It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. names Asian carp czar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

U.S. names Asian carp czar

www.chicagobreakingnews.com

The White House has tapped a former leader of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the Indiana Wildlife Federation as the Asian carp czar to oversee the federal response to keeping the invasive species out of the Great Lakes.

"When it comes to the Asian carp threat, we are not in denial. We are not in a go-slow mode. We are in a full attack, full-speed ahead mode. We want to stop this carp from advancing."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Now this is comforting. We have an economy in near collapse, an armed conflict on our southern border, Iran building nukes and crumbling infrastructure yet the federal government has to spend time to appoint a "Carp Czar".

I don't doubt that the Asian Carp is a problem, but is it a federal issue? Why can't the states that border the lakes take care of this? Do the people in New Mexico need to pay to have Carp removed from lakes thousands of miles away?

Yes the lakes are national resources. They are also national resources that generate millions of dollars in revenue to the lake states.

Why is everything the feds do (not just today under this administration) so dramatic? What the hell is a czar? Reagan started that nonsense with Bill Bennet with the drug czar business. Its stupid.

Even if the carp is something that the feds need to deal with for what ever reason, why not "hey we got a problem with this Asian Carp. We're going to take a look at it and Joe Blow, who knows a lot about the issue is going to take point for us".

When everything is a priority and everything is a crisis, there are no priorities and nothing is a crisis.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So I guess we can see more of this. Taxpayer funded no less.

100,000 pounds of dead fish and:

For the second time, a poisoning operation aimed at eradicating the dreaded Asian carp from Chicago's waterways has turned up nary a carp.
Source

Gotta love experts.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
They are a problem in waterways, not something to make light of.
The problem here is not that we need the federal government to get involved except in a way to maybe help the state finance the removal of the fish. They can be a danger to people in boats. I say this because they are in connecting waterways that border more than one state. They are a problem in many states.

Again I am not sure I think we need another czar though.

Raist

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
We have more czars than Russia every dreamed of having. Maybe if we got one named Ivan he would take care of the carp and other undesirables. Enough with the czars Washington lets get back to average Joe's coming up with innovative ways to handle problems and get the government out of it.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
These carp are a huge problem and shouldn't be taken lightly. They infest every waterway they get into and push native species of fish to the brink of extinction. The great lakes fishing industry is a 6 billion dollar a year industry. If these fish get into the great lakes they will become giant carp ponds. Personaly I like to eat fish other then tuna. It makes up a large part of my diet. I also like to fish for sport. I spend most of my free time on the great lakes. I am beyond mad that the government waited until now to do something. The great lakes are one of our bigest resources in this country and should be protected. Did you know the shoreline of the great lakes is larger then the atlantic and pacific coast of the united state combined?

edit on 9-9-2010 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join