It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Lakes Nuke Shipment Plan Stirs Accident Fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I live pretty close to the eastern Great Lakes and rely on them for my water needs.
Even though Michigan's economy is pretty much tanked, the Lakes are still recreational destinations for many folks. There a multitude of wildlife that populate this region.
Toronto is already polluting Michigan with it's garbage.

The last thing we need is the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission sending its nuclear junk to Sweden via the Great Lakes.

Bruce Power, whose 4,700-megawatt power plant 155 miles northwest of Toronto is the largest in North America, says the generators have been welded shut to prevent radioactive leaks. Each is the size of a school bus and weighs about 100 tons. They would be ferried aboard a 387-foot ship.

"We have as much of a stake as anybody to make sure this is done safely," spokesman John Peevers said. "It would not be good business for us to do this if we thought it was risky."

Opponents include environmental groups, an organization representing Great Lakes cities, and American Indian tribes. They say even the remote possibility of an accident that would release radiation is too big a gamble for the lakes, which provide drinking water to some 40 million people.

www.clickondetroit.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I got a bad feeling about this.

im not the only one not convinced about the several oil wells being destroyed "accidently"

I dunno, maybe im being a bit paranoid, but i dont think it would be a coincidence if this water was also contaminated.

edit on 20-9-2010 by MR BOB because: stupid small keyboard making me typo .

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
yeah we cant have the lakes getting contaminated let alone why would we advertise that were sending what ammounts to a Used nuclear reactor by ship to another country i mean if i were a pirate or a shady person terrorist take your pick id want that damn ship or id want it sunk where it would be as inconvienent as possible bad idea

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I live pretty close to the eastern Great Lakes and rely on them for my water needs.
Even though Michigan's economy is pretty much tanked, the Lakes are still recreational destinations for many folks. There a multitude of wildlife that populate this region.
Toronto is already polluting Michigan with it's garbage.

I am also very concerned about our Great Lakes and the fact that other parts of our country and the world are trying to get their hands on it. Sure you are aware that garbage from Canada is being shipped into Michigan for disposal, when I read that a few years back I couldn't believe it.

Good thread, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

edit on 21-9-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join