It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest man, then give him bike

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Police arrest man, then give him bike

www.cnn.com

Police officers in central Taiwan arrested a man for stealing a bicycle this week and originally planned to lock him up for theft charges.

However, the police later discovered that the man was so poor that they not only did not prosecute him but instead decided to donate a bike to him.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

According to police officers in central Taiwan's Chiayi County, the man stole the bicycle from a high school near his home in order to help save his daughter time in walking from her vocational school to the hospital.

His daughter usually walked 10 kilometers (6 miles) to take care of him in the hospital. The man has often been ill and has had to be hospitalized, police said.

Police said that the man originally told his daughter that he had bought the bicycle second-hand.

However, later the former owner of the bike recognized it. Both father and daughter were taken in by the police.

Police officers learned that the man was living in desperate conditions, with no access to water or electricity and was living in an empty shipping container beside a graveyard.

Chiayi police officers not only did not press charges against the old man but jointly bought a new bike for the girl.

This story show us the sad modern reality we live in .. the poor conditions that certain peoples live in today are awfull
This story also show hopes in humanity that good can prevail
its these stories that need to be put on the media loop front pages NOT TERRY JONES :bnghd:

thats why we need to avoid the sentiment of jalousy coming from greed..
if you think someone have something you dont have .. think again ... about what people dont have compare to YOURSELF

Those police officers were very kind ..
its these good actions that will save humanity ..
thumbs up to the Taiwanese peace officers

nice to see some compassion sometimes

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/11/2010 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Good news doesn't sell in the media which is why stories like this get pushed away.

The media prefers to sell headlines based on fear, terror, death and destruction than heart warming stories like this and it's part and parcel why the world IS such a craphole today. If people are constantly being fed stories about the horrors of the world they become conditioned to believe the world is full of horror which leads to many commiting horrific acts.

I lost hope in humanity years ago but stories like this still bring a smile to my face and make me acknowledge that not everyone is a desensitised drone lapping up the terror and fear the media portrays!

Thanks for posting the story

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Why is it that we can find great stories about police kindness from that horrible communist despotism that is China but, the only stories we can find about the police here in the US are the ones where they taze an old lady or shoot someone who asked for directions?

Makes you wonder which country really is the most despotic.

Either that or the US police need to get a new PR agent.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I think that man has a glamorous existence...living in an empty shipping container next to a graveyard...put a bunch of graffitti on the walls, urinate into jars...it would be too cool, all my friends would want to come over because it was so downmarket...yup...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Don't be confused. Taiwan is the Republic of China, not The People's Republic of China (Real China)

The two are separate entities as far I can tell from the wiki information

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Before I speak my mind, I do think getting this man a bike was a good idea and was the right thing to do.
I live in a similar situation, though a lot less in china and a lot more in the US, and the most I could hope for from the police is to walk away without a beating or with all of my things.
Not that all cops are bad guys, just that quite a few are.

What bothers me the most is that this is such a rare occurrence that CNN is reporting it.
Edit: i didn't think the above through or, somehow, read the whole story before posting.

We live in very interesting times.

edit on 9/11/2010 by Lulzor because: editing edits

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is interesting indeed. It brings up that age old question:

If you're poor and homeless, and steal bread to feed your wife/kids is it wrong?
Technically it is wrong, but there's more to it than that. If I were homeless and had to feed my wife and kids, would I steal? Sitting here now, I'm a law abiding citizen. I stole a candy bar once when I was 3, that is perhaps the biggest crime I've ever done. I've driven after having one beer when I was 18, so theres a crime again.(since you technically cant have any alcohol when you drive if you're under 21) But aside from that, I've never done anything. Which brings me to my point, would I steal for my family or for myself if it came to that? I sit here and say to myself 'no, stealing is wrong' but maybe I would. You have to put yourself in someone elses shoes before you judge them. This person was so poor he needed to get around, so I can sympathize with that part. On the other hand, the redneck conservative in me
says that it's wrong and he should be punished to the fullest extent of law. It's a really interesting thing to think about actually. And the hippy liberal in me says 'he learned his lesson, he has a bike so he's okay now'. But thats not the point, the point really is, how did this man come to such a situation? What can be done to improve it? Can it improve? Is this man physicallly, emotionally ok? This little subject opens up a world of answers and questions.

