It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Has Happened to Society...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The other day I was walking down the street and saw some kids in a nice car pull up to a homeless man who was asking for some change or what not. So i thought it was nice that the kids were going to give him some change but just as the driver reached hs hand out to hand it to him he tossed the money down a drain on the side of the road on purpose and they all just laughed and sped off... WTF is wrong with kids these days? Me i gave the man a smile made some small talk with him for a while and I gave him a bit of money but it just makes me sad to see how people treat those who are down on their luck or w/e this guy was a vietnam vet from what i learned talking to him and i imagine hes mentally unstable from the # hes seen in his life time and the unrecognized until recently PTSD. But anyways the man now has a place to stay i gave him one of my unrented houses to stay at so hes not on the street and am helping him get treatment and w/e he needs to try to help him get back on his feet if its possible if not oh well atleast he has a place to live. So lets here some views on the horrid state of our society these days.

edit on 20-9-2010 by Sumdumguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Listen you will see humans do incredibly bad stuff but you can't let it effect you, just keep doing good in the world and if enough time passes and you have influenced enough people it will slowly start to change.

You have done a good job by helping the man, keep the light inside you shining brightly.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
That I will do and yes its amazing what you see but i just want to know why...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
About two months ago I saw a hitchhiker trying to get a ride and had to take my brother somewhere first, but after that I was going to give him money on my way back. So after taking my brother to where he had to go we were on our way back and I told my brother I was going to give this guy ten bucks and my brother just looked at me disgustedly and said, "why would you do that"? After he said this I was disgusted with him because he was completely against giving somebody money who needed it even more than I do. I also wonder what the hell is going on anymore. Also its good to here what you did for that guy.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
First I would like to say thank you. Second about your brother that not all that bad while yes it isnt nice what I saw was just cruel to see the veteran scrambling on the ground trying to get a dollars worth of change out of a grate and kids just laughing at him. I am greatful that I am able to help, even if i cant help all of them it makes me feel good to know that I am helping just one person.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There has never been a shortage of jerks in the world.
But think about it, people have been worse in the past. Think slavery, war, racism, religious persecution.
These things are of course, still around, but have been greatly reduced, mostly because of legal penalties.
Don't let it get you down! There is plenty of good in the world too!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
yes and I try to contribute to that good but thnk about it if kids did this to this man think what else other people may have done. Its a scary thought...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sumdumguy
The other day I was walking down the street and saw some kids in a nice car pull up to a homeless man who was asking for some change or what not. So i thought it was nice that the kids were going to give him some change but just as the driver reached hs hand out to hand it to him he tossed the money down a drain on the side of the road on purpose and they all just laughed and sped off... WTF is wrong with kids these days?

Today? TODAY? Come on now, that's a story that could've been also from the 80's or even from the 50's or 60's, kids thinking their funny. Just watch Rebel without a Cause or even the 1950's scene from the first two Back to the Future movies.
Kids haven't changed. The only thing that have changed is time and most people look back into the "good old days" with rose-tinted glasses, thinking back then Earth was a paradise with only the nicest of nice people and Goody Two-Shoes everywhere.

I'd rather ask. WHAT THE # is wrong with people on this board and their "Life today is hell, back then everything was great but all people and especially ALL kids of today just suck"-thinking

It's not like back then was everything great. Racism was around, violence was around, people got robbed, murdered, raped....nothing has changed, nothing and nothing will ever chance

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
there is a place in las vegas, united states of america, where people live on the sidewalks in tents year round, no matter the weather, be it 120 degrees, or below freezing. there is a crematorium on one side of the street, and a barred and secured homeless shelter on the other side of the street.

i once spent over a thousand dollars for burgers, fries, and drinks from mcdonalds for them. and would occassionally bring stuff to them if i had excess. not sure how much it helped, and i didn't do it to make me feel better about myself neither. reverence for life should not be undermined by laws, in my opinion. some people feel they do not belong becasue the opportunity to be a law abiding citizen does not really exist. i would like to think i am a law abiding citizen, but i don't know how many laws there are, let alone what they are.

LO$$ VAGUE GUESS
LAS VEGAS

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sumdumguy

Have you ever heard of Bum Fights?

