It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 10.10 beta is out.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
If you are interested in Linux you might want to head over to www.ubuntu.com and grab the iso file for Ubuntu 10.10 beta. Final official release comes out 10/10/10.

I'm running the beta and it's pretty sweet. Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the info. How does it compare to windows and what programs are compatible with it?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well Linux isn't prone to viruses or malware so that's always a plus. There is tons of free programs for Ubuntu. There is a option in the taskbar menu to open up Software Center so you can easily search and install software. Ubuntu also updates all the software you have installed, no need to go through and do it individually for each program.

Ubuntu as well as all Linux distributions are free and open source, you can download and burn them on cd/dvd and give them out, install it on how ever many computers you want. There is no product activation like Windows has.

Linux is faster and now bogged down with bloatware.

When you download Ubuntu and burn the iso to disc you have also a Live disc so you can play around with it before you install it if you choose to. It's a great way to get a feel for it before installing it on your system.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I tossed around the idea of switching to Ubuntu, but opted for upgrading from Mint8 to 9 simply because I was used to it already and wasn't sure how different they are. I wouldn't mind trying Ubuntu on my netbook though, as it's a backup and doesn't have anything important stored on it...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Mint is a good also because it has media codecs already installed. Though I don't like how the GNOME desktop has been changed to the slab to look like Windows taskbar. OpenSuse does the same thing.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Love Linux!

Been using it off and on since the days of Red Hat 5.

I have Ubuntu 10.4.1 installed on my laptop dual booting with win7. I haven't booted into Windows since the Ubuntu install. No need to.

I use Gimp instead of Photoshop and Bluefish instead of Dreamweaver for coding. Open Office instead of Microsoft Office. Always used Thunderbird and Firefox anyway.

Gotta love the 3D desktop in Gnome. Pretty slick!

Ubuntu is quite polished compared to the old days of Linux of yester-year.

Haven't tried Mint yet!

Fedora is a great distro too!

edit on 15-9-2010 by Emptiness Dancing because: to add

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I made the switch about 3 months ago to Ubuntu 10.4 from win xp and i'm just starting to get used to the whole command line thingy
......in other words I try and stay clear and use the software repositories, was disappointed
I couldnt get MoBlock to work but thats a small sacrifice.

All in all I love Linux (
as you can see) and wont be switching back

ps Gimp is way too complicated, removed it and installed Krita...just what i need

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chupa-chups

Lol... I'm still trying to understand Gimp. I can crop and add borders. That's about it. There is a tutorial online, I've lost the link but a search should bring it up if you ever go back to it. I think I'll give your recommendation a try to, for giggles.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

For what I need to do, Gimp is just too time consuming......I chose Krita because people were comparing it to Paint.net which I loved in XP......Not quite but its ok, Funnily enough I created my new avatar using Pixlr addon in Firefox

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ubuntu is the shiizz! lol

10.10 is pretty impressive for still in beta!

Ive made a dual boot with it,
So I have Ubuntu 10.04 on half the hdd, and Ubuntu 10.10 on the other half.

I thought 10.04 was super quick~
but 10.10 might just be able to beat it upon final release!

Up until 10 or so months ago ,
I never used anything but window$ , and a mac here and there,
but never used linux.
I always thought it would be too hard and complicated to figure out and lear,
and that I would have to use to terminal/command line for everything..

But I was wrong!

You dont have to use the command line for anything if youre not comfy with it.

I do use it jusst to better learn the system, but you definitely dont have to.

I have never seen or used an OS as amazing as Ubuntu!

It is very, very easy, and soo beautiful! lol
and it works like freekin magick! I cant believe how good it works.

and the installs are soo much easier and more friendly than ANY window$ OS ive ever installed (a lot)

I will never, ever, ever go back to windoze, lol
and I have no desire whatsoever, anymore to want/use a mac!

When I was shackeld by windoze,
and really wanted a mac,

but now that I know what ive been missing,

screw a mac, or windows OS. lol

I'm a PC, and windoze was NOT my idea.
but UBUNTU was! lol

close the windows..

open some doors! woot! o/

GIMP is also very easy and quite intuitive now that i have gotten the hang of it.
Im still learning it, but im truly beginning to like it more than i ever liked photoshop.

Awhile back I did test out PS7 under WINE in Ubuntu, and it workd great.
But I dont need it anymore.

Nothin but Linux apps from now on mates. lol

Here are some things i made in GIMP recently.
rasa13.deviantart.com...
mostly Ubuntu related. lol

edit on 15-9-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
Thanks for the info. How does it compare to windows and what programs are compatible with it?

it blows windows away by light years.

No antivirus crap,
no viruses,
no SLOWness,
no taking ages to shut down and start up.
My ubuntu boots up entirely in less than 15 seconds, (closer to 10)
and shuts down in about 7 seconds.
not ten minutes and 7 minutes, like windoze. lol

the updates are not intrusive like windows,
and they do not DEMAND that you do them, and install useless, unknown crap on your PC,

I dunno, I could keep listing and listing,
and really still couldnt say enough good about Ubuntu.

its amazing.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Yes I've tried ubuntu, and it was a very disappointing experience. I still have it on one partition, it will take a week of searching and trying to change things in the files to get my screen resolution working, not to mention I don't understand why its so difficult to get the codex working when they're legal for home use.

