It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ozone layer 'is no longer disappearing and will return to full strength by 2048', says UN report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Ozone layer

www.dailymail.co.uk

The ozone layer is no longer disappearing and could be back to full strength by the middle of this century, UN scientists have confirmed.

The phasing out of nearly 100 substances once used in products like refrigerators and aerosols has stopped the ozone layer being depleted further, although it is not yet increasing, according to a new United Nations report released last week.

And it claimed that international efforts to protect the ozone layer has averted millions of cases of skin cancer worldwide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 20-9-2010 by KilrathiLG because: it edited my title and it wasent what i orginaly posted

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
im gonna take this one with a grain of salt but if its TRUE i gues its cause of celebration and goodness and whatnot but i just figured either way id share it be it disino or real so lets see what ats thinks of this and what conspiracys will spawn from this little tidbit ok it says i have to post more but i dont realy have more to say on the subject its possibly true possily propaganda so is this enouh to get this posted or do i have to add lots more words that dont matter?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ozone is Oxygen...

Ozone is a natural cycle on Earth...

Hole over poles is natural due to indirect sunlight... it shrinks and expands depending on solar UV radiation

Ozone Cycle

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fde832579e07.jpg[/atsimg]

The Ozone layer, like Global Warming scares was a money making scam for researchers to make millions on research grants

IMO

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes... and CFCs also react with the sun to form Cl- free radicals, which interrupt the whole cycle to form ClO, and in turn oxygen, O2, rather than O3, thus depleting the ozone (O3). The compound is stable and doesn't leave the system for a while (aka 2048).

Wait! Its just a conspiracy to take our oxygen away

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

thank you that actualy helped me understand the situation more im not too veresed in science and btw if i rember correctly some one was looking for you zargon in a military aricraft idetification thread so lo you have been summoned by some one somehere some place

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I can't believe you're getting stars for that ignorant post !!

What does the natural ozone cycle have to do with the artificial compounds we were dumping into the atmosphere

Do you not remember when the ozone layer was being depleted by all of these cfc's, and how it's slowly been healing itself since they were banned

Come on, ATS !!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wether Humans are responsible for the depletion of the Ozone layer or not does not mean that what Humans do on the Earth does not affect it.
I believe that the Ozone Layer issue was a ploy to introduce a multiverse of so called Green Taxes. However wether I am correct in this or not is unimportant.
My point is that what Humans do does affect the Earth im ways not understood. We dig into the bowels of the Earth and take what we want (not need) in order to satisfy our greed without once stopping and thinking what the true purpose of Oils coal and Gas is.
The Earth is a living thing and like us has a purpose beyond our narrow understanding of its nature and relationship to the greater nature of The solar system.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
What does the natural ozone cycle have to do with the artificial compounds we were dumping into the atmosphere

Absolutely nothing... that is the point. I am against any form of pollution, but misinformation is just as bad

Point is ozone O₃ does not 'deplete' it merely drops back to oxygen O₂... That is what it does removes polutants from the air Oxygen is poisonous to us in the single molecule O We breath O₂ Oxone is O₃

Do you not remember when the ozone layer was being depleted by all of these cfc's, and how it's slowly been healing itself since they were banned

What I remember is scientists CLAIMING it was being depleted... then I remember some scientists saying hold on a minute, that hole has always been there... then it quietly disappeared off main stream news.

Ozone is constantly being created when UV light hits Oxygen.. if it was depleted we would all be toast.

Its only certain people who keep the myth going

But hey... if the ozone scare makes people stop polluting all is good.

OH and about that global warming... I recommend stocking up on parkas, blankets and firewood... your gonna need it

edit on 21-9-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cg9113
Wait! Its just a conspiracy to take our oxygen away

Plant a tree

Yes... and CFCs also react with the sun to form Cl- free radicals, which interrupt the whole cycle to form ClO

Prove it... Show me documentation...

edit on 21-9-2010 by zorgon because: because Phage told me too

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Ive noticed a popular body spray, AXE, the 4 oz aerosol can, the lat ingredient on it, is hydroflurocarbon* istn that also an ozone killer, like chloroflurocarbons>? i mean if it is! its sold and used daily and all over the place!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I believe global warming is directly affected by the depletion of the ozone layer.

