It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to sell Syria anti-ship cruise missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Seems like another go ahead for the axis of evil countries to get their hands on some powerful equipment. A small excerpt.

"Russia's has confirmed it will supply Syria with anti-ship cruise missiles, Russian media report.

Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov was quoted as saying Russia would fulfil a contract signed in 2007 for the P-800 Yakhont missiles.

Both the US and Israel had requested that Syria should not be supplied with the missiles.

But Russian officials did not agree that they would "fall into the hands of terrorists", Mr Serdyukov said.

Israel said they would pose a threat to its navy vessels in the Mediterranean"

The source
www.bbc.co.uk...

Regards, Naeem

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Russia has as much right to sell weapons as the US does. Syria has as much right to buy weapons as Israel does. Overall, I'm OK with this story. I see less chance of a violent outbreak between two parties that are well armed. The violence usually breaks out when one party is much stronger than the other.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Maybe Isreal should give back the land they took illegally, and they wouldn't have anything to fear. But that solution would put a lot of Jews in a very difficult situation. Everyone knows their lobbying power so I don't think there will ever be peace there so best keep both sides well armed and there won't be any conflict. Like the other poster said.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by naeem11111
Seems like another go ahead for the axis of evil countries to get their hands on some powerful equipment.

Stating an argument from a false premise is a guaranteed fail.

If you want to see a citizen of the axis-of-evil-countries, look in the mirror (assuming your country is a NATO member). The core of the axis of evil is comprised of the the US/Israel and other countries that support the evil empires goals through blackmail, bribery or swapping favors.

edit on 17-9-2010 by praxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by erumisato
Russia has as much right to sell weapons as the US does. Syria has as much right to buy weapons as Israel does. Overall, I'm OK with this story. I see less chance of a violent outbreak between two parties that are well armed. The violence usually breaks out when one party is much stronger than the other.

Sure they have a right to sell weapons, but they do not have the right to arm an extremist nation like Syria. Nobody has that right, as they should know damn well know that they would be risking the lives of everyone on this planet. The place is a powder keg for Christ's sake, do I really need to elaborate?

You see less of a chance of an outbreak? How so? I see more of a chance. Before this weapons deal, Syria was outclassed in terms of their weaponry against Israel, now they are much better equipped and thus likely much more confident in their ability to wage warfare. To top it all off, Israel sees itself as having no choice but to defend itself against the Iran Syria alliance, as if they do not, they risk annihilation. This shows that weapons deal is only adding to the pressure to strike fast and ask questions later. This also shows that everything is much more destabilized now than before, pushing the chances of conflict even higher.

edit on 17-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice

Originally posted by erumisato

Sure they have a right to sell weapons, but they do not have the right to arm an extremist nation like Syria. Nobody has that right, as they should know damn well know that they would be risking the lives of everyone on this planet. The place is a powder keg for Christ's sake, do I really need to elaborate?

You see less of a chance of an outbreak? How so? I see more of a chance. Before this weapons deal, Syria was outclassed in terms of their weaponry against Israel, now they are much better equipped and thus likely much more confident in their ability to wage warfare. To top it all off, Israel sees itself as having no choice but to defend itself against the Iran Syria alliance, as if they do not, they risk annihilation. This shows that weapons deal is only adding to the pressure to strike fast and ask questions later. This also shows that everything is much more destabilized now than before, pushing the chances of conflict even higher.

edit on 17-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

Israel always has a choice. Unfortunately for the entire world, our paranoid "little buddy" tends to choose poorly. They are the extremest nation. They are the nation with more spies and agents within the US than any five other countries combined. They are the nation that attacked the USS Liberty in a false flag operation to try and get the US to attack Egypt for them in 1967. (with the approval of Johnson) They are the nation that refuses to adhere to nuclear proliferation laws. They are the nation literally built on terrorism. Read up on the Irgun. They are the nation who stole the Palestinians land and refuse to give them a moments peace or an ounce of dignity.

Maybe it's time they take it down a notch and try to live peacefully with their neighbors. No one is going to attack them if they calm the hell down and act like a civilized country. I think the same of my own country. Aggression will only cause further hatred and violence.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Perhaps no defense against a heat seeker missile and a boat is
a big radiator.
Only the anti missile missile or perhaps force beams can destroy
a missile coming in.
Also slinging a lot of lead in its path and a few other ways.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

To top it all off, Israel sees itself as having no choice but to defend itself against the Iran Syria alliance, as if they do not, they risk annihilation. This shows that weapons deal is only adding to the pressure to strike fast and ask questions later.

Yes, Israel has rarely waited to "defend" itself by "attacking" first...

Israel must use a different definition of defence that the rest of the world...
They are probably glad Russia is doing this..
It will give Israel the excuse to "defend" itself again...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Russia to sell Syria anti-ship cruise missiles

Too bad they are worthless against overwhelming and continuous Air strikes.
Anti-Ship Missile batteries are sitting ducks.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Anti-Ship Missile batteries are sitting ducks.

So why are Israel complaining then??

Even if they were in deep bunkers, Israel could just use it's US supplied bunker busters..

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Sorry Slayer, but there is little substance in your statement. You can overwhelm almost ANYTHING with hard and precise air strikes. The fact that you NEED these strikes before a naval operation can begin is a game changer in itself.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Those are the facts.
Pro or Con

Why kill the messenger?
Modern warfare is a bitch that way.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by erumisato

Yea and the rest of the middle east has done so much for the Palistinians. All that BS does is focus the anger of the people to Israel and gets them to forget their own internal problems. It's so funny that one nation is the subject of so much fear. Not to mention that the US is not the only country to use underhanded tactics. Lots of folks like to point out what the US is doing that is soo wrong yet ignore the possibility other countries do it as much and better then the US. We will see what this weapon sale does so enough I reckon.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by praxis

Originally posted by naeem11111
Seems like another go ahead for the axis of evil countries to get their hands on some powerful equipment.

Stating an argument from a false premise is a guaranteed fail.

If you want to see a citizen of the axis-of-evil-countries, look in the mirror (assuming your country is a NATO member). The core of the axis of evil is comprised of the the US/Israel and other countries that support the evil empires goals through blackmail, bribery or swapping favors.

edit on 17-9-2010 by praxis because: (no reason given)

Sorry I meant to put in in quotes trying to be sarcastic, I did realise it before but it was too late.

Regards, Naeem

new topics

top topics

join