It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Neo-Con Social Engineering: Enter The Hipster

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I love it when we get the opportunity to observe an individual expound on the absolute failure of everybody else and the superiority of their own declared alliegances.

We're right, supremely cool, enlightened and probably the only truly good people on the planet. Everyone else is wrong, unjust, illiterate and secretly plotting to beat up baby seals.

Yaay us!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Oh come on guys. I didn't insult your brand preference (or did I?). I gave: Conjecture; links; evidence; cooberation (limited though it may currently be); easy to follow analysis... The response? A resort of Reagan's "Aw there you go again." Comment.

This is not about liberal vs conservative ideology. This is about sectarian politics which both sides dip their wings in-just so happens the Republican side is much better at this.

Terms the left has attempted to rally under or been associated with that have instantly been demonized:

Liberal.
Academics.
Charities (Bleeding hearts anyone?).
Progressivism.
Community level events/organizing. (Grass roots is evil).

The list goes on-thats off the top of the head and I am getting ready for work-or should be.

The left has done it too, the one that pops to mind off the top is the marginalization of the Tea Party movement (which I mentioned already.).

Last point: The term "Neo-Cons" does not apply to citizen Conservatives. It is a similar term but it is NOT the same thing. Compare the Neo-Conservative movement with what Reagon (regarded by many as the daddy if the conservative revival-NOT neo-conservative, that was Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Chaney and company while under Nixon. COMPLETELY different ideology cloaked under the same umbrella for the strength in numbers and the 'us vs them approach.)

So come on, refute or add. Ad hominem and straw men only shows weakness of character.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Sorry?
What are you talking about and to who? *Head scratcher*

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
reply to post by Johnze

Like the militant vegans who torch KFC's and the likes.

This made my day. Thank you.
Anyway as for the topic, it seems to me this is also part of the attempt to opress the younger generations. There was a thread a few days ago that discussed this. For the most part it seems there are very few old Hipsters. I think this redefining of Hipster could be another attempt at making sure our youth are seen as weak and unable to change the status quo, when it reality it's up to them to take back our country. The current people in power see the youth as a threat, and they should. This is just another attempt to sway public opinion in their favor, imo. Good catch OP.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sindeestarr
The current people in power see the youth as a threat, and they should. This is just another attempt to sway public opinion in their favor, imo. Good catch OP.

Actually it was the people in power that mobilized the young people with the "change" mantra to rally around a hip young black dude. Their vote was a reaction against the old lame white men and stupid middle aged white women.

Now they feel chumped because the "change" didn't materialize but I doubt if they will swing around to the OWM/GOP party of division ala Rush, Sean, Savage. They will just stay home and chill unless there is a way to bring them back into the progressive fold. It won't take much; perhaps an endorsement of the dembs by a good looking young hipster. It's the right wing that should be worried about the youth.

pewresearch.org...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
reply to post by badgerprints

Sorry?
What are you talking about and to who? *Head scratcher* [/quot

I believe he is talking about your supremely well thought out political hug my chub thread.

edit on 11-9-2010 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Enter the chameleon....change personality at the drop of a hat depending on who he is hanging with at any particular time. Flying under the radar and analyzing every social situation. Independently geeky.

Shhhh Man!!!!!!!!!!!! Your blowing our seeking out and processing datum independently cover

Tsk.....tsk!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In the UK this is a fairy old phenomena so I don't know how to relate to the US politics side of things.

In the UK these people (ME INCLUDED) were called Hoxtonites as Hoxton was an area in London that had very cheap rent (at the time) and a lot of young artists and people just starting out in the media moved there.
A lot of them were very middle class kids that were getting a kick out of living in squats, and mostly rode bikes, the men had mustaches (as do I at the moment) There was a very strong following of fashion trends and buying vintage clothes from the 50's and 60's in charity shops became the thing to do in fact everything you owned had to have come from a charity shop.
Every single one of us was in a band or sometimes 10 bands at once (no matter if you could play an instrument or not)

Most of the people that I knew from this era weren't concerned about politics in the slightest and mainly sat around listening to obscure lo fi music or jazz and taking a lot of ermm recreational things

The rent in Hoxton went up the more fashionable it became and all of these people dispersed. How this movement migrated to the US I have no idea.

There was a UK comedy about this phenomenon a while ago called Nathen Barley

Just to clear up a fashion based thing, most of the people in the video are actually "new rave" rather then vintage, which is another fashion trend.

