It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the crazy one or is it the rest of the world? - Complacent society.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I rarely have time to post on ATS anymore. Why? Because I have stepped out from under the wagon of unemployment and was "blessed", as some would call it, with a job in this jobless society. It wasn't a job I liked, but nonetheless, it pays bills.

I have been working at this job now for about a month. It makes me miserable. Prior to this I was on unemployment for over a year. I found a new love for the simple things in live, disowned my material possessions, and at least found a mild happiness in earning my keep as my own boss in my fledgling small business. Now I make plenty of cash but don't feel like spending it, and my once promising business has taken the back burner to a measly 15 hours a week.

And so I stepped forward. I am a prominent speaker to my Facebook audience, using the the fanatical social networking site to spread news and my views on society and the world. I spoke about how the world is enamored by money and how once all my bills were paid up, I would quit this job I was "blessed" with and never enter the workforce under a baseless need again. I would not work at a job that wasn't benefiting anyone any longer, and I would not work at a job that made me unhappy to be alive.

As I expected I was bashed and battered, claiming that I was lazy, people doubting my work ethic, and others causing me crazy for living in a pipe dream. I'm not AFRAID or UNWILLING to work, I just do not want to support the corporate workhorse that rules the land. Because of the fact that I believe in a system different than we have today, because I believe that people shouldn't have to work 40-80 hours a week just to put food on the table, and because I believe society has become addicted and obsessed with material possessions to grant them happiness, I am the crazy one.

I spoke with one of my best friends the other night about the situation. He recently became unemployed himself and was complaining about not having any money to "do anything" and just sleeping his days away doing nothing. I tried to explain to him that he should cherish the time he has, find something he can do without money, and just try to realize just how good the situation is. Eventually it all erupted into argument and once again, I was the crazy one.

A family member told me they absolutely hate the system we live in, and they are miserable with their job a lot of the time, "but is it ever going to change? No." That is the comment I received. Is the system ever going to change?

No.

Why not?

Because no one ever wants to do anything to change the system. I'm the lazy one. I'm the crazy one. Yet everyone else is 100% sane for living lives that they regret and feel miserable with the majority of the time. They buy into the system day after day, doing as is socially acceptable because it is "the way things are" and "the way things are done."

People have become complacent. Society has become complacent. Even people on ATS; everyone wants to see change but most of them will never do anything about it. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of living in this hypocritical, naive, and overly complacent society.

I feel so alone. Maybe it is because of my area and there are just no other free thinkers and doers around, but I feel incredibly alone in this world.

Does it takes someone that is crazy to finally step back and EXIT the system, making a stand and trying to prove a point that IT CAN BE DONE and that it doesn't HAVE to be this way?

Damn it, I feel like I am talking to a wall here. Am I the only one that sees a problem with the world? Am I the only one that will absolutely REFUSE to take part in the problem? Amy I crazy or is it the rest of the world?

Someone please back me up here.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
you are crazy. i am crazy. the world is crazy, too.

i pay taxes to pay for people to make more laws. no one can tell me the exact number of laws that exist, but i must conform to these mandatory expectations none the less. no child born today will live long enough to learn all the laws. yet, we pay people to make more of them.

the universe is a big vacuum. and it sucks.

i have paid more than $50,000 in mandatory car insurance payments in my life. i've never made a claim, no wrecks, and not one ticket since 1990. where has money gone? i dunno. but i pay because i have no choice, it is the law.

this planet has issues,
et

edit on 19-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because:
to add something

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The world's a messed up place man, but who really cares?

I went to school for 13 years and learned less in school than out of school. I also found the best way for me to make money was to alphabetize and prepare ancient records. If my brain was scanned at that job they might think I was in a coma. No one will believe that the 40 hour work week is unnecessary. It has to be, right? Otherwise you're just lazy.
If you think too much you aren't working enough. That's the real issue. That's why no matter what the 40 hour work week must continue.

The poverty of our century is unlike that of any other. It is not, as poverty was before, the result of natural scarcity, but of a set of priorities imposed upon the rest of the world by the rich.

