It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Blown-out BP well finally killed at bottom of Gulf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

The well is dead. Finally.

A permanent cement plug sealed BP's well nearly 2.5 miles below the sea floor in the Gulf of Mexico, five agonizing months after an explosion sank a drilling rig and led to the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the federal government's point man on the disaster, said Sunday BP's well "is effectively dead" and posed no further threat to the Gulf. Allen said a pressure test to ensure the cement plug would hold was completed at 5:54 a.m. CDT.

Yahoo! News Article

Well thank goodness this is finally over!! (So they say...) Let's hope it really is and something like this never happens again. Let's hope some people really learned from their horrible mistakes. We all need to do our part and use as little oil as we possibly can.

Drive your cars less, carpool more. Walk more, bicycle more. Don't use as much electricity if you don't need to. There are a million things we can do to conserve resources which leads to more drilling. Let's all do our part!

edit on 9/19/2010 by pjslug because: Added external quotes

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Sorry,but it's not over. The things that are going on in the gulf, with people getting sick, and fish dying. It's probaly just the beginning.Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You're right. The side effects to come are not over, but the spilling of the oil is over and now they can focus on the cleanup. And they will focus on the cleanup or people will rise up in arms.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I hope your right. But I think that the mess is so huge,there's no way it can ever be cleaned up. BP will probaly do everything they can to do and spend as little as possible. I hope the people do rise up and really raise hell, we can't let them gety off easy with this.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by starseed33
I hope your right. But I think that the mess is so huge,there's no way it can ever be cleaned up. BP will probaly do everything they can to do and spend as little as possible. I hope the people do rise up and really raise hell, we can't let them gety off easy with this.

Yes, it is over. The well is killed, permanently [or have I inappropriately used that word ''permanent''?]. I assume you mean the effects of the spill are not over yet? If that's indeed what you mean, then yes you're right, the effects will continue to cause microcosms of disaster in certain areas and in their own way, but it is very unlikely to cause the scale of problems that were asserted on here by a good number of posters.

Interesting to see, yet again, the 'experts' have crawled back under their rocks.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The well is not longer in use and sealed, but the oil leak is still there no in the quantities that it was before, regardless of what the government and BP said that is sealed is not true, when BP did the expectations in the beginning of the oil leak they where very clear that the well could not be totally sealed but that the leak could be down to a trickle.

So oil will be seeping from that well on the ocean floor as a Trickle for many years to come.

edit on 20-9-2010 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The well is not longer in use and sealed, but the oil leak is still there no in the quantities that it was before, regardless of what the government and BP said that is [b]sealed is not true, when BP did the expectations in the beginning of the oil leak they where very clear that the well could not be totally sealed but that the leak could be down to a trickle.

So oil will be seeping from that well on the ocean floor as a Trickle for many years to come.

Marg, pardon me for this seemingly pedantic reply, but I didn't understand a word of what you just wrote, above.

Are you saying that the well is no longer in use and HAS been sealed? Or, are you then saying the oil leak is still there just not in the quantities that it was before? I'm not following. If something is sealed, then it is invariably not leaking? If they've killed the well, which I assume is the case from reports, are you suggesting that a trickle is still present? I'd like to see a link to this.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BAZ752

The oil will always be sipping from the well regardless the propaganda that is "sealed". Plain and simple, if you followed BP and their expectations on how to deal with the leak in the beginning, they were very clear that the well will not be use anymore and will be closed but the leak will always be there, not in the quantities that it was before been closed but down to a trickle.

The change of words, like sealed and killed is to appease the outrage of the American people because the disaster that the oil leak caused in the gulf.

A littler change in words makes a big different when it comes to propaganda.

Taking into consideration that the gulf sea floor is always seeping oil

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The lack of response to this thread just goes to prove that ATS'ers only care about doom and gloom. Look at the hundreds of flags and responses on the threads when the well was leaking oil and spewing out of control. Now that it's sealed, no one seems to give a damn. People here are pathetic.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Is not that they don't care, but in the US people will believe what big media paid by big corporate mafia tells them to believe.

Change the words to "sealed" "killed" and "closed" and people will be happily ever after even when the waters in the gulf will always be polluted and the sea food will always be tamper with.

Because that's how it works with the harts and minds of the people in this nation, big corporate profiteers from government to food industry and big oil knows that and they know how to manipulate the masses.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Sorry but I live in the US and I don't believe anything msm says.I personally think we haven't seen the worst of this yet.And I don't know if the well they sealed is actually the one that was leaking, I guess will see. B ut sadly you are right, too many people believe everything they say on tv. I gave up tv 16 months ago, smartest thing I ever did. I think the effects of the corexit they used in the gulf are just starting to show up. I don't think we've seen the worst yet.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have a hard time believing anything BP says anymore. If they finally killed this thing then that is good news. You might check out this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It has some interesting posts that will somewhat show a little different view on this situation. It is worth checking out.You can also view the ROV feeds still but for how long is an answer that nobody knows, or they just will not say.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
And they will focus on the cleanup or people will rise up in arms.

