It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. recession ended June 2009, NBER finds

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by poet1b

I dont understand why conservatives whine about job creation from the gov. It's not the gov's responsibility to create jobs... its not even business's responsibility to create jobs.

What people need isn't JOBS.... its INCOME.... JOBS are only 1 small way of generating INCOME.

Could be the dumbest economy-related statement I've ever read here on ATS and maybe elsewhere. Please give us all your idea for making income without jobs. This we've all got to hear. If it's really good, I'll write my resignation letter today.

I agree 100% with Centurion. Are you implying all unemployed folks suddenly become entrepreneurs ? People are not buying a whole hell of a lot these days so how does that get overcome ?

brill

edit on 21-9-2010 by brill because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2010 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think it's high time we bring all our boys home and start taking care of the people in this country and put our people back to work. Reduce the military budget for offensive weapons and raise the hell on taxes for American businesses that send their manufacturing overseas and across our borders. Do away with the Federal Reserve and IRS. We should have an across the board flat income tax and focus on an energy policy that will make us self-suficient. Eliminate the (2) party system, lobbying, and create a maximum (4) year term limit (no more career politicians). Secure our borders and than erect a 300 foot large hand with a middle finger proudly extended on all our boarders. Than maybe, we can get this economy moving again!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

First of all, I am a liberal. You should have read the rest of my post.

Part of any job creation bills should be something that aims for small business start ups. I think our future lies with more and more small businesses. That is what I am working on starting.

However, like many posters have pointed out, you can't succeed with a small business when nobody has any money to spend.

The biggest problem is that far too much of our money is going to service debt. Those who aren't paying on huge mortgages are paying on huge college loans, and many are paying for both.

I think they should change the bankruptcy laws back the way the were, but much easier, and every one file bankruptcy. Then leave the fed reserve with all the debt, and start using a new government currency.

All those crooked banking billionaires can then figure out what to do with their fed res notes when nobody wants them. And China and Japan with their currency fixing systems.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I heard this on CNN yesterday. Sad to say even the news announcers did not really buy it. They started out in straight cheerleader mode but as it went on, maybe their last shred of humanity took over and they sort of questioned what it actually means.

This is pure semantics. It is akin to murder versus manslaughter to the family of the deceased. Call it whatever you want, say it's over, say it's not, nobody believes that garbage. I am tired of the charade. Like the lady who told the President she is exhausted of defending him, I am exhausted of hoping our elected officials might actually do something good for their constituents.

The robbery continues apace.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by poet1b

I dont understand why conservatives whine about job creation from the gov. It's not the gov's responsibility to create jobs... its not even business's responsibility to create jobs.

What people need isn't JOBS.... its INCOME.... JOBS are only 1 small way of generating INCOME.

Could be the dumbest economy-related statement I've ever read here on ATS and maybe elsewhere. Please give us all your idea for making income without jobs. This we've all got to hear. If it's really good, I'll write my resignation letter today.

As someone who was homeless before, and now am the owner of a business I can tell you that my prosperity has had ZERO to do with the employment rate...

I'm so sick of these people looking for jobs... go generate revenue you lazy people!

On second thought, it might be this statement ...

If you think you need a job to create income then you have obviously bought the biggest lie ever sold...

You can choose to be Labor, or you can choose to be Business. You don't have to be labor... you really don't.

edit on 21-9-2010 by HunkaHunka because: clarification

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I see more and more businesses closing. From what I see, there has been nothing done for job creation. Obama has only recently announced a job creation bill.

Only recently? Only recently?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

02/13/2008

WASHINGTON — Democrat Barack Obama said Wednesday that as president he would spend $210 billion to create jobs in construction and environmental industries, as he tried to win over economically struggling voters.
The idea, which Obama proposed last year, was dropped from a House of Representatives jobs bill. A similar measure has been proposed but not yet passed in the Senate.

articles.cnn.com...
OLITICS

11/22/2008

President-elect Barack Obama offered an outline of his economic recovery plan Saturday, and jobs were the top priority.

www.nytimes.com...

