It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New drug-resistant superbugs found in 3 states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

An infectious-disease nightmare is unfolding: A new gene that can turn many types of bacteria into superbugs resistant to nearly all antibiotics has sickened people in three states and is popping up all over the world, health officials reported Monday.

The U.S. cases and two others in Canada all involve people who had recently received medical care in India, where the problem is widespread. A British medical journal revealed the risk last month in an article describing dozens of cases in Britain in people who had gone to India for medical procedures.

How many deaths the gene may have caused is unknown; there is no central tracking of such cases. So far, the gene has mostly been found in bacteria that cause gut or urinary infections.

This sounds terrible. I will not overreact though, but what makes this stand out from the whole Swine Flu fiasco is that they are actually telling not to use more medicine than necessary. That is the only thing that scares me about this.

Opinions???

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
They said the same exact thing about MRSA, and only a couple people died from it. No need to panic.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Uhm, I don't know where you get your information, but 19,000 people died from MRSA world wide last year.
There is no need to panic but major need to be very concerned.

This is very different than a super bacteria such as MRSA. This is a gene/bacteria. Let's say you have a MRSA infection then you contract NDM-1 gene. That new bacteria has now invaded your system and has the ability to mutate into any bacteria it chooses. Bring on an E.Coli infection, how about some strep and a serious respiratory bacteria called pseudomonasss. You are completely a mess and at it's mercy.

As it mutates it becomes more resistant to antibiotics, it strengthens. As of now there is only one antibiotic to treat NDM-1 but it is hit or miss with that. Very toxic antibiotic as well. So as of now there is nothing to make you better. This bug will ravage your system! Very alarming news!

Kindly,
Pax

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
How many times can they cry wolf and people still believe it? I can already bet that it is going to go something like this:

Alas, we finally found pharma-treatment that will beat this bug and the government's of the world need to purchase it asap. "If you think about it too long, it will be too late and everyone will die".

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Bacteria cant become resistant to colloidal silver. Silver was used long before the more profitable antibiotics. I am not going to provide a long diatribe about the effectiveness of silver or spend post after post debunking the debunkers. Just do your own research and don't believe all the hype (for) or scare tactics (against) the truth lies somewhere between.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

I agree with you 100% on the wonders of silver! However, this is very different in its structure, it is a gene/bacteria
in other words a bacteria that attaches to the genes and mutates again and again. We have not ever dealt with anything such as this type of microbe before. Totally new territory, so no one can predict the outcome of this. Not hype, backed up by fact. We are in for a rude awakening.

Kindly,
Pax

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. By "hype or scare tactics" I was referring to the arguments for or against silver specifically not the story concerning the bacteria.

new topics

top topics

join