It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone Discussion: Apps, Games, Jail Breaks, etc.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'd like to have a thread for any iPhone user to share an experience with an application, a game, or a tweak done to their phone if they have a jail break, with other members. I know a lot of times when I'm looking around on websites for information pertaining to aspects of my phone, I wind up on a message board somewhere reading posts. So why not be able to turn to a site I'm familiar with and members I am familiar with.

I'll fire away with some information I have to share and hopefully others will do the same.

I have an iPhone 3GS (white) 16GB.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fb883f9048a.jpg[/atsimg]

Applications...

A few applications of personal preference are;

• Bowtie - this is a great app for playing music through your iPhone if it is placed on a dock somewhere in the house. You can control the music from your laptop as opposed to running back and forth to the dock. It's hardly fool proof and isn't exactly the easiest of set ups, but when I'm on the couch with the laptop and my iPhone is across the room on the dock, it makes life easy. I recommend it!

• Cracked Reader - Cracked is one of the better sites on the web for reading random, interesting articles. However, reading this site from your iPhone is hardly an enjoyable experience. With the Cracked Reader, it's much easier. I wish this one was free but alas, it isn't. I still recommend it though.

• Vevo - this one was recently released and allows you to watch over 20,000+ music videos streamed directly on your iPhone.

• Men's Health Workouts - I recently bought this and have not regretted the purchase. It has tons of information and allowed me to completely revamp my workout routine. If you go to the gym, I'd consider this one.

Games...

The following are all the games I have on my iPhone.

Angry Birds
  • Madden NFL 11
  • Need for Speed Undercover
  • Geared
  • Crash Bandicoot Kart Racing
  • Crosswords
  • Touchgrind
  • Sudoku
  • Scrabble
  • NHL 2K11
  • Fruit Ninja
  • Frogger
  • Traffic Rush
  • Stick Golf
  • Graffiti Ball
  • Stupid Test 5
  • Where's Waldo
  • UnblockMe
  • Paper Toss
  • 3D Pool Game
  • Zombie Highway

I bolded my personal favorites.

Jailbreaking...

(Note: While it is legal to jailbreak your iPhone, downloading pirated content isn't. So please when discussing jailbreaks on the iPhone, exclude any discussion on pirated content)

I have jailbroken my iPhone. I had it for about a year before I did so and was cautious when I decided that I would. But I haven't regretted it for a second. The ability to add tweaks to my iPhone to make a more customized experience is not something I could now do without. Here are some of my favorite tweaks:

• 5 Icon Dock - hands down, one of the best! iPhones have four icons down in the dock on their springboard. When you scroll to the next page of icons, these four remain. With this tweak, you can have five. It isn't cramped, it looks even better and well it adds an extra icon that is always one touch away. This was one of the first tweaks I made and it would be one of the last ones I would want to give up.

• Themes - the ability to customize your phone with themes is awesome! I have only used two themes since jailbreaking. My first was GinoAwsome and now I use Glass Orb Color. I'll post some screen shots later. So much nicer than your basic iPhone icons that I never actually had a problem with, but am quickly bored of them once experiencing the opportunity to be creative.

• Folder Close - when opening a game, application or anything that is located in a folder, when you then close it out.. you are returned to that folder. Very minor but I always wished I could just return to the springboard itself. With this minor tweak, you are. Hardly something you would ever notice, but that small tweak to make the experience smoother.

• SB Settings - I was always annoyed that when I needed to adjust a setting, I needed to close out of what I was doing and head to the settings icon. One thing I usually ended up doing if I was outside was increasing or decreasing the brightness of my screen. With SB Settings, you customize a specific finger maneuver on the screen and a settings option pops up over the top of whatever you are doing. You quickly make the changes and exit the app, all the while never having to leave the screen you were on. I didn't care for it at first but the more I became used to it, it is so much easier.

Share some thoughts on what you do or don't like about the iPhone experience.

edit on 9-9-2010 by chissler because: bbcode

• posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:41 PM
    link   
    I got a droid meh.

