It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am wowed!!!Entire Epic of Gilgamesh!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Read aloud on youtube!! just amazing what a great idea and kudos to the makers of these videos they have done the world a huge favor,...okay I guess by world I mean me

anyway I really enjoyed this and I hope you do too!!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Yeah Gilgamesh influenced the story of Noah's Ark. Like the life of Sargon the Great influenced the story of Moses.
This is from the wikipedia article.

My mother was a high priestess, my father I knew not. The brothers of my father loved the hills. My city is Azupiranu, which is situated on the banks of the Euphrates. My high priestess mother conceived me, in secret she bore me. She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid. She cast me into the river which rose over me. The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water. Akki, the drawer of water, took me as his son and reared me. Akki, the drawer of water, appointed me as his gardener. While I was a gardener, Ishtar granted me her love, and for four and ... years I exercised kingship.

So much like the story of Moses.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water.

Moses.

Nice post by the way

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Yeah Gilgamesh influenced the story of Noah's Ark. Like the life of Sargon the Great influenced the story of Moses.
This is from the wikipedia article.

My mother was a high priestess, my father I knew not. The brothers of my father loved the hills. My city is Azupiranu, which is situated on the banks of the Euphrates. My high priestess mother conceived me, in secret she bore me. She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid. She cast me into the river which rose over me. The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water. Akki, the drawer of water, took me as his son and reared me. Akki, the drawer of water, appointed me as his gardener. While I was a gardener, Ishtar granted me her love, and for four and ... years I exercised kingship.

So much like the story of Moses.
en.wikipedia.org...

the same guy says he posted Sargons story to I'm looking for it

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thank you MsBlond.

I've never seen a video on topic before. I will definitely checking it out later this day.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Thank you MsBlond.

I've never seen a video on topic before. I will definitely checking it out later this day.

Sinter there are I think 11 videos ,the epic is long but soooo interesting!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Does anyone know who translated this version & when?

EDIT
I am trying to find a written version now, as just one minute of that guys accent put me right off.
Sorry to be picky.....

edit on 11-9-2010 by neil wilkes because: Additional info added

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I had to read the Epic of Gilgamesh for my Ancient History course, where were these videos then!
just kidding, it was worth the read.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

yeah, try explaining Plagerism to a bible espouser...
it occurs in almost all the important stories in the bible
.............................................................................................................
SANDF
nice post OP
thanx.
to bad the cradle ( of civilization ) was robbed first thing on entering Iraq, or prolly a lot more interesting information would be avaliable for us peeps to peruse....
ooops, can't have that though, for some reason...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

yeah, try explaining Plagerism to a bible espouser...
it occurs in almost all the important stories in the bible
.............................................................................................................
SANDF
nice post OP
thanx.
to bad the cradle ( of civilization ) was robbed first thing on entering Iraq, or prolly a lot more interesting information would be avaliable for us peeps to peruse....
ooops, can't have that though, for some reason...

you got that right but our Iraq war is just another in a long list of vultures picking this carcass it started with the Akkadians (the people who followed the Sumerians) and it's been going on ever since.What's left is interesting enough to keep me busy as long as I live ,but it would be nice to find what's missing

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Why should there be anything left of important or valuable meaning, when they invaded Iraq.
I mean the pyramids were looted long before we took our first look. I would think that this has also happened in Iraq.

Especially when the stories about ancient bloodlines and stuff are not a fragment of someones imagination.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
seems like that Sinter but new things are always being discovered
I know that we don't have the whole catalog of what is waiting to be found

theses old myths and tales are loaded with all kinds of information on many levels
That's why I posted this just what we have to study is so monumentally informative in almost burns a hole in my brain
I am so blown away by the story of the taming of Enkidu that unlike the Adam and Eve Story
the Gods made two Heroes for each other

I am fascinated by this tale of male lovers who fight Titanic forces on a level that cannot occur in ordinary conflict and yet they lose their courage and have to support each other and give each other courage

it's full of the strangest juxtapositions of values and yet at the same time it's so understandable and human
it is thick with lurid descriptive imagery that paints a vivid picture in your mind

the Sumerian language sounds like this

this quite a story

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is one of the few times this thing called the Internet is useful for the young kids. You have been introduced to the classics. Maybe one out of one hundred will want to read the original now.

Good find, and keep looking for more so you can learn.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Thank you for the great youtube find! S and F for you! My daughter and I are on part 5 right now

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The Epic of Gilgamesh is and always has been a good read, it's too bad the whole story isn't complete.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by neil wilkes

you can find it here:

www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Yes, this is indeed worth the time to view/listen

i wish that an adaption to these two fine works would be published

Hamlet's Mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Background|Criticism|See also|Further reading
Hamlet's Mill by Giorgio de Santillana and Hertha von Dechend is a nonfiction work of history and comparative mythology, particularly the subfield of archaeoastronomy. It resembles Joseph Campbell's The Masks of God.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet%27s_Mill -

The Masks of God
Hamlet's Mill

Campbells' the 'Hero with a thousand faces' or something to that effect was a PBS series a few years back,,,
another worthwhile topic for personal immersion

thanks for the Gilgamesh vids.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, incidently stumbled across it. I remember reading the epic in my undergraduate years, but taken now with a potential ancient alien perspective, opens up new thoughts and ideas.

Kudos

top topics

join