It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Extends Bush’s 9/11 State of Emergency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

In a letter issued to the heads of Congress today, President Barack Obama announced yet another one year extension of a State of National Emergency which has been going on in the United States since September 14, 2001. This means that as of Tuesday America will officially be entering its tenth year at an emergency posture them seems destined to last pretty much forever.

Established in 1976, the National Emergencies Act grants certain powers (established in Title 50 Chapter 34 of the United States legal code) to the president during times of emergency. Amongst the law’s primary purposes was to prevent a US president from creating an open-ended state of emergency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: news.antiwar.com...

Again, Obama extends Bush's State of Emergency, giving him certain executive powers, outside of Congressional control. Every year, we see the President, whether it be Bush or Obama, extend this State of Emergency and why wouldn't they, it makes them more powerful and in halts the processes of our Democratic Republic (in ways). Now, it appears as if we will stay in this State of Emergency indefinitely and the powers of the President have been transformed, for the worse.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Old boss looks like the new one eh?

I wonder how much longer this crap will go on

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Old boss looks like the new one eh?

I wonder how much longer this crap will go on

*que sandlot reference*

Fooorrr-evvv-errrrr....

Forrrr-evvvv-errrr....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I'm guessing till 2012. The magic number!!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

edit on 11-9-2010 by dgtempe because: sorry

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Its just like all the "temporary" Taxes they put in place..

Is it just a case of Obama extending or does he need congress approval??

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

He does not need the approval of congress, as scary as that it, though in the end it wouldn't matter anyway as the congress are all lackies anyway.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

See now thats scary..because, why would any president now want to give up extra powers??

I've never heard of a polly that didn't crave more and more power..

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
"Established in 1976, the National Emergencies Act grants certain powers (established in Title 50 Chapter 34 of the United States legal code) to the president during times of emergency. Amongst the law’s primary purposes was to prevent a US president from creating an open-ended state of emergency."

Bangs head against wall for satisfaction...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Amongst the law’s primary purposes was to prevent a US president from creating an open-ended state of emergency."

Bangs head against wall for satisfaction...

No, he needs to renew it yearly. just like my Drivers Licence that I have now had for over 30 years,

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I wouldn't hold my breath on a joint resolution.

(b) Termination review of national emergencies by Congress

Not later than six months after a national emergency is declared, and not later than the end of each six-month period thereafter that such emergency continues, each House of Congress shall meet to consider a vote on a joint resolution to determine whether that emergency shall be terminated.
www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
He has done the same with annual extension of the "un-Patriot Act" too...like a good puppet.

new topics

top topics

join