Do prefer the iphone games tho

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:08 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Lysergic

I never really did much gaming on it until recently. Some of the games on it can easily keep you entertained for hours.

Apparently Apple's iTouch outsells Nintendo and Sony combined for handheld gaming. Never would have thought that.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:11 PM
    link   
    Yeah there was actually one cool droid game, but it got bought by the apple store... and no longer available on the droid market... glad i didnt buy..

was a 3d third person online shooter..

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:16 PM
    link   
    Two screen shots of my iPhone.

This is the first theme that I used named "GinoAwsome".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d4f025fcc8f.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is my current theme that is named "Glass Orb Color".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c55520e1be84.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:32 PM
    link   
    Hi Chissler

Cracked & hacked 3G, rolled back OS to 3.1.2 8 gig.
    I like Cydia to a point, but it could stand a retooling.
    I hate how long it can take to browse it, and I wish for more sources soon.

gamebox 35 in 1
    Ghost radar for EVP
    no signal
    Kingdoms Live
    Stanza (I have tons of ebooks)
    Firefox home

...are the current apps I use, although I possess over 500 apps.
    I wish I could have afforded a 16gig so I wouldn't have to swap out so much.

Do you find that your music collection eats most of your memory?

edit on 9/9/10 by shadow watcher because: sp

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:36 PM
    link   
    reply to post by shadow watcher

I loved Cydia for the first hour I had the jailbreak and then I downloaded Rock. You'll never open Cydia again. Rock serves the same purpose, however it actually organizes the items. They are organized by rating, which is most important in my opinion. Rock provides way more information and also lets you know when updates are available to tweaks or add-ons that you've downloaded. Cydia doesn't even compare. Loads way faster and much easier to navigate.

I have anywhere from 12-14GB of music on my iPhone at any time. I keep videos and movies off as I just don't have a need for them. Maybe if I was on a long flight I'd drop one or two on it, but then I'd remove it immediately. So music for me takes up the most room for sure.

I'll definitely be getting the 32GB when I upgrade to the next iPhone or even higher if it is an option. I've passed on getting an iPhone 4.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:38 PM
    link   
    shoot me some info on Rock, this is news to me. thanks!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:39 PM
    link   

Just download it from Cydia and check it out. You won't be disappointed.

This is the purpose of the thread. I know there are a lot of iPhone users on the site that could stand to benefit from an ongoing discussion.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:47 PM
    link   
    aww, I just scrolled through all the Rs and couldn't find it.
    Is there a source I need to load to see it?

And I agree this is a great idea for a thread.
    I will hang around, maybe we can discuss apps more.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:16 PM
    link   
    Ok, I did a bit of investigating and I found it.
    It is called RockApp in Cydia.

I will pour over it tonight. There was a video about it

(I hope I embedded that correctly)

Can we list sources here?
    Off the top of my head I cannot see a problem with that.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:16 AM
    link   

Sources come with tweaks and various customizations of the iPhone so I don't see an issue.

My sources are:

• BigBoss's Source
  • Cydia Community Sources
  • Dev-Team
  • ModMyi.com
  • Saurik's Source
  • ZodTTD's Source

• posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:34 AM
    link   
    I just purchased Monster Dash for the iPhone. Great game!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:50 PM
    link   
    Here's a few

apt.modmti.com...

Just loaded
    repo.insanelyi.com...
    sinfuliphonerepo.com...

got Quake 3 but got wasted every single time I try to play.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:00 PM
    link   
    Enjoy Rock while you can. Cydia has just purchased it and will be merging everything that is Rock into Cydia immediately.

Larget Jailbreak App Store Becomes One After Cydia Acquires Rock

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:44 PM
    link   
    My son mentioned something about that, but I dismissed it.
    I thought it was rumor.
    With the evolution of the apps and the ever changing technology,
    I am sure there will be a new sources to explore soon enough.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:44 AM
    link   
    I waited for the hype to die down and did a bit of reading and finally decided to upgrade from my 3g to the 4.

