It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldiers Shot Afghan Civilians As Hobbie And Kept Trophies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

US Soldiers Shot Afghan Civilians As Hobbie And Kept Trophies

www.guardian.co.uk

Twelve American soldiers face charges over a secret "kill team" that allegedly blew up and shot Afghan civilians at random and collected their fingers as trophies.

Five of the soldiers are charged with murdering three Afghan men who were allegedly killed for sport in separate attacks this year. Seven others are accused of covering up the killings and assaulting a recruit who exposed the murders when he reported other abuses, including members of the unit smoking hashish stolen from civilians.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I am appalled and at the same time I am not surprised.
These soldiers should be put in prison immediately.
For me, this is an example, once again that war has done a lot of damage in soldiers' minds.
Good luck to the US having to deal with a bunch of crazies coming back from the wars.
Gotta say that they deserve it for going and killing innocent people....all for the name of the Kool Aid called "freedom".

Hopefully someday there will be a coherent and believable explanation as to what does "losing freedoms in the US" has to do with going to and invading Afghanistan....

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/10/2010 by haika because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika

what does "losing freedoms in the US" has to do with going to and invading Afghanistan....

nothing.

the ones who sent them into afghanistan are the same ones who have taken every freedom that has been lost this and last century.

how do we train an individual to be a killing machine and then try to control who or why they kill? maybe if we take more freedoms away.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Ohhh god not another thread like this......

There are always people that are evil, even in the military. These people do not speak for all service members. We are not just out there blowing away civilians. It's just like at home we don't call everyone a murderer just because murders take place everyday do we? I can already see the people coming in on this thread bashing American troops...... Wait for the ignorant ones to show up...... I bet this thread gets derailed into talking about why we shouldn't be in Afghanistan and how all of us service members are "baby killers"....

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This is beyond disgusting, but understandable.

People who go to war are taught to loath and kill the enemy.

So don't blame these soldiers, blame war, and the country that sent them.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
This is beyond disgusting, but understandable.

People who go to war are taught to loath and kill the enemy.

So don't blame these soldiers, blame war, and the country that sent them.

We are NOT taught to loath and kill the enemy.... We are taught to be respectful of their religion and property. We are trained to defend ourselves and our brothers next to us. This is an isolated incident and should NOT be thrown in the face of the rest of the US military.

The last statement is where you are wrong my friend. Blame these soldiers!!!! Send them to jail for the rest of their lives!!! They commit murder and they will be tried just like you would if you killed someone in the US. Do not blame war because there are thousands of other troops in the same mess that they were in, and you didn't see any of us killing innocents and cutting people's fingers off for soviniers.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reign02
Do not blame war because there are thousands of other troops in the same mess that they were in, and you didn't see any of us killing innocents and cutting people's fingers off for soviniers.

That could just be because they haven't been caught

Just saying.......

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

Ok, I stand corrected - but you are sent to kill, obviously.

These soldiers were probably raw recruits, and probably very young.

So, while I am not exonerating these soldiers, I am not exonerating their country or the army either.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reign02
Ohhh god not another thread like this......
Yeah, don't you just get tired of hearing all those stories about the horrors of war. I usually just like to imagine that war is like Top Gun or Stripes, you know all cool and funny and the good guys are the best of the good guys and I can just feel good about all that killing in war, so I can believe war equals freedom and killing recklessly will make a democracy.

There are always people that are evil, even in the military. These people do not speak for all service members.
These people actually speak for your country when they act that way, whether you like it or not. I just love how people like to distance themselves from a machine we have designed for killing, when it goes so wrong.
At what point do you decide to start counting the number of these incidents as being significant markers of a systemic problem in our services? At the moment, trying to marginalize these incidents, reeks of denial and perpetuates the problem. How many more do we need?

We are not just out there blowing away civilians.
But the fact that we are blowing away civilians makes it very hard to point at all the good things we claim to be achieving. In fact, it makes us look like hypocrites and liars whether you like it or not.

It's just like at home we don't call everyone a murderer just because murders take place everyday do we?
No we don't. But lets compare apples with apples hey!

I can already see the people coming in on this thread bashing American troops...... Wait for the ignorant ones to show up...... I bet this thread gets derailed into talking about why we shouldn't be in Afghanistan and how all of us service members are "baby killers"....

I know what you mean.

You could claim that it is merely critics appealing to the lowest common denominator, but in this case the term now seems less like being significant of a crime that is the least in number of occurrence and more like a term relating to the lowest of acts being so common now it seems to be the average state of affairs. It is this thought that should sicken you, because it sickens me, it sickens me even more as I am a proud sibling of a decent, hard working, committed and loyal member of the military.

And I will quote my sibling, 25 years in service.
"We can only claim that we are as Good as the Worst of Us".
I have had numerous conversations regarding other events of this nature and the criticism that they inspire. My sibling said to me "Reverse the situations and see how it plays out".
The Allied Forces have invaded because of What 19 Al Qaeda Terrorists did.
Are all of Al Qaeda as bad as each other for that!
You better believe we take this approach, because our Forces, the Coalition, do not differentiate between any Al Qaeda soldier, I mean did we say that we only want "the bad ones" because we know that not all Taliban or Al Qaeda soldiers are like the worst of them.
We can only ever claim that we are as Good as the Worst of Us, especially when it is us who claim that we are acting from the moral high ground.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
there is cut-throats and brigands in every group.... in this case i dare say there was one literal psychopath and the rest were sheep.
1% kill for fun, the rest are in over there heads.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join