It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joomla basics?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hi there, I've been using Joomla! since before it was Joomla! (Mambo CMS) and I have been playing in the web since 2002 in various capacities, if you have a specific question,OP, send me a U2U. I'm not sure people are defining how Dreamweaver and Joomla are different very clearly, they are both very different types of software, one is a web development IDE (sort of, and a dead end path if you ask me) and Joomla is an Open Source web Content Management System. There's a lot to learn but I'll give you a leg up if you but ask. I like Joomla.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator
Hi there, I've been using Joomla! since before it was Joomla! (Mambo CMS) and I have been playing in the web since 2002 in various capacities, if you have a specific question,OP, send me a U2U. I'm not sure people are defining how Dreamweaver and Joomla are different very clearly, they are both very different types of software, one is a web development IDE (sort of, and a dead end path if you ask me) and Joomla is an Open Source web Content Management System. There's a lot to learn but I'll give you a leg up if you but ask. I like Joomla.

Nice reply, well done, its always a pleasure to see members helping out members.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Joomla is the way to go. I design and develop in Joomla. Joomla is in short a Framework for your website. There is a learning curve, but the easiest way to learn it. Is to read or have someone explain it to you. It consists mainly of Content or Articles. Modules what I call decoration boxes that go around the site that allow you to do various things add images, shoutboxes, polls etc. If your familiar with CSS and the layout of joomla you can easily figure it out. Just a small taste of Joomla can be found here.
It's a once you get it you got it kind of thing. In my opinion designing a site from scratch is almost pointless when you have a tool such as Joomla. The layout is there you just plug your information into it.
edit on 31-7-2011 by bftroop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

Drupal, TYPO3, Wordpress, even MOSS beats J!. please dont make the web a worse place by advocating bloated code.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Joomla! Is very awesome!

I know Joomla very well. It is very very user friendly especially if you want to waste your time finding out by using the other ones first.
You can create articles easily, insert images, etc. I have built numerous sites in Joomla, and I recommend it highly. You do need a server to put it on.
Let me know some specifics as to what you want. Of course there are PHP places that are very heavily coded, but isn't that what you want? Why settle for a static web site with no time stamp?
You as an administrator don't have to worry about PHP scripting, they have many modules that self-install by clicking the button "install module".

Joomla is your friend-Open Source!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hi OP

I have done most of my web-projects with Joomla! You are most welcome to message me as well if you need some help with setting up your website (or wamp).

I agree that it has a steep learning curve. But the end-results are so worth it!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I just discovered this area while looking for help on something else and thought I'd toss my two cents in. I've been using Joomla for quite some time and swear by it. It's BIG for a footprint on a host drive as a site grows and develops, but it's the best framework for the ability to build a site in any direction out there. Other CMS's are better for one purpose or another, but Joomla is the swiss army knife that does just about everything, if not the BEST at it. The selection of free extensions or what other s/w calls scripts are varied and solid for community reviews and general support.

Lynda.com is probably the best suggestion I can make for someone wanting or needing to become functional in Joomla in a short time. They offer very lengthy video courses in video clips of a minute to a few minutes, teaching each step. It makes it quick and easy..for a basic level.

Joomla templates are easy, but not free. I use Artisteer as the base for template creation with a built in fit for Joomla sites. Dreamweaver is a design package that looks interesting for making and modifying templates, but I'm still learning it....no opinion there. Artisteer is wyswig though and runs $49 for the home edition. For using Joomla sites, it makes custom template design realistic and very quick.

I'm just the opposite of you. I've become so good with Joomla and website infrastructure design/creation, I could do it in my sleep or by memory. At the same time, I couldn't design a sign for a lemonade stand and make it look good.
One without the other sure doesn't work well. College is solving my side....and Joomla is a quick way to solve it for someone weak on infrastructure creation.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serpent of Arabia
Joomla itself isn't very user friendly. The code backend is a complex mess. Template design isn't very easy either.

There are probably tons of tutorials out there on Joomla.

Let me know if you're interested in hiring a template designer. I can translate images of how a template should look (i.e. a scan of a mockup of the template design from a customer) into an actual working template design. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but who knows, I could use the money, and you could use the help?

Years ago Joomla was relatively simple to use and anyone with even basic knowledge of how to use a computer could have setup a website using Joomla.
I recently tried using the latest version of Joomla, and it's an absolute mess.
I could not makes head or tails of it.
Wordpress is no better either. And I do not mean the free blog site version, I mean the script that comes with most decent web hosts. My host has both of these programs, but they are a nightmare to use.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Don't even waste another minute of your time. WORDPRESS all the way!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Joomla is not a user friendly CMS that your going to have any sort of an easy time with. Much better to check out some themes for wordpress since your cash is limited and go that route with a design that looks pretty nice. Always focus on content and rank, worry about converting browsers to clients after you get to the first page for your keyword in Google.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator

I think you should start a thread running through the basics of using Joomla.

Like a how to guide that simplifies it and makes it as easy as possible for new comers to pick it up and use it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join