It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Candidate with history of feuds with local officials says she plans to sue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'll have to admit, I saw this on the daily show and I had to look it up.

Madison — State elections officials Wednesday narrowly rejected a Milwaukee Assembly candidate's attempt to run with the slogan "NOT the 'whiteman's bitch' " under her name on the ballot.

Ieshuh Griffin, an independent candidate with a history of feuds with local officials, said in response she would sue the state Government Accountability Board for infringing on her freedom of speech.

She is running to replace retiring Rep. Annette "Polly" Williams (D-Milwaukee).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.jsonline.com...

Now I know that politics has gotten crazy lately but this I think is the epitome of US Political Madness.

Yet, is this not what the TEA Party movement has been saying all along?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Oh and if that wasn't enough, she did in fact try and sue...

MADISON, Wis. — A federal court has rejected a lawsuit filed by an independent candidate for the state Assembly in Wisconsin who wants to use a racially charged phrase to describe herself on the ballot.

U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa said in the order filed Wednesday that Ieshuh Griffin's lawsuit must be dismissed because it was a habeas corpus action and those require the person bringing it to be in custody.

Randa did not rule the merits of the lawsuit. Griffin is fighting a decision by the state Government Accountability Board barring her from using the phrase "NOT the 'whiteman's bitch'" to describe herself on the ballot.

Ieshuh Griffin, Milwaukee Candidate, Sues To Use Racially Charged Language On Ballot

An action limiting someone's freedom of speech? Or maybe just not letting people go overboard?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
This is a case where both sides are correct in their view of the law. On the side of the canidate, yes she is correct that she does have the freedom of speech, and the right to speak and say as she so choose. On the other side, sits the board, that must make a decision, using their knowledge of the law to determine what may be deemed or viewed as being offensive or deragatory in nature, and both of their reasons do hold merit and give one pause to think.
In the public arena of the politics, image is very important, as everything that a canidate has done, and will do is judged. Every promise and statement is carefully listened to, and they are often held to a higher and different standard than that of the voting public. The real shame of this entire event, is that the canidate appears to be very well spoken and intelligent. Even though she is wanting to make a statement that states she is not going to just roll over and be under someone, her choice of words would ultimately insult or offend someone, and chances are it would be the women in her district, as the b word that she used, is often used as a deragatory name for women.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I think personally she is trying to use her whole "Slogan" for inflammatory reasons. I believe she is trying to get shock value out of her slogan.

But it obviously helped her get some free campaigning didn't it?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
She is allowed to be a bigot and a hater, she has the whole proof of the Black Theology excuse.

It is like an invisible shield against being an ass. Perfectly normal attitude.

One cannot be a bigot or racist when one is a minority here in the US.

You can only be a bigot or racist if you are white.

Proven fact, right whatukno?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Wow.
That's crazy. With that much chutzpah I might would have to vote for her.

However, I don't think I could, as her name, Ieshuh, is incredibly stupid. Reminds me of "Lafawnduh" spelling from 'Napoleon Dynamite.'

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

It is like an invisible shield against being an ass. Perfectly normal attitude.

I am not sure why she would need a shield for being an ass, I am an ass all the time and don't require a shield from the repercussions.

One cannot be a bigot or racist when one is a minority here in the US.

Actually one can, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton come to mind when talking about minority racists.

You can only be a bigot or racist if you are white.

Well, anyone can be a bigot or a racist, it's just that us white folks do it real well.

Proven fact, right whatukno?

Isn't it time for a new username endisnighe?

reply to post by MeSoCorny

Well I can't vote for her because I don't live in that area, but I can call this out for what it is.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Wow, I just looked him up, got to 20 something on the contributors list.

That would be filling some shoes wouldn't it.

new topics

top topics

join