It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How accurate are IQ tests?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by lordtyp0
IQ tests show speed of thought: rates of putting together information etc. etc. A low IQ does not means someone cannot comprehend, it means they take longer to reach the conclusion. Example: The inventor of the Artificial Heart was sub 100.

Though I choked when I read "How accurate IS IQ tests?" It tasted like irony to me, but it isn't..

Lol, yes sorry about that. As I have stated numerous times, English is my third language and I do tend to make mistakes, especially grammar mistakes. In retrospec, it does make for some good irony though, no?

VVV

Hey, if you speak three languages you are doing fantastic in my opinion

Doesn't mean I wont giggle at some things-I attribute that to being weird though.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Kind of a waste of time, but really I might have been a lot more positive if I had made Mensa!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I made an error too- I scored 139 on both tests- but that still doesn't seem to matter LOL

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

I don't mind at all if you some fun mate. I even laughed at myself when I realised my mistake.
As for the 3 languages, that does not qualify me as intelligent or anything. Maybe I have a certain brain for languages.
Unfortunately in my country there is 11 official languages, and i can only speak 2 of them! And I don't think i will be able to learn all 11.

VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The most used IQ test is the Stanford-Binet. It was originally designed to determine how well French students would do in school. It was then imported to America where it was tweaked at Stanford to pretty much give us the version we have today. In terms of validity and reliability, it is one of the best tests we have, outside of maybe the MMPI. While your score may be a few points higher or lower if you take it multiple times it won't be significantly different. However, as I have stated this was a test designed for school children.

For adults, there is the Wechsler Adult Intelligence scale, which once again is very well designed test. As with all legitimate IQ tests it is standardized every year. According to the creator of the test intelligence is "the global capacity of a person to act purposefully, to think rationally, and to deal effectively with his/her environment." Once again, this is a test that was designed not to tell you how "smart" you are, but to tell you how good you are at certain tasks and skills which tends to be focused on in school or the work place. In that respect these tests are unparalleled in their validity and will give consistent results.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

reply to post by lordtyp0

I don't mind at all if you some fun mate. I even laughed at myself when I realised my mistake.
As for the 3 languages, that does not qualify me as intelligent or anything. Maybe I have a certain brain for languages.
Unfortunately in my country there is 11 official languages, and i can only speak 2 of them! And I don't think i will be able to learn all 11.

VVV

Three languages to me means that you are interested in learning, not so egotistical as to presume all must speak your language and are open to complex new ideas. So no, it does not reflect intelligence so much as aptitude.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Only way i know how somebody can learn common sense is live on their own for awhile. That is basically how I learned my common sense. I myself did take one of those IQ tests and scored a 133 on it. I myself have always been piss poor in high school in grades.But personally I saw what high school was and it was nothing more than a popularity contest. Sadly, though found out I was Dyslexic too.

edit on 17-9-2010 by dragnet53 because: forgot something!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Thankyou very intelligent post. You must have a high IQ. And have a star!

thank you. i like stars. as for my IQ, i do not like to share, but according to professional studies i am sure i have a lower IQ in the mornings than i do in the evenings. it would seem most of the time i am not a morning person
. now that part i can agree with.

I just can't agree with the thought than we all have a set IQ, like these test would have us believe. I reckon we grow in intellegence as we go along and gain more knowledge from stuff around us.

i think people can change. i think peoples' IQs are capable of adapting to varying stimuli, where as fear and hate and their varying related moods can act as a counterincentive to peoples' receptivity to information.

IQ has more to do with comprehension and retaining and sharing that information than IQ has to do with actually how much a person really knows, i think.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

thank you. i like stars. as for my IQ, i do not like to share, but according to professional studies i am sure i have a lower IQ in the mornings than i do in the evenings. it would seem most of the time i am not a morning person . now that part i can agree with.

You might be saying this in jest, or maybe not, but I noticed that I seem sharper, more attentive, and generally smarter in the mornings. Also after I had a couple of beers, or whiskeys, I am smarter. Strange, but true.

VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Indeed, how accurate IS they?.
Somehow this title doesn't surprise me.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Don't you mean "How accurate 'are' I.Q. tests?

Sorry, couldn't resist it mate.

Just saw that someone had already noticed...damn.

edit on 17/9/2010 by spikey because: added info.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Indeed, how accurate IS they?.
Somehow this title doesn't surprise me.

Are you having a go at me? If you even bother to read the whole post, hell not even, just a couple of posts ago, I allready explained. But again I will apologise,
Weird how some people will find it funny, and others have to deface it.
]
VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Don't you mean "How accurate 'are' I.Q. tests?

Sorry, couldn't resist it mate.

Just saw that someone had already noticed...damn.

edit on 17/9/2010 by spikey because: added info.

No problem mate, at least you read the other posts. Thanks.
VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
IQ tests are meaningless junk science. Until someone invents a way to measure how much common sense one has, no one can measure someone's intelligence.

my common sense told me to google to see if anyone had invented any common sense tests.
(sorry)
But, you did give me a good idea...

Common Sense Test for Adults
my report card says i am 8% evil according to that test

Common Sense Test for Kids
my report card for this one says: "You have got lots of common sense. You will always be able to depend on it. Keep up the good work! "

edit on 17-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: To be 8% evil

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

i was diagnosed with ptsd associated with traumatic brain injuries due to being too close to things that went boom in war zones.

i was tested a lot by my government by teams of professionals for over 2 years at nellis afb.

over a two month study of tests taken at different times of the day, in the mornings i averaged an eighth grade level, in the afternoons i tested at a 6th year college level, and in the evenings i tested higher.

i think i might be sharing too much information here, but i choose to share anyways,
et

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Nice one. And yes, maybe the common sense test will make more sense than an IQ test.

According to that test i am 31% evil.

That was my result, if you were interested. So does that mean I have more, or less common sense than you?

VVV

edit on 17-9-2010 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: to correct something

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
A big THANK YOU goes out to whomever fixed the grammar mistake in my thread title.

Appreciate it, o mysterious force.

VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

That was my result, if you were interested. So does that mean I have more, or less common sense than you?

My common sense tells me that test may not be that accurate, depending upon the percentage of evil that those who designed the test may have had

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Nice one. And yes, maybe the common sense test will make more sense than an IQ test.

VVV

edit on 17-9-2010 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: to correct something

I got 27%

I think you must have chosen 1 million lol ;p

edit on 17-9-2010 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Hi, yes indeed i chose 1 million.

Honestly, 1 million or world peace?

Back on topic. I found this follow article very intersting :

The point of view which we are defending here is not one which seeks to "retard... the advance of psychological testing." By examining the presuppositions of IQ testing we are attempting to show that this type of psychological test has a very limited value which is basically far outweighed not only because of "unwarranted expectations," but because of features that are inherent in its essential make up.

Here is the link to the full article. Alot of reading but very interesting.

www.comnet.ca...(Lawler,1978).htm

VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

That was a hilarious test. I am 33% Evil- does that holding a cat ransom might still be in my future!

I once was the only person in my class to ace a one page aptitude test. The last line in the heading stated "if you check any boxes on this paper you will not pass."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join