I'll probably never know the answers myself, and there will always be questions that need answers.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Wow what a nice bunch of cops, Now if US police showed 1/16 that much heart....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Who cares? We're humans, we wan't only bad news.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American
Wow what a nice bunch of cops, Now if US police showed 1/16 that much heart....

nah there is a bunch of good cops in US and Canada
but Police officer arresting somebody after a stolen bike and then give him a new one

i would like some stories about a similar compassion act from US or Canada cops
im sure there is some awesome stories to
but this one is incredible.. all cops should have the same compassion

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

This incident took place in Taiwan, not China. Taiwan is an independent, non-communist country.

edit on 11-9-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

This incident took place in Taiwan, not China. Taiwan is an independent, non-communist country.

D'oh!

Looks like I need a refresher course in geography.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Who cares? We're humans, we wan't only bad news.

Because humans likes bad news all the time .. its action for them .. psyco-adrenaline
other news than that are boring and the news papers compagnies wont be able to sell it.. and they know that

these police officers have showed more compassion than many others in their entire lifes would show or even think of

edit on 9/11/2010 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

That was what I was thinking. If that had happened in the US he would have got jail time if not shoot down by the SWAT team.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Great thread and topic big thumbs
. I love feel good stories and this is a perfect example. Why dont the cops just keep the peace? It is about money and power. They pick and teach aggressiveness. And then wonder why bad things happen.

Cops are people to and I believe would rather show compassion. But are stuck in many cases to have to act. We need to break down these walls that bind them so we can have true peace keepers again.

Also we need to stick behind them when they do have incidents with truly bad people. Because when we dont they become alienated and lump everyone together.

I know that cops get alot of heat on ATS. Just remember they have a tough job and are people to. They are not the system and have no say in what the system does they are just the messenger of it. They have families just like you and me.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm going to Taiwan to steal me one of these and deliberately get caught

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/117475706cba.jpg[/atsimg]

After all I'm too poor to afford one so the same rules should apply

Just joking, I'm glad the police gave him a bike, does it say how many gears it had?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Happens to us all sometimes.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Why is it that we can find great stories about police kindness from that horrible communist despotism that is China but, the only stories we can find about the police here in the US are the ones where they taze an old lady or shoot someone who asked for directions?

There are plenty of stories about cops as heroes. But that is what we pay them for....to serve and protect.
The reason that it's news when cops violate their trust is because they are and should be held to a higher standard.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by Ben81

Great thread and topic big thumbs
. I love feel good stories and this is a perfect example. Why dont the cops just keep the peace? It is about money and power. They pick and teach aggressiveness. And then wonder why bad things happen.
Cops are people to and I believe would rather show compassion. But are stuck in many cases to have to act. We need to break down these walls that bind them so we can have true peace keepers again.
Also we need to stick behind them when they do have incidents with truly bad people. Because when we dont they become alienated and lump everyone together.
I know that cops get alot of heat on ATS. Just remember they have a tough job and are people to. They are not the system and have no say in what the system does they are just the messenger of it. They have families just like you and me.

Thanks.. i simply had to thread about this cool news that was tossed aside by CNN (why wasnt on the front page..?) they only front page about bad news, political news and hollywood gossip news
it made my day reading this compassion good gesture act from law officers

the reasons why these cops did this is ..
they are feeling egual to the population that they have to protect
im sure they will never abuse their roles of police officer that represent the people and government officials
they will applic the law and the common sense together
you add to this humanity and dignity and you have the Good futur cops of my world
like those Taiwanese officers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join