It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Stop Rebuilding Haiti: Just 2 percent of quake debris in Haiti removed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hey, remember when the US was real nice and decided to help rebuild Haiti? Well they only cleared 2 percent of the quake debris.

news.yahoo.com...

the Interim Haiti Recovery Commission — created after the earthquake to coordinate billions of dollars in aid — has approved a $17 million plan to clear rubble from six neighborhoods in Port-au-Prince.

Projects funded by USAID and the U.S. Department of Defense have spent more than $98.5 million to remove 1.2 million cubic yards of rubble.

At first I was wondering if Haiti was "saved" as some sort of military base close to Cuba, even though there is already Guantanamo, Bay, but now it seems clear that perhaps the plan was not to rebuild Haiti but to prevent it from being built, because

Government officials and outside aid groups say rubble removal is the priority before Haiti can rebuild. But the reasons why so little has been cleared are complex. And frustrating.

I just hope Haitians decide to let themselves fix their problems, and not the benevolent USA. They would be better off with Wyclef.

edit on 12-9-2010 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Why blame the US for the slow pace of rubble removal? Haiti is a autonomous nation is it not??

Strode, who coordinated the removal of nearly 290,000 cubic yards of material in three months, said a major obstacle to demolishing buildings has been the lack of property records, which either were destroyed in the quake or never existed at all.

yahoo

So the book keeping of Haiti makes it the US fault the rebuilding is going so slow? I am surprised myself it was this slow but there are issues that are slowing it up. I'd say its a good thing not to mix human remains up w/the debris or to just roll up on some ones property and start removing rubble. Sounds like all the work needs to be heavily coordinated.

edit on 12-9-2010 by hangedman13 because: Extra thought

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Why blame USA because the Haitians don't know how to govern themselves or organize themselves so they can help themselves? Their country was a primitive hole before the quake...and even more-so now...USA gave them people and funds...if USA did more, then folks would be screaming we were trying to "occupy" their nation and take over.

We're damned if we do and damned if we dont...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
according to this ap report, not a cent of the 1.15 billion US aid has arrived, and the money has been sidelined by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) because of a $5 million provision he considers wasteful.

news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

join