It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillsdale College Constitution Day Celebration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
*Please note sign up/sign in is required to view the live debates. This is entirely up to the individual member whether they choose to do so or not.*

First Annual Hillsdale College Constitution Day Colloquium
September 16 – 17, 2010

A live webcast sponsored by the Allan P. Kirby, Jr. Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship
www.avwebcasting.com...
I find this exiciting and look forward to hearing what these debators will bring to the table. Please take a look at the links provided to see if there is something you might find irresistible.

How to Interpret the Constitution: A Debate
Friday, September 17 2010
The debate, which will consist of opening statements, responses, and questions from the moderator and audience, will engage the statement, “Resolved, the American Constitution enshrines timeless principles and should be interpreted by each branch of government according to its original meaning.”
Moderator: Paul Moreno, Hillsdale College

Debaters: Stephen Markman, Michigan Supreme Court
Sanford Levinson, University of Texas, Austin

Civil Liberties and Islamic Terrorism: A Debate
The debate, which will consist of opening statements, responses, and questions from the moderator and audience, will engage the statement, “Resolved, the Patriot Act has strengthened and continues to strengthen the security and liberty of the American people.”
Moderator: Will Morrisey, Hillsdale College

Debaters: Bob Barr, Former U.S. Congressman
John Yoo, University of California, Berkeley

AGENDA
www.avwebcasting.com...

As I understand it, bandwidth is limited so if you are interested it might be a good idea to sign up as soon as you can.
I will add more links to the next post as I'm finding other institutions participating in this Celebration Day of the Constitution.

edit on 10-9-2010 by sweetliberty because: tweaking

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Celebrate the Constitution at TTU: Gubernatorial debate, political satire highlights

Constitution Day at Tennessee Tech University Sept. 14 is shaping up to be the best ever for political and media buffs alike.

The day’s activities include a nonpartisan gubernatorial debate and a discussion of the role of political satire in democracies. The Nolan Fowler Constitution Day Celebration, now in its sixth year, commemorates the signing of the U.S. Constitution on Sept. 17, 1787.
Understand the role of political satire – and give yourself a few laughs – with Danna Young, assistant professor of communication at the University of Delaware. Young specializes in the study of media, politics and public opinion.
She’ll discuss the impact of popular programs like “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” “The Colbert Report” and political satire websites like Funny or Die. The free event is set for 5 p.m. in Derryberry Auditorium and is open to the public.

www.tntech.edu...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
May I introduce you to Justice Stephen Markman, the first of the two very impressive and interesting debaters who will be participating in the “How to Interpret the Constitution: A Debate”
Friday, September 17 2010

Debaters: Stephen Markman, Michigan Supreme Court
Sanford Levinson, University of Texas, Austin

www.courts.michigan.gov...

Justice Stephen J. Markman
Stephen Markman was appointed Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court on October 1, 1999. Before his appointment, he served as Judge on the Michigan Court of Appeals from 1995-1999. Prior to this, he practiced law with the firm of Miller, Canfield, Paddock & Stone in Detroit. From 1989-93, he served as United States Attorney in Michigan after being nominated to that position by President George Bush and confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

Justice Markman has taught constitutional law at Hillsdale College since 1993. He has travelled to Ukraine on two occasions on behalf of the State Department and the American Bar Association, to provide assistance in the development of that nation's post-Soviet constitution.

He is a Fellow of the Michigan Bar Foundation, a Master of the Bench of the Inns of Court, and a member of the One Hundred Club. He has spoken before numerous youth and civil organizations throughout Michigan, and has coached Little League baseball and basketball.

en.wikipedia.org...
Controversies

Markman has argued against an increased role by the judiciary in matters of public policy, and suggested that unless citizens engage in a constitutional debate, public matters will be increasingly decided by judges.

…“21st century constitution” or “living constitution”…
www.aipnews.com...

The Coming Constitutional Debate - MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT JUSTICE STEPHEN J. MARKMAN
April 2010
Stephen J. Markman
Justice, Michigan Supreme Court
General Edwin Meese entitled “The Constitution in the Year 2000: Choices Ahead.” This report sought to identify a range of areas in which significant constitutional controversy could be expected over the next 20 years. As critical as I believe those controversies were, they pale in significance before the controversies that will arise over the next several decades. The resolution of these emerging controversies will determine whether the Constitution of 2030 bears any resemblance to the Constitution of 1787—the Framers’ Constitution that has guided this nation for most of its first two centuries and has rendered it the freest, most prosperous, and most creative nation in the history of the world.