I wouldn't bet on it.

secondlne

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by BAZ752

The change of words, like sealed and killed is to appease the outrage of the American people because the disaster that the oil leak caused in the gulf.

A littler change in words makes a big different when it comes to propaganda.

Taking into consideration that the gulf sea floor is always seeping oil

...and you think I'm not already aware of this? I willingly accept that propaganda exists and that it's used as an important function to the media. It has quite excessively been used in this whole debacle, but propaganda can also be considered the mirror of rumour, and in rumour there's at least 1% truth, statistically speaking. I don't buy into the doom and gloom of this whole event either because people on here would have you believe that it's apocalyptic by nature because they've done ''research'' and have been watching the BOP on the cameras.

I remain absolutely and undeniably UNconvinced that this event is as dramatic as these so called 'experts' and doom and gloomers would have one believe. Awful? Yes, indeed. Life changing? Only to those who have had to suffer the effects of the spillage locally - people and industry will bounce back, you'd terribly niave and ill-educated to consider it otherwise.

As a poster has quite appropriately stated (please excuse me for not quoting you), this thread has barely recieved recognition by the sorts of posters who made such ludicrous claims and irrational fear-mongering.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BAZ752
As a poster has quite appropriately stated (please excuse me for not quoting you), this thread has barely recieved recognition by the sorts of posters who made such ludicrous claims and irrational fear-mongering.

Absolutely, because that's all they care about -- making ludicrous claims and parroting irrational fear-mongering. ATS'ers are nuts for the most part. When I first joined this site, like a cult member I was sucked in and felt overwhelming despair and got extremely depressed. All the end-of-the-world talk had me freaked out and I tried convincing others what we were in for. Well one day I woke up and realized 98% of the stuff on this site is pure garbage, and now call people out on their B.S.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah, back in the day, when a oil well fell over and spewed oil all over the gulf, it was the end of the world and the beginning of oilpoccolypse. the gulf would explode and Many Many people would loose their homes cause the gulf blew up,... yeah those were the days..

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree with you but i also think they done some damage to the sea bed.
If this is the case............well i dread to think what the future holds for us.
The Gulf-stream could be affected and that could be catastrophic.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Agreed, you can't come to ATS and take everythings for facts... if you do so, depression is in the corner...

ATS main purpose in my mind is to make you think by yourself, critisise and question what you learn and to get another view of world events outside the msm. I have seen here mindblowing news and events ( real deal not just theory ) that msm never talked about.

For the lack of comments in threads like this, i think its more because there is nothing much to say than a lack of interest because its not fear mongering.

I mean , what can we say about a news like this " BREAKING NEWS: Blown-out BP well finally killed at bottom of Gulf " except : whoaaa, good, great, im happy, thanks god etc...there is no room to throw a theory or a conspiracy, no matter to discuss in depth theory or to debunk something.

Starseed33 and BAZ752 both said everything " matter to discuss" about news like that.

Lack of comments does not mean lack of interest, i really appreciate the time you spare to share good new like that with us.

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by B3lz3buth

Quite rightly too, I agree. I would also pose that ATSers cannot feed enough anxiety or curiousity from a thread like this because it doesn't appeal to the nature of why they're here in the first place.

I always considered the 'Breaking News' elements of the Deepwater Disaster forum to be questionable at best and what a few, more select, posters wrote about the incident was literal fear-mongering, be it directly, or indirectly.

I'm certainly not in a position to ask that these same posters come here with 'cap in hand', so to speak, but a level of diligence and integrity are qualities I [blindly and foolishly] tend to attribute with those same said posters who would claim to know more about it than the rest of us. We simply have not, and likely will not see that ever happening.

I'm in a firm agreement with pjslug on the fact that this site comes with a lot of emotional baggage. It is also my opinion that this site is often more misleading than most MSM news vessels. MSM is what it is - mainstream and carefully designed to reach an array of audiences. It has to be orchestrated in such ways that the message conveyed causes a reaction in that audience - and it isn't always as sinister as some hardened conspiracy loonies would have you believe either. The problem with it is the level of dilution and distraction attached to any given 'story'.

I digress, again. With reference to pjslug's comments, I too have confronted my own difficulties in trying to enjoy this site while also having to maintain a detached interest in what I'm reading. It's very often hard to be purely objective on most of the matters presented here but what remains a real problem is that this site can be very depressing for the most part.

edit on 22-9-2010 by BAZ752 because: grammatical error

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Out of sight is out of mind.
Just last week, an acquaintance got his dive tanks out to go snorkeling.
A friend of mine attended a crab boil party.
A vegan I know who claims to be very health conscious went swimming in the gulf a couple of weeks ago.
All of these people I mentioned believe that it is "not all that bad" or that "the worst is over".
It's back to business as usual.
Out of sight is out of mind. That's what the corexit was all about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join