It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christine O'Donnell for Senate website scrubbed of all content

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
www.examiner.com

Within 24 hours of her Republican primary win Christine O' Donnell has removed all relevant content from her website. A quick visit to the website (at the time this article was written) reveals only a link to donate to the campaign. No biography exists or a summary of O' Donnell's positions on the issues.

Think Progress noted that the links to the O' Donnell website were broken early yesterday. Since that time the website has been greatly simplified to the current "donate only" format. Think Progress theorizes that O' Donnell may have cleaned her website to cover up embarrassing details about O' Donnell's belief on issues involving sex, abortion, and evolution. In Delaware, a state known to be more socially liberal than a typical Republican state, such viewpoints may not go over well with the general electorate.

The website cleaning is becoming a familiar pattern for many Tea Party backed candidates who win the Republican nomination. In Nevada Republican nominee Sharon Angle removed many of her previous policy proposals (including one to privatize Social Security) after winning the primary election. Now the Angle website makes no mention of Social Security privatization. Instead Angle's current website refers simply to creating "personalized accounts for the next generation," which is the politically safer way to propose privatizing Social Security.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not an uncommon occurrence among candidates whose real positions on many issues are considered too controversial by the powers that be in their parties. They try to remake themselves in a more moderate mold in order to appeal to the many voters in the middle.

While I do not agree with O'Donnell's positions on most issues, I think progressives need to think before they trash a candidate's religious values and views. They should consider the possibility that more moderate people of faith may also perceive her as being victimized for her faith, not just ultra-conservatives.

IMO I think we can question a candidate's fitness for office in more productive ways than frontally attacking their religion.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I'm sure glad the Tea Party candidates are so different from Dem's and Repubs!
Now we have a real choice....blah blah blah.
More of the same old tricks.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I mentioned this in another thread.

I'm not living in her state, but I wanted to see what this "Tea Party" candidate about, so that perhaps I could get a feel for the candidates endorsed by the tea party..

But I couldn't find a thing about her.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Right. Her website is cleaned out of content. I imagine it will be replaced by more moderate-sounding positions but that won't make her less of a fringe element.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Wow, her site is not even in the wayback machine... was it not around long enough, I wonder?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I think it was there all through her campaign for Republican candidate for Joe Biden's Senate seat.

It was full of things that would make her controversial to the more moderate voters of Delaware. It isn't always a blue state but I think it was in 08.

I wish I had paid more attention to the site when it was up.

I suspect O'Donnell was/is being dishonest about a lot of things in her past. She has been accused of lying by some media pundits, if you can believe what any of them say. One of the charges of dishonesty Included, evidently, that she claimed she won in two (by some accounts three) counties when she ran against Biden in the last Senatorial race when she did not.

What would politicians do without handlers and expensive PR campaigns?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Until I saw that above - with the youtube video of her talking about dabbling in witchcraft and being with a guy on a satanic alter covered in blood, I thought -

I honestly thought -

That even though she ain't MY kinda girl, that she was just a simple girl, with simple morals ...someone just unsophisticated, but still maybe, OK, if her heart was in the right place.

But now I think she's a ignorant, lying sack of dung that will say anything she thinks people want to hear.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Wow. I wonder how the Fundamentalists will take this one. They're terrified of witchcraft. And they're her base.

I don't relate to Christine on most things, but to tell the truth I was interested in witchcraft for a little while when I was in my twenties. I was scrupulous to only associate with the "white" witches (not racially white but not dipping into "black" -- or evil -- witchcraft). This doesn't lessen the fact that I was involved for awhile.

I'd have a hard time explaining that if I were running for office now I've no doubt. But then I wouldn't run for office for a number of different reasons and things in my life that wouldn't conform to the "straight arrow" image you're supposed to project.

Don't get me wrong. I don't support Christine O'Donnell at all. But on this I have to say, "Nyahh, what's the big deal? She was young. I did it too."

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
SO, SO What.... it doesn't mean anything... has anyone ever thought it is just being retooled? websites are striped of content everyday.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
SO, SO What.... it doesn't mean anything... has anyone ever thought it is just being retooled? websites are striped of content everyday.

Yeah, that is kind of the point... Her entire image.. everything she presented herself as in the primaries is erased. She will come out looking like a differant person to appeal to democrats. And anyone who questions her new look will be met with "proof or it didn't happen"...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
When it gets closer to the election all of O'donnels' BS will be displayed. She was a horrible pick for the republicans; even karl roove went against her. I don't think the website is suspicious, she probably had some radical christian stuff on there. I see her trying to play herself as a moderate so she gets more votes, but the left and the concerned right will bring up the radical ideologies she has. There is so much "dirt" on her; there is this crazy interview with her former campaign manager that completely exposes her. And to the "Tea Party People" that support her because they want a "fresh face", she has tried running the past 5 elections. She is far from "fresh".

