It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pepper spray for personal defense

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I see more than several brands of pepper spray advertised.

I have looked at manufacturers web sites, youtube videos, and reviews by different groups and people.

I see different strengths for various sprays. Does this really matter?

Anyone have any practical experience with this product. I had mace and teargas training years ago, quite frankly, before pepper spray was invented.

Forget cost, this is for family member protection.

I have no problem with killing anyone breaking into my house, but a less lethal means may be something to consider as a first option.

I need thoughts and opinions.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I buy my wife that spray that foams on there face and has a dye in it. I saw pictures of the foam clumping on a dummy face. So I guess that just makes me feel my wife is more protected.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rakkasansct

That's pretty cool because then people would see the dye and suspect what it was from. Put a few articles on the Internet about the dye and how it stains the skin and hey presto spot the rapist. It would be subject to abuse but then so is everything...

I made my girlfriend her own spray to use. She works night shift at a hospital occasionally and the car park is a good distance from the main unit. Anyway so I crushed up some fresh onion, madras curry powder, actual pepper corns, and lemon juice, then strained it and put it in a small foot spray container. When sprayed the nozzle shoots the concoction about 5 feet. I have never put it in my eye so I can't vouch for the effectiveness.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

best thing to use is chilli namely this one in this link or grow your own

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There are indeed a great number of types, brands and strenths on the market. I got a magazine from the store about Personal Defense and was amazed at the items that are now available.

The first thing, is make sure she will/can use it. If the container is too big for her to hold or to have on hand at all times, there may be no point in having it. Keyrings designs are great here, but their capacities are lacking.

I have seen the type being discussed here with the dye and its a winner from what I've read. You definatly know that you have hit the target.

Get a few canisters of whatever you do deside upon and practice. One of the most forgotten things of mace and the like, is practice. Yet, we will crowd the range to better our weapon skills.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rakkasansct

Stuff is called dye witness.
Good stuff as it does leave an identifier.
As for home grown stuff, just don't try to defend yourself in Kalifornia and I'm sure other states.
As the stuff that is on the market has been tested and approved by some board of something.
Homegrown has not and may be seen as cruel and unusual, so you might as well give your house and belongings to your rapist.
Personally if someone cares to bother me or mine in any manner that brute force may come into play, they have already decided you are not worthy of life.
I would give them the same courtesy, and it makes it harder for them to be a witness.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
If you want a spray that is to be kept at home, I would suggest Bear Mace. Otherwise, there are several brands on the market that fit neatly into the pocket or handbag. I prefer the gel types that actually adhere to the target and contain a high level of CS.

I have tried this brand, on myself, and it had the desired results and persisted for about 15 minutes. More than ample time to make your escape.

I hope this helps.

edit on 15/9/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: As usual, this post was edited due to the pathetic spelling skillls of The Lone Archer.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
All I know is if the shoe was on the other foot and an attacker used pepper spray on me it would just slow me down and piss me off. In other words, I wouldn't put much faith in is against a determined predator. A small handgun like a .380 would be much more potent. If you live in a state that has strict gun laws...move. Sorry, just feel like protecting your family and yourself is the most important priority.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
As a police officer I have to suggest O.C. over mace and CS... It acts faster, has a longer effect and affects the skin, eyes, and breathing all at once...

We use MKIII Defense in my PD... Most US PDs use Saber Red which is the strongest available on the market.

OC burns like hell, make you cough ESPECIALLY if used in a closed area, and will burn for at least 45 minutes... There is no way the guy (or gal) is going anywhere for a while... I'd get tasered 5 times before getting the OC again!!!

As an alternative, you can use pretty much anything that uses alcohol, perfumes, etc... THEY ALSO BURN LIKE HELL!!!

Hope this helps!

Magnum

P.S. I suggest the oil based OC (instead of alcohol or water based solutions) as it does not freeze and stays on the skin longer!

edit on 10/9/15 by Magnum007 because: Add the types of OC

edit on 10/9/15 by Magnum007 because: Bad Grammar

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Whatever you get, test fire it a few times.

It doesn't take much more than a spritz or a small mist of the stuff I've used in your face to incapacitate you, and you'll need to know exactly how to use it without taking yourself down along with the attacker...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

100% agree!

Pepperspray is for mailmen and only good for small dogs.

I have pepper sprayed myself and friends many times. It is irritating, but even without the fight or flight instinct or hormonal rage or adrenaline from a fight, even without those things, the pepper spray is only irritating. It is not disabling, it would not even buy you a second to escape.

Better off to take a self-defense class, or buy a gun. Don't put your life in the hands of something that some people use for fun!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Just out of personal experience...thus this experience being with humans..."union picket line"...

I found the most usefull thing ever....a $.99cent squirt gun filled with skunk cover scent or shunk stuff......
You hit them between the eyes they can't see or breath...very very affective ..and a whole lot less obvious , than a pressurized can....I can only imagine a super soaker type water cannon...full of "use your imagination"...

Pepper spray....unless you get the kind with dye ...so you can prosecute the attacker....I preferr, utter profound stink and humiliation...best detourant known...IMO

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Thanks for your response, and to the OP for the thread.
I have considered getting some type apparatus for protection, one at home, and one for keeping in the car.
This gives me some ideas.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'm going to echo Magnum's recommendation, but add to carry a stun gun. My wife carries one with a million volts, that looks just like a cell phone. Even the SOUND of it arcing will give you a start, let alone the jolt itself.

My friends and I have even tested it (never test one alone, someone may have to call 911!), and man, you go down for the count quick.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I carry the bear repellent.

Its hard to hit someone in the face with those wimpy self defence pepper spray cans.(i do carry a old self defence pepper spray can to show the cops when they get there. i would never show the cops the bear repellent can. as the laws are unclear.)

And if they shield there face with there arm/s they may not get it in there eyes.

With the bear repellent a 1/2 second spray and they are i a cloud from head to foot.
I used the bear repellent on a hispanic kid that i caught breaking into my truck.
The cops caught him down the street using a garden hose trying to wash the pepper spray from his body.
The cops had to roll all the window down on the patrol car to drive the kid to the station as he was covered from head to foot.(understood they had the fire department hose the kid down at the station.)
and the kid as hurting.

And if i am in my car i have a backup of a 50,000 volt cattle prod to hold them till the cops show up.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Well, you mean business! I really just want to disable someone long enough to run away.

Does that stuff blow back on the person using it?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I have always had a pet peeve about the apparent willingness of people to kill over mere personal property.

That is besides the point though. A major thing you have to watch out for with pepper spray is the wind. Make sure you are going to hit your opponent and not yourself. I know this from being in "friendly fire" situations. It is not fun.

If someone is after you for a reason or incredibly determined pepper spray will only stall them. Most assailants though, are only after a quick and easy dollar. If you offer resistance chances are they will run away quickly.

Most people have this crazy fear inside them about attackers. The reality is that most criminals are only after a fast and easy way out. When you offer serious defensive resistance most of them will back off before you even realize that it is over.

This principle is essentially what the pepper spray for personal defense community is all about.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Any legal ways of defending yourself like this in the uk?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Haha, isn't everything illegal in the UK?

On a more serious note: isn't everything illegal in the UK?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
really though, I dont really believe that everything is legal in the UK, but there does seem to be loopholes in everything that can always somehow give them justification to criminalize you or your actions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join