It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. recession ended June 2009, NBER finds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I posted this in the other thread and want to add it here.

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
WEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! This is cool I am glad the employment numbers show the same lets take a look..

Unemplyment Statistics..

Prior to 2000 Dec 1999 we had a 3.8 unemployment rate. Today we have a 9.6 unemployment rate..

Yep Definitely out of the recession.. So me the Jobs....

If the recession is good then we should have lower numbers on unemployment but it is not the case..

I wonder what world these people are looking at.. cause its not the same one i see.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I think they use the phrase...

Jobless recovery. That means to me that corporations and the banks are growing but no jobs for the masses who lost their jobs.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...

CNN cliams here to

Its no surprise facebook people believe this crap.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Recession means that everyone is in the dumps.. Recovery means we all are supposedly recovering.. meaning there should be more jobs than what they say..

I dont know but whatever tf they are peddling seems to be an oxymoron if you ask me...

Oh well Screw the drones that helped build the corporations.. I guess we reap what we sew.

edit on 9/20/2010 by ThichHeaded because: mispelled a word

::EDIT::

reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

You do know its easy to make an idiot believe anything.. You ever see Fox Attacks Iran?

The statistics in this is crazy.. It also shows how easily someone can be so gullible.

edit on 9/20/2010 by ThichHeaded because: Added a point from Agent..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I don't know about everywhere else, but here in LasVegas, it's tough. I work at Target right now looking for something better and I can't get any chomps at the bit ( and I have skills) and it's not my first job either. As soon as I get enough money together I'm scrappin this situation over here. Basically Imma have no choice since my roommates are asking me to leave by Novemeber 1st but become a vagrant, traveling from place to place, because it's cheaper then trying to live here in a house and stuff. It's not just me either as far as everyone I know is either unemployed or having a super rough time. I'm worried what it's going to be like in 4-5 years...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Slayer beat me to it. Its a "Jobless Recovery". so its all good Amerika just go back to sleep.

That is one of the best oxymoron that Iv ever herd.

Jobless
Unemployment occurs when a person is able and willing to work but currently is without work.
en.wikipedia.org...

Recovery
* Repossession, recovering ownership of property.
oops I ment
* Healing, or Cure, the process of recovering from an injury or illness

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Hey Slayer, No I live in Ohio, Cincinnati to be exact, And let me say that it is still rough here. Near I-75 a homeless city has popped up, many of the younger folks in my family are unemployed, some have given up. At the VA hospital its crowded with folks trying to look for employment, the Hamilton County Sheriff’s office laid off a few patrolmen, and there is rumors that the City of Cincinnati is going to do the same thing. Jobs and Family Services is packed everyday with people looking for help, a couple of weeks ago a man robbed a store for food, no money was taken just food. Many Department stores (malls) have no tenants and there are building constructions that have just stopped. So I'd Say no, it’s not getting any better.

Let me just add a few of my threads with some of my experiences for your readers to take a look at. ..

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

How you put it makes me bang my head against the wall because I cant not seem to make them 2 words fit together.. How are people so blindly stupid to believe this crap..

All you have to do is ask anyone who is looking for work how easy it is to show How our jobless rate is supposedly recovering.. Sad thing is it isnt..

Meh.. whatever.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this slayer, I heard this this morning on my way to a meeting and I thought "You have to be kidding me, oh well sweet, some talking heads in Washington said the Recession has been over for over a year, well what the hell is everyone so down for, all these people without jobs MUST be an illusion..."

I love how people in Washington operate, just repeat something enough until it becomes fact....'

Its like my arm getting cut off and someone saying "Actually you never had an arm to begin with, and thats just kool aid"

The issue is, people in Washington REALLY DO think we are THAT stupid, which is why there needs to be some serious changes in the power structure, people in Washington need to start losing THEIR jobs, then we can tell them that truly, the recession is over, and so is their lust for power......

I love the facts and figures tho, especially if you are looking at just what they consider job creation, market stability and success........all of which are heavily inflated by fake or temporary job creation, and the fed pumping money into the market to give the illusion that everything is ok, and to keep foreign countries buying up our stocks.........

Im so fed up with the magic show, that If i never saw a shell game again, it would be too soon........

edit on 20-9-2010 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2010 by ManBehindTheMask because: Ape cant spell

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Even a lot that are working are working cheep, no extra funds to spend anyway. Competition is up so profits are down. Credit is tight but it might as well be, now not being a good time for most to borrow money even it they could. The rare guy thats got his bills paid, captial savings, no debt, is really the one getting the best out of this.

Remember....when times are good save and dont go into debt, repair, dont buy new (in most cases).

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Well of course the recession has ended.

That's because we're in a depression.

Had to star this one as well.

Here in Nevada, unemployment sets a new record every month. The state is forecasting a 50% revenue shortfall for next year - half the money needed to run the state will not be there! I take a daily walk around my (relatively new) housing development and see plenty of abandoned houses with fences down and overgrown yards. And sadly, many with people still in them look terrible because the owners can no longer afford the water to keep up their yards.

I'm calling BS on the recession being over in 2009 - or even now ...

Worse, I think this is nothing more than a pitiful attempt to gain votes for the dems in the November elections.

edit on 9/20/2010 by centurion1211 because: added text

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
I'm calling BS on the recession being over in 2009 - or even now ...

Worse, I think this is nothing more than a pitiful attempt to gain votes for the dems in the November elections.

