It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the stars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Okay, this is my observation/inquiry only.

Does anyone know what has happened to the North Star? I routinely star gaze and enjoy pointing out formations to my kids. But as of this past month (+/-) there is no North Star, or shall I say it is not visible from my location. I can see the full shape of the Dipper formation, just not the North Star.

Anyone else notice it?

In relation, the moon has moved and appears oddly shaped now also.

Something is happening folks!

edit on 17-9-2010 by Speedforhire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Speedforhire

It's in New Zealand.
Visiting celebrities that have died twice.
What...is going on?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

yep
i also saw the moon yesterday and it did have a very weird shape
s and f

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by icecold7

I have noticed the moon has moved, but as I spend the majority of my time looking at stars, it was my wife that actually pointed out the odd shape. I had to agree with her (of course)......LOL!

NIBIRU must be accellerating things.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen.

No but can anyone who thinks the moon's gone wonky post a picture? I'd like to see it before I go get my socks wet popping out the back to have a gander in the cold and windy midnight hour..

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Just to clarify, we're all in agreement that the moon is not changing shape right? You do know that it's just shadowed and that the moon doesn't crumble to dust each month, forcing a new one to grow in its place right?

Statements like "Something is happening folks!" and "NIBIRU must be accellerating things." are just paranoid and delusional.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

The Moon changes its shape constantly, and travels completely around the the ecliptic (zodiac) during the course of the month. We've had rain here for the past few nights so I must admit I haven't seen Polaris lately either. If it's clear tonight, I promise I'll go out and have a look.

link   
I would suggest that all of you read a book on basic Astronomy.
Also, the moon is not, repeat NOT, made of green cheese.
You might find some actual knowledge of the moon and stars helpful.

link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I agree.........we'll see what my digi camera can do tonight.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
thats crazy, just the other night I said to another-Is that the North Star moving?- as we watched, it went on for a while and disappeared- they said are you sure it's not a satelite? so I thought OK if somethings up surely we will see a blog/post about it-and VIOLA!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Weeks ago I notice the moon is bigger, now it sort of return to normal size. The brightness also gone, must be something natural I guess. I did not notice anything weird now.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well, just to clarify! The moon appeared as a half moon, but had a large flat spot on the round side. It also appears closer than ever and has moved almost thirty degrees from where I normally view it.

As I said in my OP.........it is merely my observation......simply put!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
nobody mentioned in this thread how the earth moves...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RainCloud

It sounds like you're describing the "Moon Illusion," in which the Moon seems to be much larger when it is near the horizon. There are several theories about this. Here's Wikipedia's take:

A popular belief, stretching back at least to Aristotle in the 4th century BC, holds that the Moon appears larger near the horizon due to a real magnification effect caused by the Earth's atmosphere. This is not true: although the atmosphere does change the perceived colour of the Moon, it does not magnify or enlarge it. In fact, the Moon appears about 1.5% smaller when it is near the horizon than when it is high in the sky, because it is further away by up to one Earth radius and also because of atmospheric refraction, which makes the image of the Moon slightly smaller in the vertical axis. (Note that between different full moons, the Moon's angular diameter can vary from 33.5 arc minutes at perigee to 29.43 arc minutes at apogee — a difference of over 10%.[2])

Wikipedia

Basically, the Moon seems larger when you have identifiable objects nearby; trees, buildings, etc. They give you something to "measure it against." The color changes due to atmospheric conditions.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
as for the size of the moon there is an explanation. suggesting that it is your brain, tricking you and if you took a ruler at arms length it would look the same as when it is very small. this is complete crap. and if you where to try it you would see. but that is the only mainstream explanation.

www.word-detective.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Something is taking place.........IMHO!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I love anything connected to the stars.
I do not know what has happened to the North Star sorry.
I do know that the Earth at present is being affected by a polar shift which is increasing.
I am sure you are aware that the Earth proceeds around the Sun and so in turn the Sun proceeds around the galactic plane.
Our back yard if you like is the Orion Arm of the Milky Way.
I believe because we are travelling through areas of differnt cosmic forces ie proceeding we encounter seasons if you like or changes in our cosmic enviroment.
The Earth is tilted some 23 and a half degrees ie the Earth rotates in a slight wobbling but smooth motion.
If one were to draw a line of axis through the Earth that line extending upward would point to the Northern star.
However because the Sun proceeds its orbit around the Galactic Plane once every 25000 or so years the point of reference changes as the line of the axis is in affect tracing a circle both North and South I am saying this to point out that in other times Vega amonst others was used as the Nothern Star.
It appers that if this polar shift is due to some force being exerted on it this could be done through the interaction of magnatic fields around cosmic bodies such as Earths magnetic field
You see how stars in binary systems interact and how a white dwarf star regulates the orbit of main sequence star.
Polar shifts have happened many times throughout Earths history, data is found in sedimentary rocks.
Hope this is not too far away from your initial question.
I too would like to know more about strange anomolies that are occurring in space.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
You do realize Polaris is 430 light years from earth don't you?
That would mean any "change" you are seeing today, actually occured in the year 1580.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

You should install Stellarium on your P.C.
Its a free open source planetarium ....thingy-ma-jiggy .

All you have to do is find your location on its drop down menu , this will input your location coordinates .

When you click on a particular star you are interested in , it will give its name , distance from earth etc.....

You won`t regret it ..........neither will your kids.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thanx, I'll check it out! I normally use Microsoft World Wide Telescope...........

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join