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Interesting. I can see a candidate scrubbing their website, but I'd like to see the before and after. If they're just freshening it up, that's one thing, but I suspect there's a lot more to it than that.

Source

However, I did find plenty of information concerning her passionate crusade against masturbation, gay marriage, pre-marital sex and abortion. I’ve also learned that she has strongly supported censorship and applying Biblical principals into all levels of public policy. But even these issues don’t help us find out what she really stands for. As recently as last night, O’Donnell seemed to be backpedaling on some of the more controversial positions she previously held in an attempt to clean up her image, or at least come off as less of a fanatical religious zealot.

According to this morning’s Washington Post:

“In her first post-primary debate against Democratic nominee Chris Coons, O’Donnell said she has matured since making controversial statements in favor of “sexual purity” and against masturbation in a 1996 MTV documentary. “I was very excited and passionate about my newfound faith,” she said about that period in her life.”

Now, if her website comes up with more middle of the road opinions. I for one, will be very suspicious.

Here's what Chris Coons has to say about her:
secure.democratsenators.org...

Make no mistake – Sarah Palin, Jim DeMint, Michelle Bachman, and the Tea Party Express will invest to make sure O'Donnell joins them in Washington.

We cannot let Delaware's Senate seat fall into ultraconservative hands – into the grasp of a candidate who is out of touch with our state and the challenges we face.

Ouch!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

How can I be surprised? 'Scrubbing' has become routine for many GOP and conservative candidates and even rightwing websites, WND has scrubbed their articles how many times now? Drudge? I recall that even progressive websites like Huffington post have done so, however I have seen a fair amount more through conservative websites.

I do find it amusing that theres this idea being spread around from many tea partiers that these candidates are somehow 'different', that they are going to 'change the GOP establishment' some way or another. Truth is these candidates have proven themselves to be no different from your run of the mill Bush politician. Some of them were well in step with the Bush administration before, others are running on the same campaign 'talk' that has been used time and time again by GOP candidates for the last 3,4 decades? 'Small government' 'Holding Washington accountable' and so forth. Its the same talk but beyond that? When (if any) of these candidates get to Washington they will just get sucked into the GOP routine and then what next? Well tea partiers will look to somebody else to rally behind. Pritty much we'll get another neocon government in power but by then the tea parties will be silent, because they had 'achieved' their goal of getting the Republicans elected.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
As of right now the Christine O'Donnell website still is scrubbed of all content, except an appeal for donations.

Christine2010

No matter how her image is cleaned up, the fact remains that she is a person of questionable sanity.

There must be something in the Constitution about this

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Political positions from Wikipedia here: en.wikipedia.org...

* Contoversies of relevance include an IRS lien on her home, Missapropriation of campaign funds to pay for personal expenses over the last 5 years -- accused by her campaign finance manager and an ex aide, dishonesty with regards to a college degree and she sued a Conservative Think tank for about 7 Million dollars for "Mental Anguish"

Abortion and stem cell research
O'Donnell is pro-life. She opposes abortion, including in cases of rape and incest. She would allow abortion with the family's consent, if the woman would otherwise die.

O'Donnell opposes human embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, and research into cloning monkey embryos.

Economic policy
O'Donnell says that she will never vote to increase taxes.

Environment
Blocking cap and trade legislation would be one of her first priorities.

Gun rights
The National Rifle Association endorses O'Donnell

Health care
O'Donnell says the first thing she would like to do if elected is to vote to repeal health care legislation enacted by Congress in 2010.

Social Security
O'Donnell supports raising the age for receiving Social Security benefits.

Religious views
O'Donnell has been described as a former Catholic turned Evangelical Christian.She has stated that she prays on every decision she makes and that during the 2006 primary she, "heard the audible voice of God". She has said that she now attends both Protestant and Catholic services.

Gay Rights
In 2006, she told a newspaper that homosexuals have an "identity disorder".

edit on 21-9-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Surely there must be some sane Fundamentalists that the Republicans or the Tea Party can run? Or are they all this nutty?

I'm guessing only the most motivated of voters actually turned up for the primaries in Delaware. That would be only a fraction of the Republicans who will actually vote in November.

I predict a sound defeat for O'Donnell in the senatorial race, as members of the GOP will decline to vote for her either. Or maybe I'm overestimating the sanity of the whole party?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity I G00gled her. The first link to come up is this: Link: christine2010.com...

If you click the link in the upper left hand corner that reads "Skip and continue to site..." it opens the main web page. I didn't know what her site looked like before but there is definitely content there.

Home Page

Just an FYI.... I have no opinion to offer

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Thaks for that update. The link is new. Guess it would be a good time to se if her platform has changed any?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I did click on the upper left corner and it does indeed lead to more information. Thanks for the update

edit on 22-9-2010 by Sestias because: my own error

new topics

top topics

join