Oh I'll bet there is more to be released.
Stay tuned as it draws closer.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
We are lucky to have a job currently. Bonus, raises and 401K match disappeared two years ago...
We stopped spending, needing to keep credit cards paid off, and have reserve in case job loss occurs for payments. Last summer was the worst, no pool time membership, no camps, we saw only one movie. I actually bred the dog for money which turned out to be a ten dollar profit and 1 free puppy. That is the worst way to make money, no return for the many hours put in. It is harder to sell pure bred puppies than to sell an old junk car that the motor stopped working in. It only took a week to sell that car. Pure bred dogs the prices have dropped tremendously from five years ago. It was a good lesson for the kids this summer, they are becoming very careful in how they spend their money.
I don't know if people have noticed food prices went up, and the companies shrank the amount in the packages. Heart worm pills for dogs went from 12 month pk. to 6 month pk. The price is still $25.00. I've got teenager boys and their friends to feed ( 2 teenage boys will eat what 5 teenage gils will eat). We tried to tell the kids we don't want to feed the friends but that's futile. I've got friends who have three kids and they seeem to always want to send them over to our house at meal times.
The stock market has become very hard to predict. Last January, I thought about buying Netflix stock. I hestitated and lost out big time. Christmas this year I am cleaning out my drawers and closets, anything new we don't or never used gets regifted. The relatives never write, call, or visit anyways so what does it matter? We did not drive 1000 miles roundtrip this summer to visit the relatives, I figured we had spent $18,000 dollar visiting them twice annually for 18 years, that is comming to a stop. It seems to be every family for themselves. I have braces payments to keep up with on my kids. This Christmas our immediate family will do 1 meaningful gift person, and it will probably be clothing. We garden and watch netflix for weekend entertainment. I started cooking the meals out of Marths Stewart's Food Inc. magazine that comes monthly, they really are good easy recipies. Everyone reads more. Enjoy the simple things, this situation will pass eventually.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Real unemployment is probably over 20%, and the businesses still in operation are hanging on by a thread.

Nothing new is coming down the pipe, and I think the only thing that keeps businesses going is phony paper money.

I think things are worse now then they were during the great depression, and no one is doing anything about it.

It will most likely take a WW II effort to turn things around.

I see more and more businesses struggling, and those who have jobs are having to do more and more to keep those jobs.

GW and Cheney ran this country into the ground. Eight years of pure theft.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I forgot to announce the worst, they kept this major scandal out of our SOUTH CAROLINA newspapers.
They LOST 16 MILLION DOLLARS from our state funding! My son's school was acually closed down. They shuffled the kids around to the middle school and the elementary schools. The schools are now so overloaded, the kids are 35 persons to a teacher, and they have pod classrooms (trailers). They talked about quitting the foreign languages for the younger elementary kids. The band, orchestra, choir, and althletics were talked about being eliminated.

The SOUTH CAROLINA lottery money for the state goes to the state colleges. Well how are the elementary kids going to get there in overcrowded poor educational programs? With the teachers laid off?

Our state SC was already struggling to keep pace with the rest of the United States before the recession.
Obama came down here while campaigning and said the middle of the state SC was an educational tradegy, and it had to get fixed. After being elected, he seemed to forget his campaign promise. He got the black vote, and then left them behind.... This was supposed to be a democratic Presidency. Kentucky works harder to keep their schools going! With the 7 months of 90 to100 degrees F in SC, and the bad schools here, I am wanting to go back to Virginia or Ohio. How are the kids here going to compete for national colleges and jobs with our state
not investing in its youth!

The President needs to spend money building roads, bridges and schools to rebound this economy. Spend the money on our people creating jobs and a future! God Bless Everyone!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Obama will be coming around for reelection soon enough. Ronald Reagan won reelection when he asked a simple question. Are you better off now than you were four years ago? I'll ask a mid term question are you so far better off than you were when he took office?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh yeah, sure it did. That's why people are still losing jobs, unable to find new jobs, businesses are still closing left and right, and people are still losing their homes. It makes perfect sense to me now.

I don't suppose they have any bridges for sale too, do they?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
See here for the report referenced.

A recession is a "downward wave" of sorts. The end of a recession is technically the very bottom of that wave.

We are still at the bottom, but not sinking lower...

It is common to think that the recession is not over until we "recover", but that is not how economists and finance folks look at it. Recession = the downward trip...the upward trip is termed recovery. We haven't seen much recovery, but there have consistant drips of goods news...and we haven't worsened since June 09.

Example: June 08 Unemplyent was at 5% or something, by June of 09 it was 9.7% (almost double)...June 2010? 9.6...we are at the bottom, no more sinking (Recession)...doesn't mean we have recovered.

See here for the report that spurred this OP..

www.nber.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
here is a group that hasn't made it into the statistics as of yet. The small business owner who hasn't closed up shop just yet. I know of these elusive beasts as I happen to be one. My income is less than half of what is was when things were decent. My bills didn't change just because my income went down. I wonder how many more are like me and haven't even been considered into the unemployment figures. The recession is over when small businesses start to build new locations. Until then, it's all just smoke and mirrors. Oh, and a lot of Bullshot.

I do upper management and sales in a somewhat small business (60 employees). I can say that there are a LOT of businesses out there that are very close to closing shop. I run into a lot of them when I do sales work.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
- 1 in 7 americans lives in poverty
- the 9.6% vs 9.7% unemployment rate is a sham at best, we all know its considerably worse as reported by even a few ATS members who feel the pulse of their cities/towns better than government lies
- housing market declines, increased strategic defaults and increases in foreclosures
- bank closures on the cusp of exceeding 2009 numbers

Based on the 2010 U.S. budget, total national debt will grow to nearly 100% of GDP, versus a level of approximately 80% in early 2009.The White House estimates that the government’s tab for servicing the debt will exceed $700 billion a year in 2019, up from $202 billion in 2009.

So in short it would seem a stimulus package will be required annually just to service the debt in just 8 short years. Think about that.

src

They can place a positive spin on this mess all they want, but the bottom line is that you can't polish a turd.

brill

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join