But the global warmers don't want you to know about that because the chemicals that caused the problem are already under control.
The depletion of the ozone layer causes higher UV levels to reach the earth, this caused the surface to heat more.
and that to the lack of major volcanic eruptions in the last 100 years and the lack of major dust clouds at high altitudes and you have global warming.
The problem is they can not control them or tax them because they are ether banned(CLFs) already or natural phenomenon(volcanic)
So they turned around and claimed CO2 was the cause.

Ozone depleting chemicals are also greenhouse gases. The increases in concentrations of these chemicals have produced 0.34 ± 0.03 W/m² of radiative forcing, corresponding to about 14% of the total radiative forcing from increases in the concentrations of well-mixed greenhouse gases.

en.wikipedia.org...
climate.envsci.rutgers.edu...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The U.N. thinks we are going to make it to 2048 ??

Where are they getting their information from and who are they listening to?

this planet has issues,
et

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Ozone depleting chemicals are also greenhouse gases. The increases in concentrations of these chemicals have produced 0.34 ± 0.03 W/m² of radiative forcing, corresponding to about 14% of the total radiative forcing from increases in the concentrations of well-mixed greenhouse gases.

Can you translate that please?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

It is great to have a positive thread, thank you.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
When are we gonna hear,

"Global temperatures no longer rising, and will return to 1900 levels by 2068"?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
My God....

What has ATS come to?

Zorgon...... dude...... before you comment you should really get a clue what you're talking about.

O3 bonds are broken multiple times by industrial pollutants (nitrous oxides, CFCs, etc), which would normally act to shield the Earth from UV radiation.

Banning these substances is what is leading to changes. Not because it is a hoax.

Ozone is formed naturally when O2 bonds are broken by UV radiation, and free O joins with an O2 molecule.

I really can't believe I'm reading some of the replies in this post... Just because you don't understand something or have a burning desire to label everything you 'think' is wrong with conspiracy, doesn't make it so.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
@ 19872010

We aren't.

The ozone layer was always going to get better.

We heavily cut back on CFC usage since the 80s. It was just a matter of how long it was going to take for the pollutants to break down and stop interrupting O3 formation.

edit on 21-9-2010 by seenitall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
You do realise of course that the only reason they are saying this now, is because they want people to be slightly less bothered about how much fossil fuel they are using?
Funny how the oil folks dont talk about all the non fossil methods they have for energy production, that they just dont even use.... anyone remember that fellow who built a car which could run on any kind of water? No ? Thats because they buried the project, (after he died of course....yeah...) .
You know why that technology isnt available ? Its because it cannot be taxed, you cannot be charged for it, its because no one benifits but the user and the planet, and because oil owning companies and individuals have a monopoly on power production. Thats the bottom line.
This latest news, is likely as not sponsored in part by some already embarrasingly rich people, whos only interest is that people keep buying thier product, and keep ignoring better new alternatives .

Good luck Earth.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Its basic chemistry! And even if I did show you documentation, which I could very easily do by just typing "ozone depletion" into google scholar, you would still say its a conspiracy so whats the point? And by the way Molina, who predicted ozone depletion, won a nobel prize. Find his documentation yourself.

Oh wait, that probably makes it a real conspiracy then. I feel a comment about Obama's nobel prize coming on.

And as far as your 'global cooling' comment goes, yes we are supposed to be in a natural stage of 'cooling' right now. But we are NOT cooling, which just makes the rise in temperature even worse, considering we should be cooler than normal temperatures.

edit on 21-9-2010 by cg9113 because: added the nobel prize comment

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Ive noticed a popular body spray, AXE, the 4 oz aerosol can, the lat ingredient on it, is hydroflurocarbon* istn that also an ozone killer, like chloroflurocarbons>? i mean if it is! its sold and used daily and all over the place!

no. the chlorine is what attaches to ozone thereby removing an oxygen molecule.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join