It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Awesome yet scary Quadrotor drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have recently found out about this semi aware drone project out of the university of pennsylvania,and well just check it out and see what you think.

(There are other videos of this project,but I have just chosen a few of my favourites.)

Flips:

These critters can self correct their orrientation in flight if bashed:
And they are FAST.

Also,they can gang up to lift objects if they need to:

Check out some of the comments on youtube,people are saying "SKYNET is upon us!!"

I think those machines are great,and imagine scaling it up to fit a person in-that would be a great sunday jaunt,over the forests and mountains...

But I expect they will soon be used by the state to issue parking fines and stuff...
Oh well,lets just hope they do not evolve into fully atonomous flying robot coppers...

Heres the folks who build these critters website:

www.grasp.upenn.edu...

They have other cool projects as well.

edit on 19/9/2010 by Silcone Synapse because: failed to include a vital link sorry!!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Variations of these little buggers are turning up everywhere these days. The Merseyside police in the UK even have one which they used illegally before they had official permission. You can also buy ones for personal use.

spygadgets.blogspot.com...

Star and Flag

I think they're kinda cool even though they may one day contribute to the further violation of our personal freedoms

edit on 19-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: Linkin it up hell yeah!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
These things are really interesting.
I think someone did post something about these a while back, but the movie was a guy demonstrating them in a park somewhere with a camera attatched to them.
Whilst I think they are pretty amazing, I can't help but be a little creeped out by them, as the applications could be less than liberating for some of us.

edit on 19-9-2010 by Illegal Alien because: Oops. Already beaten to it as I was writing this.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Hella cool SS! Such agility and speed, it seems like a helicopter size one would out maneuver an actual helicopter, no? I wonder about some water models that could zip around underwater too.
I can see both military and civilian application here, and yes the AI potential can be, and has been, a great source for the sci-fi imagination, even though I personally would bet that the day will come when AI tech drone poses at least a "potential" threat to an unintended target. Crossed wires/signals or epiphanies of self realization could send one of these things in the wrong direction.
Fascinating nonetheless!

spec

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that OP.

Whats really scary to me, maybe a instinctual thing, but they sound like a giant flock of bees. The more of them, the more scary they sound, could you imagine walking in some unauthorized area and having a group of these fly up to you, it would be very intimidating. Especially, if all of a sudden(who ever was controlling it) started speaking to you, telling you to beat it. Add on some form of taser device and these things would be one heck of a security drone.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Imagine the evolution of this ..there could turn out to be "bombs" which disperse several thousand of the chappies,over an enemy city.
They could be equipped with darts to incapacitate/tag/visa/warrant/curfew/illegal persons etc...

They could RFID tag you with "smart dust" or subdermal nano dart your skin when they are perfected-and there are folks working on those very applications sadly.
I imagine DARPA will be interested in the Quadrotors,as they could help them achieve their ultimate objective of being able to scan all things on our dear earth,at all times.

I see indoor areas/hangars/malls in the near future being wired for induction/tesla wireless power transfer-and these quadrotors could easily run from an induction field,which essentially charges their batteries on the fly,giving them long airtime.

But really,what we want is a giant version capable of carrying a dozen folks,for a top form of transportl!!
Or a personal 2 man version.
Wow I want one please.

edit on 19/9/2010 by Silcone Synapse because: spelling and details my friends.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Check out some of the comments on youtube,people are saying "SKYNET is upon us!!"

edit on 19/9/2010 by Silcone Synapse because: failed to include a vital link sorry!!

Holy Cyberdyne, Batman. Those are cool. Imagine if they were weaponized. As small as they are, they could go through a window and be used to assassinate people. A more positive use would be construction or rescue missions...if they were larger. Thanks for posting.

edit on 19-9-2010 by Skid Mark because: Brain fart

join