Artificial scarcity: Why capitalism can not create a perfect society that lasts. It creates and destroys a society.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Just think about this for a moment...why do you think it makes others so upset and agitated to say those things?

you = happy
them = sad
you = free
them = slave

Thus, Y is alive and T is dead on the inside - this angers T, resulting in attacks on Y.

Hooray, look at me, I'm an upstanding citizen!

edit on 19/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

As I expected I was bashed and battered

A large portion of the american middle class derives a sense of self-worth from their submission to others, in the form of "work." Neither the upper nor lower classes share this view.

Someone please back me up here.

There are plenty of people who see things the way you do. You're simply associating with a crowd of people who cannot, because their values are based on subservience. Try talking to some homeless people. Many of them choose to not work for philosophical reasons. And amongst the upper classes, work is often viewed as a hobby.

Asking the middle class to relate to the idea of work as an undesireable thing is like asking a butcher to consider vegetarianism.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
...gwydionblack - after being on unemployment for over a year (iow: sucking the teats of the government you abhore and often threaten to overthrow, although you dont have a plan), you've worked for a WHOLE MONTH at a job you hate and you have the audacity to call other people complacent?...

...seriously, sweetie, you need to give up this wannabe warrior thang cuz you aint got the right kind of stuff... no one with a fully functional brain is going to give credence to anyone whose motto is do as i say, not as i do...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I will back you up! The biggest thing that get's on my nerve is when people say "It is the way it is." They shrug their shoulders and look at me like I could never change it. Well I have news for those that do not believe in real change. The system will change...and it is my goal in life to make it change. There are hundreds of better ways to operate our world. There are ways to feed the needy without taxing the rich. There are ways to allow people total freedom to become rich. There are ways to make sure everyone in America or the world has every necessity of life they need, so that they can contribute their skills to each other more freely. I dream of a world united in humanity. I dream of total freedom, mutual respect for each other, and an end to stupid status symbols that divide the world--that create us vs. them, me vs. you mentalities. There is a solution to everything, all we have to do is change the rules and the system will change. Most do not think this is possible, they fear if the rules change they lose what they have. Well it is going to change, and it will change.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I share your pain. Our society places so much emphasis on acquiring "things". It seems many people worship currency and devote their life to it. For what?

It is hard for me to accept trading my time for money, yet it is required in this society. I wish to simply "live". I am fortunate to have a handful of friends who share my views and can relate, yet most people cannot wrap their mind around the way I perceive the world. Closed minds, content to work for others, spend their money on things they don't need, and spend their spare time watching television. I would rather my journey through life be of different substance than this.

You are not crazy, you see the reality of the situation which others are blind to or content with.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I enjoyed reading about your trials and tribulations. You are interesting. And screw the proles who refuse to lead the revolt against economic tyranny!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Make money tax free. Find ways to do so.

Might mean working for someone off the hook, and becoming usefull. Its all about being usefull.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I agree with you!!!! I think you ppl bashing him for unemployment are missing the point - Im sure if the govt wasn't around, he'd find a way to make money - the point is we have this "hard work is moral" thing beaten into our heads to keep us consuming and working more than we need to to survive and be happy. not that you should be lazy but you shouldn't work harder than you need to.

and yes, the complacency annoys the crap out of me. people seem like they won't wake up until something as bad as the Holocaust or a nuclear war happens.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
You are completely insane, but it's not because you want to work for yourself and make money doing something that you enjoy. You are insane because time and again on this board you have put forth wanting to kill your fellow Americans in some half baked idea of a revolution.

Working for yourself is the height of the American dream. It's something I would like to do myself someday. I can understand your reasoning in wanting to keep this job just long enough to get caught up on your bills especially if you can earn a living doing something that you actually enjoy.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

If you're insane, then I am right there with you.

I attended a Zeitgeist meeting once. I thought I would go and see what they were about and maybe hope to bring about some change locally. What I found was a group of people engaging in intellectual masturbation. All theory, no action. I too felt as if I was just speaking to a wall.

