It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 10.10 beta is out.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Senz20

Dual booting is what I do, as windows is like a gamecube, needed for some games, and for some who have printers that only like windows, you can do you work in linux, and copy it into another partition that was formatted win32 partition, and then boot into windows for your printing. Though certain printers such as many HP ones have good linux compatability.

The best way to give it a test run is to ensure you have room on your hardrive by doing doing that disc scan thing, I can't remember what its called in windows since i'm rarely there now, and then download, peferably pclinuxos and mepis, because ubuntu, you won't be able to watch youtube vidoes on, and its a really big job to get your monitor working at the right resolution and refresh rate, and also get the codecs for it, but pclinuxos and /or mepis work out of the box, and one of them always picks up my latest monitor just fine from Staples, and in addition you can download the win32 codecs and libdvd2 right in the synopsosis, for downloading.

You should use a open source burner, and can simply google open source burner iso windows 7 and there will be one, put out to burn the operating systems onto discs, don't do dvd, unless it is a dvd format and says, they're just under the size for a regular disc. Use the slowest speed for burning your burner is capable of for error free results.

And then you simply set your computer in the Bios to choose the dvd player as the first boot device and hard drive as second. Save and exit and reboot.

Choose to test it live. you can go to the desktop. Most say root or guest, and you simply click on guest and write guest in for the password. And make sure your internet works, you have sound etc. You don't want to install a lemon.

I have tried many OS's and Pclinuxos and Mepis are the two best in the world, at least the technology we have, better than Apple's versions even. If they have any limitations its only due to the closed source drivers that a few bought off companies do to comply with windows demans or deals they've made.
edit on 25-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Going to give it a shot. Suse had been my favorite for a while now. First install of Linux was turbolinux. It has come a long way since then.

<< 1  2   >>

join