Lots of reasons why but the main one was that fact that my 3g was 'pre paid' and apart from the fact that I paid $760 for the handset it cost 80 cents per minute to call anyone. And don't even think about using cell data transmission.

I'm not really into jail breaking as it does everything need it to do, plus I'm a tech luddite. Doe's it void the warranty?

Anyhoo, my home screen.
    [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cb61d37b8b4c.jpg[/atsimg]

The gyro adds a lot to the gaming experience in terms of accuracy and smoothness of control.

sanc'

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:29 AM
    link   
    reply to post by sanctum

It does void the warranty, however you can easily restore it or just simply update the software. It removes the jailbreak and restores the warranty. Apple would never know it was jailbroken.

The only issue is if you broke it and couldn't restore it, you're outta luck.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:44 PM
    link   
    Yeah, as long as you keep your phone healthy, you can reset in minutes.
    I waited until I was 6 months shy of the expiration for my agreement before I jailbroke mine.
    You can mess around and learn about jailbreaking then just use itunes to reset it to your prior setting.

There are a slew of youtube step by step walk throughs on jailbreaking. Just use your operating system version number in your search. Mine is 3.1.2, yours may be like 4.0.2 or something like that.

Good luck

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 06:28 AM
    link   
    I went yesterday and upgraded from my 16GB iPhone 3GS to a 32GB iPhone 4.

I was very hesitant to do so and I truly miss my first iPhone. The white case was something I was a huge fan of, even if the carrier had actually ordered me the wrong phone. But I had a friend who was interested in purchasing an iPhone, without a contract, and with her purchasing mine, she got it for cheaper than she would through a retail outlet and I was able to cover most of the cost of the upgrade. It worked great for both sides.

Still though, I was hesitant to part ways with it.

Thoughts on the iPhone 4....

I've had my 3GS in my face every day for the past year. Actually, I was in the Dominican for a week back in April without it and suffered terrible withdrawal, but with that exception, not a day went by where I wasn't using this phone. After having only had the iPhone 4 for less than 24 hours, these are my thoughts:

• MUCH, MUUUCH better!

The speed of the phone with the new A4 chip in it is very noticeable. Applications are opening and closing much faster, the multi-tasking is so much more smoother and the overall response of the phone is instantaneous. With that said, I didn't believe the 3GS to be slow. Quite the contrary, I thought this phone was very fast and never was I sitting there thinking it needed to be faster. But having felt that about the 3GS, the iPhone 4 is MUCH faster!

• The shape and feel of the iPhone 4

Again, I loved the way the 3GS felt in my phone. The plastic casing, the curved edges... all of it! I've had a case for my phone to keep it in good shape but I'd frequently remove it while at home because the feel of it was much nicer without the case. Now having used the iPhone 4, the 3GS honestly feels bulky and "old". I'm not quite used to the flat backing or the stainless steel band around the edges, but the size of this phone is very attractive. Again, I have purchased a very thin case for my phone which hasn't added to the thickness, but it does cover those bands. And I find them slightly awkward when holding the phone in your hands. And when holding the phone without a case on it, I'm convinced I could drop it at any time. Part of this is the newness of the item hasn't worn off yet but the make up of the phone does add to this.

• Retina Display

The 3GS had a great display. I never once looked at it and thought it needed to be better. NEVER! But the iPhone 4 retina display blows the 3GS out of the water. I watched the WWDC keynote speech and over vidoes on this and while I did see it, it wasn't much. It wasn't enough for me to go out the first day and upgrade. But after having seen this with my own eyes and used it over a short period of time, it is impossible to not notice. The 3GS display looks blurry and outdated. I had my 3GS alongside it yesterday and my fiance still has hers here, and the displays are not even in the same ball park.

• Face Time

I haven't used it yet and only have a few people I know with another iPhone 4, so this is a feature that will come in time for me on a daily basis.

• No Jail-Break... Yet!

Having to resort back to a non-jailbroken iPhone has been excruciating. I don't know how long I'll last like this. The upgrade was almost bittersweet because I was receiving a better phone, but I was losing my jailbreak for the time being.

• top topics

<<   2 >>

join