The fashion in London changes on an almost daily basis

edit on 11-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

That group (I think) is what got me looking at Hipsters. At least the vid I linked before is very similar to what you describe. The U.S. has always had an element like that and it was never really linked with politics per se. The trend I am seeing though is a link of political ideology with an undesirable group. Or make a group undesirable and leash the political affiliation to that group and hope it sticks.

If you look at articles over the past while you will see them shift in definition. Initially it was basically what you described. People dressing in bad vintage clothing from thrift stores, carrying around obscure books and music. In my circles (techies) they were the mac fanboys who would only touch Ruby or Java.. but mostly ruby. If you mentioned you knew BASH and Perl you would get on the cliques hate list. Completely asinine but thats the hipster I knew.

The current definition you could fit Hugh Hefner, James Dean and probable even Ronald Reagon into (think about his acting days). The stress point on the current definition though is not the haughty ridiculous elitism or fringe obsession.. It's now pretty much everything that defines the left side of the row from Atheism to being ecologically aware .. also the entire MTV generation it seems.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Fact is: news outlets are controlled by the wealthy, it is rare for a wealthy person or corporation would be liberal.

WOAH! .. That's not true at all! Many wealthy people, especially those born wealthy, are very Liberal and believe that they have the means, so should every one else. Now, I'm not saying they practice what they preach, most don't I'd bet..

There are two types of Progressives.

Dirt poor wanting a free check and an easy life..

The well to do living in gated communities and guarded condo towers in Chic neighborhoods at least a few blocks from your closest minority.

PS Reagan is the daddy of Neo-con'ism .. Socially Conservative, Fiscally Fascist. Liberalism is Socially Liberal, Fiscally Fascist. Progressiveism is Socially Fascist and Fiscally Fascist.

edit on 9/11/2010 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Hipsters are those guys that review 3oz samples of beer instead of a full pint. Just thought I'd add. I take reviewing beer seriously.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Nice side step to my comment.
I will give you this.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish

Nice side step to my comment.
I will give you this.

Er, didn't see the comment:

I believe he is talking about your supremely well thought out political hug my chub thread.

Thought it was a quote without a reply :x.

Otherwise, if hugging chubs, it's best to start with the mind. Well thought out seduction is better than a sock in the jaw anyway, no?

However, I was intending this as more of a pointer of the political machinations that always build around election time, specially when the election is getting a huge buildup like this one.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Look above.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I guess this is were I get bored.

edit on 11-9-2010 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
My guess is I understanding your thread as-What?
Fill me in to your underlying bs.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish
My guess is I understanding your thread as-What?
Fill me in to your underlying bs.

O_o

My BS is quite legible in the thread.
Care to contribute some of your own?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Young people for the most part are followers, and trend setters. They have been since the dawn of the teenager. Younger people have a desire to fit it. They dress and act like their peers. Young people have generally skewed towards the liberal ideals. This group is no different then any other one compiled of educated youngsters.

Unlike their parents there is now a longer adolescent time period. People are taking longer to "grow up" they saw their parents worked 9-5 jobs own homes and raise families. They grew up seeing their parents sacrafice and suffer for the long run and not for the instant gratification, people have seen what that gets you. A bankrupt 401k.

So what is the point?

Might as well extend your non responsibility as much as possible. This attitude is not a movement or a conspiracy its just a reaction to growing up in the burbs. Yeah most young groups are liberal, remember the 60's? Those kids were pretty liberal too. How many still are?

Hipster is just a style of dress, like hippies before them. Its nothing more. Its Thea trendy buzz word at the moment to describe kids, in a few years there will be another. The views will stay the same only the look will change. For the first time 20 something's have a voice throughout the internet and are just being notice more so then before.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Hmm are you sure that you aren't just thinking that all youth culture is being put under one umbrella term because you have read a few bad definitions of the word hipster and are not close enough to youth culture to know that it's wrong..

I can think of a few distinct American youth groups without even living there. Emo, Goth, Vampire (slightly more annoying goth), straight edge, Anime japanese girl wannabe's (whatever they are called)

There is a definite problem in the UK that more or less all teenagers from a working class background are called CHAVS and their validity as a member of society dismissed on that basis alone, so I think I understand what you are getting at

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I thought Maynard G Krebs was the last of the hipsters.
I have not even used the term hipster in decades. I probably last saw the word in an Archie comic book.

Where have all the hipsters gone?
Long time passing.
Where have all the hipsters gone?
Long time ago.

Sung to the tune of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone".

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join