It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim women protest against push to ban burka in Australia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM

They can try all they like but Aussies will never put up with it..

Have to disagree here, because most Aussies are too laid back and just accept what comes. Its one of the reasons the politicians here can get away with the waste and rubbish without major protests or action. It takes a proper breaking point for anyone to act, and even then its a minority that does so (see the Cronulla riots as an example).

As far as the burqa goes, let them wear what they like in public. However, in any place which requires that your face is shown for security then these rules take precedent over any religious beliefs. This really isnt an issue, though, because there are very few women in Australia that wear the full burqa which covers the whole face. The majority wear what is basically a shawl over the head. Especially the younger girls, i cant remember seeing a muslim girl in her teens/twenties wearing a full burqa (and i do live in an area that has a significant muslim population and multiple mosques).

Its a storm in a teacup.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
nm - edit

edit on 20/9/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It's not that she's wearing a bed sheet around town ... it's what could be hidden under it that's the problem. Radical Islamic Terrorism is a reality. You don't wait for Sydney to be blown up before you take preventive action.

The poor women are either being forced to do this or they are brainwashed.
Islam = bad for women. They don't know any better. It's sad.

Radical Islamic Terrorism is real

Safety first. Freedom to wear what you want? Sure. But safety for the majority first.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

OMG religionofpeace.com

Run along haters, that is where all of you gather, that is like the Mekkah of Islamophobic people.

Thanks for sharing it with us..

Now don't forget to add the important shrine of Islamophobic people Jihadwatch.org, or the grave of the grave site Islamophobic people AnsweringIslam.org ..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Just last weekend one approached me for assistance and I immediately tell her I can not hear her clearly with a clothe over her mouth and suggested she remove it so that I can understand what it is she is saying. They give me a filthy glance and exit immediately knowing they have no legal comeback.

Burquas should be banned in all nations worldwide, Islamic or not.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Fundamentally this issue comes down to a simple decision. Are you an Australian Muslim or are you a Muslim Australian?

edit on 20/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: PC filtered

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

There's nothing in the Qu'ran that even suggests Muslim women wear the burqua.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Fundamentally this issue comes down to a simple decision. Are you an Australian Muslim or are you a Muslim Australian?

edit on 20/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: PC filtered

I've seen it first hand on forums that are now closed off to the gen pub.

They are Islamic Australians. Islam before any government.

This cannot be argued against.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

This is a clear attack on our liberties. People should be able to wear what they want and this is clear discrimination. If they can regulate this, they can regulate people who have piercings in their noses or all over their faces, tatoos, they type of eccentric hair they have and any thing else they see fit. I love also how they call any activist group ''hard lined'...Absoluate propagated rubbish!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

The prblem is if someone is running around with a mask or or looking like Darth Vader, you cannot tell who they are. Especially when they get money out of the bank, go through airports etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zvezdar

I was studying recently, and we had a young lady from afghanistan with us, who only wore a scarf...

after it was starting toi hit the news about burqas being an opinion, she started rocking up in full ninja.

I felt sad for her, because she effectively made herself the point of scorn she was trying to denounce. We were all saying how wrong it was to say it's against personal choice, and she did this simply because she could not understand that we accepted her. She thought the entire topic was an attack on her.

I remember hearing the lecturer try to talk to her into understanding that discussing the topic is not casting aspersions but she was adamant in her refusal to accept this.

Oh well, in our heat, she is the only one suffering...

AND JUST TO ADD - I am/was a Mature Age student. Not a kid... jfyi...

edit on 20/9/2010 by badw0lf because: people are silly if not told everything...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Exactly!!!!!! people doesn't get it, Islam in countries of none Islamic government is still the same Islam that is practiced and followed in those countries that have Islamic governments because they follow Islam laws, so the same hate and intolerance that they show against none Islamic countries is the same intolerance they teach in their own Islamic ones

Muslim in none Islamic nations do not have a different version of Islam, Islam is Islam no matter what.

Intolerance and hate toward those that are not converted, just look at how they act in their own nations toward the infidales.

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing, they will never respect and practice the laws of the nation they are invading.

edit on 20-9-2010 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2010 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
There's nothing Islamic about the veil anyway - it's a popular misconception.