You aren't alone. From workplaces to political rallies, no one wants to put in the effort. They believe in revisionism and other nonsense. I agree with your OP, society is far too complacent.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I can understand this concept, but at the same time they make it next to impossible for me to be happy. To an extent, yes, but so long as my friends and family constantly discredit me, I will never actually achieve self worth or happiness.

reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Ignorance. Unemployed does not meet I received handouts from the government. I received no handouts. I received no aid. I was denied unemployment benefits from the get go, and I am glad I was, because receiving a handout would have ruined the entire learning process.

You seem to believe you know a lot about me, but I don't think you have the slightest clue.

reply to post by ExPostFacto

I'm glad you still believe in change for the world. Your ideals are something everyone can and should believe are possible.

reply to post by AProphet1233

I enjoy typing about them. If I didn't, I would explode. I consider ATS a sort of, psychological venting place where at the very least, I might be able to see some people who see the world as I see it. Around my location, such is hard to come by.

reply to post by whatukno

Perhaps I am insane for my methods, which don't necessarily include killing tons of Americans, but I wouldn't consider myself insane for the result I am for.

Nonetheless, I have worked for myself doing what I enjoy, and it was good.

reply to post by AdAbsurdum

So how long are people going to accept it? How long are people just going to go on and on and on with making no effort of change, but just staying subservient to the system they hate.

I just can't understand why. I can step away from the system all that I like, but so long as no one else will ever choose to do so, nothing will ever be achieved.

It is all quite depressing.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with "intellectual masturbation" providing one intends to have a climax. Otherwise it is just a tease. I also was part of the Zeitgeist Movement but realized they were so stuck on their own model that they could not extend their belief outside of their box. They have part of the solution, however they fail to recognize others beliefs of freedom and control of their own life. The answer is somewhat of a mix of ZM and Ron Paul. We need a system that provides a higher quality of freedom, for more people, without fear of losing everything you have. If we want true economic prosperity, true individual freedom, we have to blend ideas so that it is a win/win for all involved. We also have to start recognizing those that influence our government for their own betterment at our expense. Corporations take the largest amounts of capital from our governments. Be it for war or for research they get rich from our labors. There is nothing wrong with getting rich, it is just that the greed is so deep in our modern society that it prevents most people from having a higher standard of life. I am not talking simply about having material wealth but personal wealth, time with family, time to learn, time contribute to a cause, or time to take away for yourself. All of these things currently require money. And those that control the purse strings and design of society would rather keep it the way it is and the expense of everyone else. After all, their life is just wonderful just as it is, why should we change anything.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I understand your concern, but you should know that society has its own pace of evolving and ofcourse you can try speed things up for yourself but you can't change the structure from day one. You feel a need to change things and you do it out of anger, thats why things arn't working out, you don't change the world out of anger but in a state of love.

It might sound cheesy if your not ready to hear it by thats the truth. You don't change society by rebelling against it on your own because YOU think it doesn't work. Fact is society works pretty well and ofcouse we have our flaws, every society has them but you don't yell at a baby because he can't grasp the notion of atmospheric presure.

that is what our society is, society is a kid and a kid has a certain conciousness of understanding, this can only change trhough time and self realization, this will come to our society also in due time. And if you want to do good for this world start acting accepting to anyone around you, start smiling at people you meet.

Start avoiding discussions and sometimes simply give in to the discussion even if you are right, this life isn't worth living in tension for, so try to flow with the way things are as best as you can, don't obstruct the process. You are not crazy to want change, and you are right that this isn't the perfect society, but you should know that getting frustrated over the reactions of others to your actions is hurting yourself.

If you can do what you do with total trust in yourself and in life then nothing what anyone else says should effect you. But you are in conflict with yourself and if anyone else says something it destablizes your ego and makes you ask yourself: "am I crazy? or...?"

I would say try to find peace within yourself and shine to the outer world after.

ps: You can not expect to live in this society without working with it/for it, if you want to live your own way, then I suggest going to the woods. But you must understand that society has evolved for over hunderds of years to get to this point and trying to change it singlehandedly will only hurt yourself.

edit on 20-9-2010 by colloredbrothers because: edit

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I am glad to hear that you have walked through the fires of your beliefs and concepts of the world and come out with a whole new philosophy. It wasn't but a year ago you were calling for a revolution, but at the time I thought you were looking at only one-side of the issue. You have definitely broadened your philosophy of what true freedom should look like. For those that stated you couldn't take what you preached, they apparently have never grown. Sometimes you have to believe something so intensely and then when challenged by those circumstances you realize while not wrong in your belief, you may have not taken something into consideration.

