It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euthanasia TV ad banned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Euthanasia TV ad banned

news.ninemsn.com.au

A controversial pro-euthanasia television ad, which was to air on Sunday night, has been banned.

The ad's creator, lobby group Exit International, says the ban is a violation of free speech and they will try with a different version within days.

The ad shows an ill-looking actor sitting on a bed in his pyjamas.

He reflects on the choices he has made throughout his life, then says he did not choose to be terminally ill.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I personally believe that the gov't will eventually backflip on this like heroin injecting houses and set up a program for this. I cant help but picture the scenario similar to that charles heston movie soilent green where his friend does choose to be euthanised. I dont think it should be legalised but at the end, maybe not now but in the near future these will exist and I can see discussion occurring on boards like this (if the internet isnt cencored) how it helps the economy as its a mechanism of population control.

Before I begin to flamed for being against it, thats my belief and others may feel if they are terminally ill they have the choice. I think its a controversial issue and will cause controvery whether it is implemented one day, or not.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-9-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Oooh..tricky one.

I don't see why they haven't made it legal yet, honestly. I mean hospitals are easing patients out everyday with all the morphine and dilaudid. I can see how people would be against it, obviously, but I think people should have the choice, honestly. It's their body, yes?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Imagine being one of those doctors killing people all day......how depressing ...who the hell would want to do that? no one normal thats for sure.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

Imagine being one of those Doctors/nurses who see all those terminally ill patients suffering day in, day out.

All these people want is to die and end the pain, if it's what they want, then let them have it I say.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I said peopel should have a choice but I also asked what kind of weirdo would want to kill people all day

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
So not only are we refused the fundamental choice, we are now not even allowed to be told about it.

I despise the self righteous religious fruitcakes who condemn this, the politicians who only care for popularity among their faithful voters and the utter morons who allow this to happen.

GOD DAMN THEM ALL.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

Oops I must have deleted it out, my mistake lol. But yes people should have the choice.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

I said peopel should have a choice but I also asked what kind of weirdo would want to kill people all day

Who is killing people all day? What the hell are you on about?

Do you even know?

christ almighty....

[edit foobared tags]

edit on 12/9/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I must have left it out of my post but yes I agree people should have the choice.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
If abortion can be legal so should self-euthansia, not to be confused with suicide.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
what about the youth in asia?
is this thread about nike?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
How much funding will governments give old-folks' homes once euthanasia is legal?

How will sick, elderly people be treated who want medical care when other oldies are conveniently offing themselves and costing the community nothing?

Yes, euthanasia should be legal. But first we need a caring social structure, not one that denies help to those in trouble or says, "don't feed the poor, it only encourages them to breed". We need a return to the ethics of judging a society by the way it treats its needy. We need a government we can trust.

edit on 12/9/10 by Kailassa because: editing is such fun

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
How much funding will governments give old-folks' homes once euthanasia is legal?

How will sick, elderly people be treated who want medical care when other oldies are conveniently offing themselves and costing the community nothing?

Yes, euthania should be legal. But first we need a caring social structure, not one that denies help to those in trouble or says, "don't feed the poor, it only encourages them to breed". We need a return to the ethics of judging a society by the way it treats its needy. We need a government we can trust.

I totally agree..once they know we have the option of dying they will reduce health care and some how indirectly suggest it. Before we know it, to die will always seems like the better option. I think if they are to do something like this they need a system of checks and balance to ensure those who want to live arent just left to die.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Important topic. S&F.

...So if euthanasia is legalized, do only the terminally ill qualify?

What about the terminally incompetent? ...Or the terminally poverty-stricken?

Can legal guardians of the terminally ill, incompetent or poverty-stricken make the decision?

If the patient or guardian does not make the "Right" choice, can the state intervene and mandate euthanasia?

Should state intervention occur on a case-by-case basis, or should there be general legislation?

People who want to commit suicide already can -and do- commit suicide. Without pro-euthanasia laws.

Where there's a will, there's always a way. ...For example, cancer patients plan ahead, and save up meds so they can overdose when the going gets too rough.

True, sometimes people want to make the choice, but prefer that someone else take responsibility for the action. So in many cases, doctors and nurses euthanize by over-drugging and hastening death by dehydration - sometimes that's the patient's wish, sometimes it may not be.

But obviously, we don't need legislation to to make suicide possible. ...So why make it law? Unless the real goal is to remove personal choice along with personal responsibility.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Or perhaps to tax it...I can imagine the logo now ...''die humanely and in a controlled environment with your family (now only $xxxxxx)''.

Starting to remind me of the suicide booths in futurama. Its a very very controversial issue, and I think it may give power to the state to euthanise people like pets, where its deemed its no longer worth having them live. Reality is, we will never stop suicide, rather then education and help, we are resulting to a controlled environment instead. I understand some say its a choice, but a life is a terrible thing to waste.

top topics

join