Besides - I can't wear a full face balaclava in public - so tough luck.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

What I do not understand about this issue is that if Islam does not specify that women need to wear the burka, why do we have Muslim women in non-Muslim countries protesting for their right to wear it in those countries? Where has this desire to wear this clothing item come from if it is not commanded by religion? Sharia Law? If that is the case, then wearing the burka is an act of showing support for Sharia Law. And what is Sharia Law based on?

edit on 20/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: fixed typos

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The burqa (the one that covers the face) needs and should be banned. Not only does it grant special rights to others based off a religion which a mere opinion or perspective on life, it is a general public safety issue. I find it absurd a woman or man, whichever, can walk into a bank or federal building with a mask in the name of religion, but yet if i said wearing a ski mask is my religion, i think its likely I would be arrested in the event I decided to walk into a bank. Would my rights be violated? No. Its for the overall safety of the public that you can easily be identified.

Sh!t they are even allowed to wear them with a driver's license photo!!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Run along haters,

Oh hon .. I can see that the PC police have gotten to you.
Instead of sitting there throwing mud, how about you attempt to discredit the stats I posted?
Note that I said ATTEMPT. Because you can't fight the truth.

TRUTH - ISLAM is bad for women.
TRUTH - Radical Islam hides bombs on people and commits mass murder of innocents

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

You are right, Burkas are only used in Islamic countries because the are afraid of persecution and death, specially in countries that practice Sharia laws.

But outside their own Islamic countries is not need for Burkas, the reason they want to push it is under the guise of individuality, but to me it has a more deep meaning, like forcing nations to accept Islam one way or the other.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Maybe so but I would still be interested in hearing from somebody with knowledge of Islam and Sharia Law to explain this. If it is not Islam that instructs women to wear the burka, then what else could it be aside from Sharia Law? It makes little sense. Maybe I am overlooking something?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
If you don't like the law, then maybe you should go back to a country where you do like the laws, like the trash dump you came from. Don't worry, you won't be missed.

Based on the above quote:
"Then I can't wait until they decide to ban mini-skirts" [oozyism]

Well I'm sure that the mini skirt is banned in Islamic countries so it all evens out in the end Ooze! No mini-skirts in Islamic countries and no burqas in Western countries. Fair is fair right. Muslims can't have it both ways.

IRM

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by L1U2C3I4F5E6R
"The lady doth protest to much" hahah just had to add this.

Let them protest. People are free to protest. Being heard is another thing. I agree that women should be banned from wearing them in public. Not JUST because its a religious thing but.... the fashion sense is simply appalling.

Because you don't agree with the fashion it should be illegal? That is a bit silly don't you think, or are you being sarcastic

Personally I don't care if they want to wear them but when they are in places that require their faces to be shown they should respect the laws of the country they are in and take it off. I can't wear a hat in a bank so they shouldn't be allowed to cover their faces in a place like that either. I understand it being a "security" feature as to why they don't want them in certain places. I see they banned them in France, I live in the US, I wonder how long before they try and ban them here.

I know a few people who wear burkas but they don't wear the face piece, they more or less look like a nun's outfit around the face. You can see their face and the part that goes over their mouth and nose is removable. I worked in retail and we have a few customers who wore these in our store but they always took off the face covering piece. I even asked them where they wear clothes from my store since they were always covered when they came into the store. Apparently when they are at home and around friends and family they can wear whatever they want but in public they are required by their beliefs to cover up. I don't see a problem with it. I think there are other problems going on in the world that are more important than the whole burka issue.

The picture on the right is how they looked when they came into my store. I also saw a group of women in Orlando at the mall recently dressed in this and their face was showing just like the right side of the picture.

If they wear them like this do people still have a problem? I don't see a problem with it as long as their face is showing like in the picture on the right.

edit on 9/20/2010 by mblahnikluver because: add picture

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ahem..
Many of you know I'm probably one of the most liberal members here on ATS. However, I'll have to be on the side of banning the burka.

Let's take the idea of wearing a kind of mask in a store or shop. You can't for security reasons obviously. A burka is the same thing. This is a different society than the Middle East. Different rules and a completely different game. I'm sorry if someone's going to be offended if they can't wear something that covers their face inside a store. That's just how other nations and other cultures roll. We should be culturally aware and respectful when we reside or enter a different culture than ours. They should do the same. Abide by the rules.

It's just logic.

Here's an excellent clip of Salman Rushdie sharing his views on it:

edit on 20-9-2010 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join