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
No big deal. It's all semantics. If you want to get technical, then the declaration of independence was written by the British. And I imagine that the founding fathers (even generations before them) thought of themselves as uniquely American before we declared our independence and became the United States.

edit on 21-9-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

and the native americans were here long before all of us but i dont hear him saying jacks squat about them.

Did you read the OP source quote? It clearly says indian tribes.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Exactly...

"Long before America was even an idea, this land of plenty was home to many peoples. The British and French, the Dutch and Spanish, to Mexicans, to countless Indian tribes. We all shared the same land."

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

meh nit picker

edit on 21-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+33 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
No big deal. It's all semantics. If you want to get technical, then the declaration of independence was written by the British. And I imagine that the founding fathers (even generations before them) thought of themselves as uniquely American before we declared our independence and became the United States.

edit on 21-9-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

Sorry, the left (including you?) crucified Bush any time he slipped up, so obama gets no pass for "semantics", or any other mistake.

This "mistake" has pandering for hispanic votes written all over it.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Sorry, the left (including you?) crucified Bush any time he slipped up, so obama gets no pass for "semantics", or any other mistake.

This "mistake" has pandering for hispanic votes written all over it.

Fine by me....crucify Obama then, it's never stopped you before. I'm merely pointing out that the Mexican people thought of themselves as uniquely Mexican before they became an official nation, just as Americans did.

Also, do you REALLY believe that Obama thinks there are 57 states? Or are you just trying to bait? Seriously, as a seantor, I doubt Obama ever had the floor and then said "I will yield the remainder of my time to the distinguished gentleman from Imaginationland"....but, hey, it's funny and it baits, so let's keep saying until we believe it to be true

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

meh nit picker

edit on 21-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Hilarious.
You get called out at not reading the article then just say nit picker.
Please, take off your bash obama glasses and realize that not everything he says is evil.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

" BTW, what he said is factually incorrect. What is now called Mexico was called New Spain before the Mexicans gained independence almost 50 years after the U.S. did. "

And before that , it was called Mother Earth by the Native Americans that lived there . So , i guess Mr. Obama was NOT A History Major in College i take it ? .....Hmm....

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

He was not Constitutional scholar either.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Hey Cent, Yea I read this earlier Is Obama part stupid? Mexicans are whats left of the Mayan empire and Spanish folks... This guy is clueless.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

BTW, what he said is factually incorrect. What is now called Mexico was called New Spain before the Mexicans gained independence almost 50 years after the U.S. did.

source

Obama said:

"Long before America was even an idea, this land of plenty was home to many peoples. The British and French, the Dutch and Spanish, to Mexicans, to countless Indian tribes. We all shared the same land," President Obama told the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

Mexico declared its independence on September 16, 1810. It was recognized on September 27, 1821.

The United States of America declared its independence in 1776.

Of course, obama also thinks there are 57 states in the U.S.

That is the most idiotic nit-picking in the world.

Are you taking issue with his use of the word Mexicans? Should we not refer to indigenous people of the Untied States pre-columbus as "Native Americans"...or would it be innacurate to call them that because the new world wasn't called "America" before Columbus?

Actually you are just confusing....WTF are you nit-picking about in his statement?

edit on 21-9-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, Mexicans technically are Native Americans by blood... but that doesn't mean they can come to the U.S. to flee from their corrupt government. We already have our hands full with ours.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Those cultures are all newbies on the block, Australian Aboriginals have occupied Australia for a reputed 50 000 years unbroken. Now granted there isn't a lot of History backing up these claim's except the odd hand painting on a wall here and there but for a people to remain in existence pretty much unchanged for even 100 years is extraordinary let alone 50 000.

Might have something to do with the fact they didn't have a "Wheel" and never bothered to complicate their religions with too many "Do's and Don't" that ultimately lead them to survive for so long successfully.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Does it really matter? The Mexicans aren't destroying this country, if you ask me. I'm a patriot, born in TX, raised in NY, and I'm proud of how far this country has come. But this whole political madness: the ignorance, the hate, the apathy; at this point it really makes me ashamed of my own country, and a lot of the other "patriots" (a self-description which is quite laughable) are just really getting on my nerves. Don't fool yourselves, exclusion isn't what America is about, it never has been. Half of the population thinks they are the cool kids at the cool table eating lunch, and nobody else is allowed. Grow the hell up. Quite honestly, if I were the President, I'd say screw the Constitution and evict all the idiots from this land and replace them with Mexicans. At least they don't know enough English to let off at the tongue at every opportunity.

Don't get it twisted. This debate isn't about illegal immigrants. Most of the people who rally against illegal immigrants would have no problem spitting on US citizens of Mexican-descent. Pathetic. If you have hate in your heart, let it out, but don't hide it behind a politcal curtain.

edit on 21-9-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Your guy gets caught either pandering for hispanic votes by spouting inaccurate information and/or he's showing his ignorance and it's "nit-picking".

Here's a similar recent thread showing obama (the constitutional scholar) also screwing up on the Declaration of Independence in a recent speech.

thread

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I think he is. And politically this could put Obama in a very precarious position. The country will not tolerate amnesty at this time but when the businesses that profit from cheap labor start to feel the pinch from a lack of cheap labor and start to lobby Washington; there will be some sort of labor reform that will look very much like amnesty but be called something else.

And just so you know, all this raggin on Obama is just ****in in the wind because he ain't gonna run in 2012.

edit on 21-9-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by maybereal11

Your guy gets caught either pandering for hispanic votes by spouting inaccurate information and/or he's showing his ignorance and it's "nit-picking".

Here's a similar recent thread showing obama (the constitutional scholar) also screwing up on the Declaration of Independence in a recent speech.

thread

I have to take back the "screwing up" charge.

It appears Obama deliberately leaves out the reference in the Declaration of Independence to the creator with a scowl on his face. Was he pandering to muslims and/or the agnostics of the far left by doing that?

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

and the illegals still thinks themselves uniquely mexican now that they are living here in america never bothering to follow its laws its rule or its customs or culture or language

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join