It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China and Japan Escalate Standoff Over Fishing Captain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

China and Japan Escalate Standoff Over Fishing Captain

www.nytimes.com

The standoff over the arrest, which took place in waters near uninhabited islands claimed by both countries, escalated Sunday as China announced that it had suspended high-level exchanges with Japan, and threatened additional “strong countermeasures,” after Tokyo said it would extend its detention of the captain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China halts ministerial-level exchanges with Japan
China and Japan Bristle Over Disputed Chain of Islands

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well as promised. I Said I'd keep on top of the developing story. Strong Countermeasures Sounds like China may be willing to go the mat over this.

Anyone care to speculate as to what "Countermeasures" may be involved?

In a statement on Sunday, China’s Foreign Ministry said Japan had “seriously damaged Sino-Japan bilateral relations.” Beijing suspended all relations between provincial and central government officials and their Japanese counterparts, including talks aimed at expanding aviation routes and cooperation on coal.

The question becomes who will knuckle under first China or Japan?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Anti-Japan protests staged across China
Protests were held in China on Saturday against Japan's handling of a collision between a Chinese trawler and two Japanese patrol boats near the Senkaku Islands. The Japanese islands are claimed by China and Taiwan.

edit on 19-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: to fix video link

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Defiantly gonna get interesting considering China's got our money and because we have Japans back so to speak. Now both sides want to flex muscles. Where the hell is little Kimmy he should be popping up soon right!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I think North Korea is too busy figuring out who will finish running their country into the ground now that little Kimmy is retiring.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Ain't nothing going to happen to Japan over some stupid ship captain. This is just political B.S. Deals will be brokered in back room negotiations, the captain will get released, and everyone lives happily ever after.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Why did the OP create another thread when clearly the first one this morning can be added to? Not the easiest to keep up with information flow if you are just trying to create more threads on the same topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9/19/2010 by Greensage because: thread not post

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Hey thanks for your concern.
Well, it's over 14 hours later. It isn't really breaking news anymore IMO and it has been escalated. This story just broke about an hour ago. If you have any questions please feel free to reference the following Instructions for the Breaking News Forums - Updated May 1/09

edit on 19-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

AFP have Blocked this 54's video from playing on this site
. That's dumb
as I would not of known about this if it wasn't for ATS.

Zelong.

EDIT: This Blocking of content by any party seems to go against U.S. policy on Internet freedom as stated by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton,January 21, 2010.
Clinton unveils U.S. policy on Internet freedom

"We stand for a single Internet, where all of humanity has equal access to knowledge and ideas," Clinton said.
"The freedom to connect is like the freedom of assembly in cyberspace."
-- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking Thursday in a major policy statement.

edit on 19/9/10 by Zelong because: know to known- dam keyboard error
than Added:U.S. policy on Internet freedom

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Thanks for the heads up.
I replaced the video with another one.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Finally China is flexing its muscles and pushing the US empire slowly away from its shores..

The Islands are the starting point, the US knows that, and is trying hard to counter, but doesn't have the means, the wealth, nor the moral.

In my opinion the US will give up these Islands in the hope of satisfying China, and not allowing it to push further in to its territories..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A message to China and Japan,

Whatever you do, stay out of NZ waters.

We will not allow you here.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
A message to China and Japan,

Whatever you do, stay out of NZ waters.

We will not allow you here.

Don't worry, when the Antarctica treaty expires, you will see a bunch of powers coming towards NZ, it won't have the capability to defend itself therefore will allow itself to be absorbed by Australia, I would love to see the Maori insurgency in real life, that would be so darn interesting.

Here's a little more about the treaty:

The Madrid Protocol was signed in 1991 by the signatories to the Antarctic Treaty banning mining, this is up for review in 2041.

The Madrid Protocol became law in January 1998, it sets out the principles under which environmental protection in Antarctica is to be regulated. This includes a ban on all commercial mining for at least fifty years.

www.coolantarctica.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

They had better look out!

NZ is full of great warriors - Maori and Pakeha.

We may be small but NO-ONE is taking us over.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Don't forget to add the ten to twenty thousand Afghanis in the fight, I would fight and die for NZ before allowing someone to rule over this peaceful nation. This place is packed by all different type of people, you can probably find every nationality in here, and they all have grown to love the place

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I didn't know you were a kiwi, Oozy.

The bullies will not rule!

And what about those great people in Chch! I was glad to see a couple of looters caught. Two young white guys.

Which brings me to another point - we have a lot of offending Maori youth - but I don't think they would do this type of thing.

Off topic, sorry.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

There is a lot of bad blood between these two powers, the only thing is Japan is not the military power it once was, but it will be intersting to see if they do increase there military.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well there is an interesting perspective.
Do you have any facts to collaborate your reply?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
A quick scan of ATS recent Posts from my BB this am forced me to make time to come on and find out what this is all about, Slayer glad you did post it separately because the title alone captured my attention.

I have deep concerns about China trying to force Japan into bed with them over and above our (US) connections and agreements with them, when the incident at sea happened I wondered how long it would be before we began to see the lines being drawn and the final markers in place for a military action on the part of China against our allies in Japan.

To me this is potentially dangerous waters and needs to be watched closely as it could drag all of us into an unwanted conflict.

As we see the end of the Iraq conflict need I say that it is important to watch vigilantly to where our troops will next be headed?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes thank you Antar.
I feel that it would have been buried as well. It is too important of a story not to try and raise awareness.

Some people will just go about their business and be blissfully unaware.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join