It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have to start supporting authors.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This isn't an Idea I have

This isn't an Idea I have already so I can present it in a warm and friendly way. It's just a thought. If the thought seems ok, maybe someone will see a way to present it that is warm and friendly.

We have to start supporting authors.
    Reality of selling twelve books
    Mr Mask

We have to start supporting authors. The economy, small jobs, extra income, and unemployment. This fantastic web site has very strict rules about providing links to hawk-your-book. Maybe these issues can be resorted.

Reality of selling twelve books. I have more time powering down computers than most people have time on teh interwebs. Everytime I see someone sell a book online, either no one buys it, or if it is really awesome they sell like twelve. Maybe. I can see how rules against the large well funded book sellers is a good thing. No one could even sell twelve copies in that environment. And from what I understand the larger outfits tend to creep in and usurp more and more local admin control.

I like Mr Mask's comic. He should have been able to provide a link to a LuLu, or some other small sellers site, so that the few ATS users who had already read it, and dug his work, if they so choose, could buy a copy.

Why are we against this, again?
There seems to be some
real talent here.

David Grouchy

p.s. I appologize Mr Mask, for using you as an example in my rhetoric without your prior permission.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I understand your position. But to sully ATS with user-generated commerce would risk ruining the very thing that makes this place what it is. That's just my opinion. mind you... and the T&C takes precedent over all other considerations in any event.

Could you imagine the kind of stuff people would start to peddle here? We would have so many with 'noble' intent, seizing every opportunity to generate revenue; and all on the backs of those who pay to keep this site working.... Somehow I don't think that's quite right,

Also, what of those who would sell outlandish material, offensive to some by its content, repugnant or repulsive to members who disagree with it. Skeptics versus Sellers would become a new battleground and the serious research oriented or simply avid and motivated learners would be subjected to it all....

I don't mean to say what you are suggesting is 'wrong'... just that it goes beyond what I thought ATS was about...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You're absolutely right.
When expressed that way I see nothing but disaster.
And I can't think of a way to make it fun while simultaniously just.

The peddling. That, I think, could be particularly obnoxious as half the threads turn into just the same old advertizements in a new dress. In what way is it possible to recomend someone elses book without setting the precedent that the flood gates are open and the loonies are running the place.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Good thoughts. The mod addressed it logistically. But remember, ATS has given Mask his stage, and will imburse him a modest amount for his efforts. He is "cashing in" on his talent, and ATS is to credit for not only inspiring the work to begin with, but then giving it a voice.

i, personally, am against trying to make money off of anything i write. it isn't my profession, it is my hobby. And i want to share with anyone wanting me to share. But i am a big proponent of "open source".

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

It has happened before. But that deal is worked out between the author and the 3 Amigos. But they have been open to the idea of promoting other businesses through this website before. I am sure that if the author and the amigos got together and worked something out then it could happen.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I agree with Maxmars and others...it would be a terrible idea. ATS could become a yard-sale! The only way I can imagine it working is if a separate section was created. Mr Mask's comic is high-end quality, but he's very clear that profit isn't even a consideration right now. 'I'm not interested in selling' is quite clear.

I noticed a member promoting their stuff recently and wouldn't like to see it happen very often. I could be biased as I'm no fan of the guy.

Word of mouth and recommendations is fair enough and people like to mention recent good books.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I agree that authors should be supported. MrMask is already being supported by ATS by giving him a Platform here. Thats enough support imo. But as the Filesharing Generation thinks it is entitled to get good work for free, I generally agree that supporting authors is a good campaign.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

We have to decide what our priorities are. The T&C are as they are to prevent the next Greer being funded by revenue from this site amongst other things, and we have to decide wether we are serious about the issues and the subjects we discuss, or wether we want to use them as a tool for gain. You cannot do both, you may think you can, but you cannot. Even if the intent behind the money spinner is pure, it leaves one and thereby ones opinions open to attack from all sides, and that is not acceptable. The debate on this site must be as pure as it can be for the benifit of both the site , and the membership, and that cannot continue if the site becomes a money farm for some members.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I was thinking you meant authors of well researched and put together threads, sort of like google does with quality youtube videos. But as far as selling things....one can only imagine some of the items.

top topics

join