It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Bank 'investigated over money-laundering'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Vatican Bank 'investigated over money-laundering'

www.bbc.co.uk

The head of the Vatican Bank has been put under investigation as part of a money-laundering inquiry, police sources in Rome say.

Ettore Gotti Tedeschi and another senior official were put under investigation after two suspicious transactions were reported to police.

Some 23m euros ($30m; £19m) was also seized from the bank's accounts with another institution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-9-2010 by kiwifoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hopefully this could be the event that brings the whole house of cards down!!

I'm going to do a little more digging to see if I can find more information on this.

Those are some pretty big amounts though.

Although the article says the Vatican was involved in a scandal in1982 involving BILLIONS!!

Banco Ambrosiano

Banco Ambrosiano was an Italian bank which collapsed in 1982. At the centre of the bank's failure was its chairman, Roberto Calvi and his membership in the illegal masonic lodge Propaganda Due. Vatican Bank was Banco Ambrosiano's main shareholder, and the death of Pope John Paul I in 1978 is rumored to be linked to the Ambrosiano scandal, giving one of the subplots of The Godfather Part III. Vatican Bank was also accused of funneling covert United States funds to Solidarity and the Contras through Banco Ambrosiano.

So this isn't really that shocking I suppose. But any story that highlights the Vatican for what it really is is worth posting!!

If you're in any doubt, or have just joined ATS, check out All Roads Lead to Rome by my good mate ProtoplasmicTraveler.

edit on 21-9-2010 by kiwifoot because: Title bug

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
in a piece of art imitating life;

In the godfather part 3, the Vatican Banker is embezzling funds and is caught.

In real life a Vatican Banker was hung off a bridge, his mouth stuffed with Money.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
End The Vatican!!!!!

Do you realize that it's 2010 and after all the corruption uncovered the pope still manages to gather up hundreds of thousands of people living in a first world country as an audience?

END The Vatican!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I saw another bust of a mafia kingpin the other day. Busted on racketeering and money laundering all throughout the land. This might be part of that sting!

Seize the Vatican and allow the people to finally see the rest of the "horded" dead sea scrolls.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

The Vatican is a political entity, not a religious one, when was the last time you heard of a religious entity owning a damn F'en bank..

damn pedophiles, go to hell.. and burn for eternity, and yet you expect gays to burn, you burn..

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well now, THATS news!
I wonder whos money is apparantly being laundered here? I mean if you take the name of the activity literaly , it means that you put money which has been aquired in illegal means, or is the gain from an illegal enterprise, and attempt to legitimise it, or "clean" it by putting it through the books of a legitimate concern, that way it can enter the financial system without any negative attention being paid to it... or thats the idea anyway...
Of course being as close as the Vatican is to various nefarious groups of scum, one has to wonder if this is mafia money? I only say this because of the geographical proximity of the Vatican to some of the worlds most powerful mobsters.
But all this is speculation. For all I know it could have been money from any one of the main criminal players.

Some might think it a little crass to assume that the people on whose behalf the money is being laundered are organised criminals. However if you look into it, its very unlikely for anyone NOT involved in organised crime, to have the sums of money being dealt with to hand at any one time. Besides, its really only professional criminals who would REQUIRE the services of a money laundering operation...
Unless what we are dealing with here is an emergancy situation involving the Opus Dei's more unsavoury dealings. And before you ask, no , not a fan of Dan Brown. The problem with the Prelature has been long running and has nothing to do with novelisation.
What a sticky mess... mind you its a lot better than some of the sticky messes in the vatican I guess.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hello everyone,
Seems like we have a very interesting story breaking out here. I remember seeing a few posts in the Global Meltdown forum about Reinhardt predicting some major market influencing event involving the Catholic Church, money laundering and a September 2010 market crash. Anyone else think this could be the event he was talking about?

Reinhardt-September 2010 Crash

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Oh, dear, these pesky atheists now want to look at our accounts, they even expect us to be legal and legitimate. Damn these atheists!!

edit on 21-9-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
People who don't live and/or work in the world of politics don't know HOW corrupt the whole system is. I'm not a bit surprised, since I've known for years how corrupt the Catholic Religion is. And many others are as well. Don't get me started on the Evangelists!

Here is a nice anecdote for ya. Something I have witnessed myself. In Brazil, at the city of Aparecida do Norte, you can find the world's second biggest basilic/cathedral. The only other one bigger than this one, is the one at the Vatican.
Link to the basilic of Aparecida do Norte

Anyway, I was there visiting Aparecida do Norte, on a business trip. What's my job? I sell a software to city governments that allows them to have a tighter control on tax payers.

Well, guess who is the BIGGEST tax evader in Aparecida do Norte?

If you answered the Basilic of Aparecida do Norte, you won a cookie! They get DOZENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS every year to continuously expand. They are always building something in there. The area is huuuuge. Coincidently, one of our lawyers knew the bishop responsible for the basilic and talked to him. The bishop said he was willing to negotiate, but that he wouldn't pay for any tax they had evaded in the past. He would only agree on paying MORE tax from now on.

The mayor of the city doesn't want to fight the bishop either, because Aparecida do Norte is a small town with the second biggest church in the world. That means the bishop is A LOT MORE POWERFUL than the mayor. If he wants, the bishop can turn everyone against the mayor in a snap of finger.

So, year, the catholic church IS corrupt. Their crimes are not limited to their priests molesting children. And the catholic church is not the only one, like I said.

So, if you think, by this news, that this is an isolated case, that this is just ONE man doing wrong, then I am sorry, but you are naive and haven't seen how rotten the powerful institutions of this world really are.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is unfortunately not the first time the Vatican Bank has been involved in a scandal of this nature.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. 30 Mil is but a drop in the bucket of what these parasites have sucked off the God fearing ( mostly church inspired) public. Oh, it tickles me pink. I hope this leads to massive arrests and more investigations.
Yes, one can dream, but dream big I will.
S&F

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherryontop
I hope this leads to massive arrests and more investigations.
Yes, one can dream, but dream big I will.
S&F

I fear this will blow over like the '82 collapse and murders. TPTB rarely get caught with their pants down, but when they do, they control the media, however this time we have the internet on our side. So there is a fighting chance that this has an impact!

All the best, kiwi

new topics

top topics

join