Soon I will be happy introduce you to Sanford Levinson.

Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

I'm surprised they could find someone to "favor" the Constitution in Travis(liberal)county. No offense to Austinites out there but....you're kinda liberal by Houston standards, again no offense intended.

ETA: Nice avatar

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I have not heard anything about this and would like to say thank you for sharing it.
I am not too far away and may try to attend.
Thanks again! S&F
P.S. Very nice avatar.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Reminder:

Hillsdale College
First Annual Con s t i t u t i o n Day Colloquium

a live webcast sponsored by the
Allan P. Kirby, Jr. Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship
AGENDA
Thursday, September 16
9:00-10:30 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
Larry P. Arnn, President, Hillsdale College
“Free Markets, Regulation and the Constitution”
Chair: R.J. Pestritto, Hillsdale College
Panelists: Thomas G. West, University of Dallas
Mark Hall, Wake Forest University Law School
William Kristol, The Weekly Standard

10:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m. “Howard Zinn and Civic Education”
Chair: Terrence Moore, Hillsdale College
Panelists: Colleen Sheehan, Villanova University
Allen Guelzo, Gettysburg College
Victor Davis Hanson, Hoover Institution

1:00-2:15 p.m. “Does Tea Party Constitutionalism Have a Future?”
Michael Barone, American Enterprise Institute

8:00 p.m. “Founding Father”
Richard Brookhiser, Author

edit on 16-9-2010 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
“Does Tea Party Constitutionalism Have a Future?”

Agenda

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I saw another post talking about constitution day..

I was thinking.. Why do we have a constitution day? What is the reason behind it.. really why?

If we look at say.. the last 10 yrs, can you actually honestly tell me that we have at least followed the constitution 1 time?

Our whole county is a mess because we blindly followed some idiot into an unconstitutional war, not 1 but 2.. Our liberties are being raped constantly..
We have free speech zones.
We have cops that think there is no such thing as the 4th admendment..
and on and on and on..
No right to privacy
Your celphone spies on you.
They log your internet traffic.
And on and on and on..
Does this sound constitutional to you? To me it dont..

But you know I guess we can have a constitution day. It can be look at everything we are giving up to be raped apon later or not or whatever..

Oh btw Happy Constitution day..
(I was going to make a post about this but i suppose it fits here.)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Hello ThichHeaded

By all means, please do create a thread on what you are questioning and addressing

I am not able to concentrate and participate as I would love to on a thread, esp. one of the Constitution as I work two jobs and my time and focus is limited

I will contribute when I can

Thanks
sl
btw Happy Constitution Day to you too

edit on 16-9-2010 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty
“Does Tea Party Constitutionalism Have a Future?”

Agenda

In the meantime..... WATCH THIS, lol, it may create even more questions

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

I would love to have been able to attend this.
If you can make it there, please post your experience and what you thought about the debates.
It would be interesting to hear from someone who was there.

Thanks
sl

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Sorry SL,
I could not pull everything together in order to make it.
I would have loved to been there though.
I think some of those debates would have been very interesting.
I, like you, do not have the time to keep up with ATS as I would like to.
99.9% of all the ATSing I do is on my blackberry lol.
If you happen to find any links to video footage for the debates can you post them please?
I wonder if they will be shown on CSPAN? I guess I could of set the DVR but oh well.
Thanks SL and keep up the good work.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Good news!
Below is a copy of the email sent to me, the videos of the speeches, panel discussions, and debates are now archived and available for viewing. You must register first if you haven't done so already. Enjoy

Dear Friend of Liberty,

On behalf of Hillsdale College and its Allen P. Kirby Jr. Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship , in Washington, D.C., I thank you for joining us in celebrating the Constitution on September 16 and 17.

I hope you found the Constitution Day Colloquium speeches, panel discussions, and debates about the enduring principles of the Constitution educational and inspiring.

Nearly 25,000 of your fellow citizens registered to view this program. If you would like to view any part of the program, it is archived in its entirety and is now available online at the Constitution Day Colloquium event page. Friends, family, and colleagues who have not yet registered and viewed the events may still do so. Please forward this event to those who are interested.

Also, a DVD version of the Constitution Day Colloquium will soon be available—we will inform you by e-mail as soon as it is.

If you have questions about the program, please email us at [email protected] .

The cause of liberty is dear. Thank you for joining Hillsdale College as we defend the Constitution.

Best regards,

top topics

join