01/10/2009

WASHINGTON — One day after the nation’s unemployment rate was reported to be at a 16-year high, President-elect Barack Obama on Saturday again raised the estimate of how many jobs would result from his economic recovery plan, saying it would create or save three million to four million, nearly 90 percent of them in the private sector.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

12/09/2009

Key elements of the job creation package President Barack Obama outlined Tuesday:

www.csmonitor.com...

01/28/2010

Obama wants a jobs bill ASAP

www.time.com...

01/29/2010

But Obama is not giving up on the idea. On Friday, Jan. 29, at an event in Baltimore, he fleshed out his idea for a job-creation tax credit, saying it would induce companies to hire workers.

And for the icing on the cake...

www.usatoday.com...

09/13/2009

WASHINGTON — President Obama's economic advisers estimated Thursday that the economic stimulus package has saved or created about 1 million jobs, drawing immediate criticism from Republicans.

Regardless of what any government backed agency says and regardless of any definition of "recession" or "recovery", our country is hurting. Our people are hurting and don't see any relief, in the near future.

And poet, though you do not want to admit it, the Democrats are just as much to blame as the Republicans. No more, no less.

edit on 21-9-2010 by WTFover because: tried to repair a link that contains an emoticon

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I don't know if you really just don't get it or just trying to save face... but it's pretty clear you're being both heartless and ignorant at the same time.

Yes.. there are many ways to make money outside of a job.

No.. everyone is not the type of person that can do this.

Simple fact is some people NEED, yes, NEED, a full time 9-5 job to be able to function as a human being. Be it for the security or the routine..

Also if everyone was doing the same schemes.. they wouldn't be making much money in a saturated market.

According to GDP we are out of a recession. GDP has been falsified, one major way as I pointed out just by the Mark to Market rule. Everything else screams "Depression!"

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

hey come clean, nice and interesting passage you put. first i hope you know the fed owns the schools- colleges- road ways- water rites- etc-etc. so if your bumping a dem or a rep in office of governor you are #ting yourself. the fed gives funds out exactly how they want, then they dispurse funds depending on how they want them to. be, so a democrat being a gov will not be any better than a republican. christ havent you figured this out yet?
I am not exactly sure what your needed response should be, but i would say too you that you best get a grip as there is no differnce on the rep party and the democratic

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree with you. I have this gut feeling that the GDP is being falsified. They have been in the past falsifing data just not to 'worry' people.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Unemployment is up in my area, so are the foreclosures, the only new business that has started up in the last year and a half is a Steak and Shake, more plants have closed down, I don't see any businesses starting up, or new ideas at all. No, it feels like it is getting worse.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thanks for everybody's reply.
So the consensus seems that although the recovery is here on paper we have yet to see real job growth.

edit on 24-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Thanks for everybody's reply.
So the consensus seems that although the recovery is here on paper we have yet to see real job growth.

edit on 24-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

I cant beileve your buying into the recovery mode

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Take a look at this thread I did just a few months after this recovery was supposed to have happened from LAST YEAR.

US - Economy in Recovery or just smoke and mirrors?
posted on 23-10-2009 @ 11:39 AM

edit on 25-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Take a look at this thread I did just a few months after this recovery was supposed to have happened from LAST YEAR.

US - Economy in Recovery or just smoke and mirrors?
posted on 23-10-2009 @ 11:39 AM

edit on 25-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

www.zerohedge.com...
www.theglobeandmail.com...

I am not sure why you are believing that the recession is over, but read the two articles there, it seems someone or some group have been buying or selling of stocks, just so the markets can stay up higher.

edit on 25-9-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Did you bother to read the thread or just posted your own link?

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

No worries, i will take a look.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

keep in mind those references are from my own evaluations not some report.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I still haven't seen your response.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join