Or that pack of kids that used to go out and beat homeless people with bats?

Once Bum Fights came out, it became popular until a year or so back, one of the kids killed a guy.

Your example really isn't that bad, at least they gave him money.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Tent cities exist in many places, my home city had one.

Never give them actual money though, it goes straight to heroin/crack (Not a joke, I am serious.) The burgers are a good idea, because the chances they will spend on the money on food is next to none.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thibotham

They didnt give him the money though they threw it down the drainage on the side of the street. and yes the tent cities are everywhere and i dont think id give them money for the reasn that the money as stated above would most likely go to drugs etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
ye can carry on all day about how bad things are, but it's what ye are doing that makes the difference. we cannot change another, but we can certainly change ourselves.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RossCroft

We may not be able to change people but we can sure try to change them through a bandwagon/peer pressure style "everyones being nice. You should too!" deal XD but i guess thats just wishful thinking...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Media happened.

Nowadays, thanks to media, both fictional and supposedly unbiased "news" or "documentary" sources, everybody is out to get over on us.

Our neighbors are all suspect - because they're probably pedophiles, serial cheaters, con artists, druggies, or members of a terrorist sleeper cell... If none of the above, then, surely, they are up to something and shouldn't be trusted. Just watch the 11 o'clock news - they'll tell you.

Oh, and those pesky people who are down on their luck? Druggies and drunks. Sure there are a few stories about there about homeless people being wealthy people who fell apart due to tragedy... but that's all fiction. We all know what's really going on because the media assures us that anyone in America who works hard, cannot fail. So if you do fail, it's all your own damn fault.

And charity? Bah... CHARITY??? Oh no. No. No. Don't you watch Dr.Phil? What was once known as charity, and was considered a good thing is now called "enabling" and is the worst thing you can do! Hungry people don't need food... they need to get even hungrier because that'll force them to get off their butts. Oh, dear, no, we don't clothe the naked. We mock their nudity until they figure out a way to get clothed.

And just as long as we're not hungry or naked, then it's all OK with us.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
What's wrong... I would say the lack of the Family, a lack of Religion.... way to much PC garbage...
we now see the fruits of the Hippie Generation, a bunch of spoiled kids. seriously you don't know why people are rotten to the core? it is a simple.... start going to church, do things as a family, keep your kids away from dirt bags...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
wow, thats so nice of you to help the man.

mean people like that have always existed and always will, but the good thing is that there are nice people like you.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I believe the lack of family and community has helped to disintegrate society. Yes, there has always been societal ills, but there was the church and family were supposed to act as buffers. Now people move away from family or find out that the family really doesn't care in the first place, especially if it involves any inconvenience.

I myself moved from a major city back to my (terrible economy) hometown to care for my mother who was going through a divorce and had physical issues, including early onset dementia. I was told by family members and friends that living with her and caring for her was some sort of evil plan to make her sick and that my inability to move out upon a moment's notice was wrong (Meanwhile, hubby and I had paid big bucks on an expensive rented condo in that big city that we kept paying on but did not get to enjoy ...and took over bills of my mother's and all housekeeping/yardwork/household/auto repairs). When I needed support (i.e., time enough to save money to get a new place) I was told to move out or have my things put on the road and my car towed. My husband was told he was a loser for not having three jobs at McDonald's even though he used to make more money than my family ever hopes to make, but the downturn in economy has devastated his field. We are not unemployed, but underemployed.

Yep, so the message is for people down on their luck is to "let them eat work." All people really need to do is get 3 jobs at McDonald's or everyone can cut everyone else's hair (LOL) and everything will be fine.

Bottom line for me is that I had to respect myself and no longer have contact with my family. Now if something else major happens in my life (or their's) we can't rely upon each other, and that is truly sad. It's isolating in some ways, but I've also found I have friends that I can rely on and that don't treat me like crap just because I'm related to them....

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sumdumguy

This isn't a new phenomenon and anyone who thinks it is is just kidding themselves.

Human beings have behaved cruelly to each other since day one and we will continue to do so until we die out or human society decides to grow up and show some compassion (obviously the former is likely to happen before the latter).

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Compared to when?

I don't think there was ever a time when everyone lived in harmony and charity. I hope there is in the near future!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join