It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Practicing spirituality for the blind/def/mute?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I am curious about how i would go about taking part in spirituality if i had a handicap such as being blind, or def, or mute? Rather then using visualization as a tool, what is a blind person to do? The reason i ask this is because i want to go outside the box with my tools of experience and i understand how important it is for most people to be able to visualize. Typically i find that everyone experiences themselves through tools based upon human experience.

Does anyone here have any experience with this, or understand what i am talking about?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Noone knows any practicing blind people!??

Come on someone has to know someone.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I find your question very interesting. My father is blind and he is an atheist or agnostic, not really sure. He hates talking about any spirituality issues. However he did ask me to take him to church a little while back but it was because he was reminiscing about his childhood church, which is where he wanted me to take him. He has not been blind since birth though, and he does rarely still dream sight dreams (as opposed to dreams where he only experiences the dream as he experiences life). So visualization techniques would work for him I think. But if a person was blind from birth, I wonder if they might start seeing past life images if they did other spiritual work to open them up to it. Hmm...

The way he was blinded was by a car accident, he actually died briefly. He says that whole white light, bliss, tunnel thing is not true, he says he experienced nothing. I don't know what he thought of spirituality when he died, so I don't know if that affected his vision, or lack of vision in his NDE.

I don't know of deaf or mute people though. I am very interested in other responses to this thread.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Ellie Sagan because: to clarify something

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

You are hitting the nail on the head with your response. Thanks for helping me delve further into the topic. I am surprised there hasnt been more of a response as this could be relavent for a lot of reasons when concerning what people go through spiritually without vision or something else.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
I am curious about how i would go about taking part in spirituality if i had a handicap such as being blind, or def, or mute? Rather then using visualization as a tool, what is a blind person to do? The reason i ask this is because i want to go outside the box with my tools of experience and i understand how important it is for most people to be able to visualize. Typically i find that everyone experiences themselves through tools based upon human experience.

Does anyone here have any experience with this, or understand what i am talking about?

My friend,

Most people are struggling to get past those limitations which you wish to bring on yourself. Things such as sight, hearing, and speech, are those things which divide people from one another, thus slowing down the spirits journey.

If you are blind, then you do not weigh a mans appearance before you love him.
If you are deaf, then you do not judge a mans words before you love him.
If you are mute, you do not limit love to mere words, but must demonstrate it with action.

These are the things that most must overcome on their spiritual journey. Rejoice that you CAN see clearer than those with vision. Rejoice that you CAN hear with your heart. Rejoice that you CAN speak with actions which carry a stronger message than the voice ever could.

The only tool you need my friend, to move your spirit along its path, is love. Love all you can and your handicaps will be nothing.

With Love,

Your Brother

top topics

join