I recommend linux to everyone, its the only OS I use, and winblows is only suitable for a game platform, but linux would too if they made good games for it. Its not that it wont play the games its that they deliberately make them hard to play and only with wine for some of them. Of course we have some of them working with wine.

I recommend Pclinuxos, and mepis. I always keep the latest ones of each on hand. If I replace my monitor, I don't to spend long research and countless hours getting my resolution perfect, but one of the two always work. Hardware, monitors, excellent programs, and the drivers for watching videos and dvds, which are critical.

When people recommend ubuntu to those who havnt tried linux they are recommending a nightmare for most people, hard to set up, and not the easiest to use, it takes countless hours.

I always considered ubuntu to be deliberatley made like this to discourage people from choosing linux and its promoted by a very wealthy businessman. This wasnt by accident.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Yes I've tried ubuntu, and it was a very disappointing experience. I still have it on one partition, it will take a week of searching and trying to change things in the files to get my screen resolution working, not to mention I don't understand why its so difficult to get the codex working when they're legal for home use.

I recommend linux to everyone, its the only OS I use, and winblows is only suitable for a game platform, but linux would too if they made good games for it. Its not that it wont play the games its that they deliberately make them hard to play and only with wine for some of them. Of course we have some of them working with wine.

I recommend Pclinuxos, and mepis. I always keep the latest ones of each on hand. If I replace my monitor, I don't to spend long research and countless hours getting my resolution perfect, but one of the two always work. Hardware, monitors, excellent programs, and the drivers for watching videos and dvds, which are critical.

When people recommend ubuntu to those who havnt tried linux they are recommending a nightmare for most people, hard to set up, and not the easiest to use, it takes countless hours.

I always considered ubuntu to be deliberatley made like this to discourage people from choosing linux and its promoted by a very wealthy businessman. This wasnt by accident.

Dude, You need to do one simple thing to get any codecs you could need.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

that's it, in terminal.

and you'll be set.

Ubuntu is the only linux ive ver used..
and it did not take hours to set up, install, or to do anything else.

That is old, useless FUD.

And you say you know linux? but can't use Ubuntu?
Seriously?

Countless hours?
wtf?

not a chance, unless one is totally clueless (which I pretty much was 9 months ago,)
but even i had no issues at all!

If you simply read a little about what you should do first,
and are able to comprehend it,
there should be no issues at all.

Nightmare?
what the hell?

all my years of running and setting up windows machines was a nightmare,

Me, being a complete linux noob,
upon first getting the Ubuntu CD in the mail,
had Ubuntu running perfectly, within an hour, at most. .. was no nightmare. lol

Stop spreading FUD homie.

Also,
My parents, their friends, and the children related to them have been using Ubuntu for some months now,
I set them all up with it,
and they love it! haha,
Dont know what your prob. is.

But they have no problems, at all.
Quite a few of them elderly folks.

Anyone reading, pay no mind to this dudes post here,
it is far from the truth. lol

Ive never used an easier OS in my life.
nor have i ever seen one so easy to set up. lol

edit on 15-9-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Ahmose your dead right, I'm no expert and found Ubuntu extremely easy to install and also very user friendly, I'm loving it more every day

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by chupa-chups
Ahmose your dead right, I'm no expert and found Ubuntu extremely easy to install and also very user friendly, I'm loving it more every day

Definitely. , Thanks mate.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Its actually that good and easy I feel a little vunerable
....spent a whole night searching forums etc to make sure I dont need any Anti Virus.....got the firewall running but with windoze I used to do weekly AV,Anti-malware,
spyware checks so now I've got more time to come here and talk cr*p

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What utter propaganda the windows bashers here!

I have not had a firewall or antivirus since windows xp sp2, and never have had a virus after it either.

Windows 7 is properly fast, faster than ubuntu 10.4? i have on my other partition.

I have not used ubuntu much since i installed it since everything works on windows, only few things work on linux.

That being said, why do i have it installed? I am a deep admirer of open source!

Some generations yet to go, then i think ubuntu starts to be ready for mainstream. Don't get me wrong, windows 7 is a great os, but opensource all the way baby! And yeah, the windows emulation of wine should be improved by some orders of magnitude.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have Ubuntu dual booting with Windows 7 on my HP laptop. Wonder if I should take the risk and dual boot it on my Macbook Pro....

I've read over some installation documents on how to do it. Seems a little extra effort has to be done to get it installed correctly.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Why would you want to do this? What is the benefit especially since you already have the option available to you on another computer? Are you simply curious how it works? No judgment, just genuine curiosity.

I originally intended to dual boot Mint8 with Vista (now a year ago) when I decided to give Linux a go, but something went wrong in the process and I ended up over-writing Vista. Initially, I freaked out as I wanted that familiar back-up (just in case) but have since, never regretted it and Mint9 is even better... However, like you I am also considering adding Win7 since I currently have free-access via my dept. and figured, why not? I have not pursued this yet, but every now and again, think about it...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

More of geek factor than anything else I guess, plus I use my Macbook Pro more since it's smaller 13.3 inch screen compared to my 17 inch HP laptop screen. It's more portable.

But I can see your point. I might not monkey around with it since I'm more familiar with how to fix a PC fubar rather than a Mac one lol. I've been using PCs since '95 I bought my first Mac this year and have had it for a few months. It's nice but expensive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join