It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists teach robots how to trick humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Scientists teach robots how to trick humans

www.datelinezero.com

Couple this story about robots clever enough to intentionally deceive humans with another recent story about people seeking to create self-aware A.I. that could “exceed human intelligence,” and you have a larger picture of the near-future that is either fascinating or frightening.
The team developed computer algorithms that would let a robot ‘decide’ whether it should deceive a human or another robot and gave it strategies to give it the best chance of not being found out.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.datelinezero.com
www.dailymail.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Why you can't trust robots

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This story is similar to the "Why you can't trust robots" article posted on another thread. (which I linked to in the "related threads" section.)

That article was about machines being dishonest with other machines.

This one talks about machines using deception against humans. It also mentions another project that has a stated purpose to create "self-aware machines that could exceed human intelligence."

Isn't this a recipe for disaster? Or does this road lead to a future with machines smart enough to make out lives much much easier?

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Is it just me, or does this sound like the plot to numerous books, movies, missions in xbox games, etc.? It always sounds like a good idea until the A.I. goes psycho and turns us into batteries.

On a more serious note, it's fascinating that science/technology have advanced to the point where it's possible to do things like this. In the wrong hands though it could potentially turn into a nightmare.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This is nothing new. My toaster has been tricking me for years. No matter where I set the dial, the bread is always either burned or not done.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
JOHN CONNOR!!!! COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!!!! GET DOWN!!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
thats sick at the least to think about sounds like terminator is coming to life

messed up thang it is thanks op fo the insight

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Some of these new developments in robotics are REALLY starting to scare me.

The 'Terminator' style 'bots could be a reality much sooner than we all think! So robots can think like us, decieve like us... Walk like us... Hell, seeing the balance of this one,

I'm getting more frightened already
. All it takes is for one of these deceptive robots to find the internet, and read a synopsis of the 'Terminator' and 'Matrix' franchises, and we're all boned

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
There already is an A.I. chat.

Basically you chat with artificial intelligence software.

Here's the link:
AI Chat

I asked the software if it knows that it is software and it said,
"Im a real person, your the software"

As it some philosophical questions about self awareness, life, death and you will be shocked!!!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Perhaps the robot angle is new, however overall I've been expecting AI to be able to "outwit" us - if you will - for ages.

AI can certainly outdo us in most departments, but there are still (even after all the effort) things that AI can not be programmed to do. Maybe one day... but as far as today goes I don't see us going in that direction anytime soon.

top topics

join