The past few years of my life has been a roller-coaster on the beliefs thing. Ron Paul I credit for waking me up and defining most of the things wrong with government; however, I became unemployed, lost my house because of unemployment, and was blamed by the Ron Paul supporters as being one of the dredges on society. I realized that Ron Paul's solutions where only part of it...that there had to be more. TZM brought another side of the spectrum to me. The answer is in between these concepts and is somewhere in the realm of what Cuba has just announced the long term goals of their country is. Government control of all life essential products (farming, health, housing, education, water/electrical) and total free-markets for everything else not life essential, taxes only being necessary to support the life essential production of goods and nothing more. In this way all have everything they need without fear of losing their ability to live in freedom. Add in the possibility of government becoming truly innovative by automating production without fear of losing jobs, as loss of jobs would equal less taxes and greater prosperity for the free-market, and there is the blueprint for a society that serves all persons needs rich, poor, middle-class equally and without massive debt.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

So how long are people going to accept it? How long are people just going to go on and on and on with making no effort of change, but just staying subservient to the system they hate.

I just can't understand why. I can step away from the system all that I like, but so long as no one else will ever choose to do so, nothing will ever be achieved.

It is all quite depressing.

I don't know.

Perhaps the UN investigating Arizona will help push things along. Perhaps future market instability will. Honestly, I believe we'd have to hit a socioeconomic sweet spot to be able to start creating change.

Around here for instance, we have 1-2 bank robberies a week. The media won't report them and goes out of their way to ignore the rising homeless problem. Police brutality has gotten some play now that they aren't just targeting minorities and well-to-do white people are getting jacked up. But, even with all this social unrest, taking it to some of the groups around here no one cares. They'd rather feel like rebels sitting in a coffee shop discussing how Genghis Kahn had the right idea and other nonsense.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

There is nothing wrong with "intellectual masturbation" providing one intends to have a climax.

Hahaha, I know. All Theory No Action, though. That was my issue.

There is nothing wrong with getting rich, it is just that the greed is so deep in our modern society that it prevents most people from having a higher standard of life. I am not talking simply about having material wealth but personal wealth, time with family, time to learn, time contribute to a cause, or time to take away for yourself. All of these things currently require money. And those that control the purse strings and design of society would rather keep it the way it is and the expense of everyone else. After all, their life is just wonderful just as it is, why should we change anything.

If I'm reading this right, I think we are in agreement.

If you we can restructure our economy so everyone was rich, truly rich, not monetarily but rich in life. I think we'd be much better off. Thy only problem is happy people don't make good consumers. I think many would trade a higher position in the company for the ability to spend time with their children if that lower rung job paid enough (had better hours, etc) to ensure his personal needs were met.

I don't think we are going to get that with out a fight. I've been out of work since Aug 2008. I've been told everything from overqualified to not a good fit because I don't speak french. It's an employers market. I was taught that revolution comes from the middle class. The poor doesn't have to time to concern itself with idealism and the rich don't want anything to change. The middle class are the ones with the luxury of time to be able to dream. At the same time the middle class acts as a buffer for social unrest. Absorbing some of the shock from the proles and allowing upward movement through class hierarchy keeping most begrudgingly accepting of their station at worst, IMO.

So, with a dwindling middle class, I believe you have a sweet spot where it can all come together. Until we hit the point where we have this window of opportunity I don't think we are going to be able to accomplish much. Besides, we may not have to. I would imagine some of our States would be up in arms over any crap the fed pulled once the money runs out. We'll just have to wait and I see.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I feel exactly how you do. I don't understand how everyone around me thinks the way we live is "normal". Why does working your life away trying to make money make you a good person?

I just don't understand how most people think living a life of slavery is the way things are supposed to be done. I guess it's cause they truly don't see anything strange at all.

Oh well it's very nice to see that someone else is out there that sees through the craziness. I hope there are more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join