It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Olympic games to replace pistols with laser guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Looks like the English shame of having to send their Olympic athletes to train in more gun tolerant countries to compete is over with. We all get to shoot lasers now!

"Based on this new technology, all countries in the world can compete in our sport.

"Safety issues will no longer be a big concern."

It shouldnt be long now before the biathlon is using lasers as well.

Who said Lazer Tag wasnt cool anymore? It's now an Olympic sport!

Pentathlon switches to laser guns

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
How does one compensate for wind direction and bullet velocity with a laser weapon? Everyone is gonna hit the bullseye every shot.

It is kinda cool though, I want to see a video of it shooting. Does it create a hole, or do you just point the laser at the target and click to send a signal to where you aimed it?

I'd like to own a laser pistol, or a have a laserbeam attached to my freakin' head. It would go great with the metal legs I'm thinking about getting. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by tooo many pills

I doubt it makes a hole. Probably just a target with hit sensors all over it. Or some 80's guy with the laser tag helmet and harness and when he gets hit it goes "eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrt."

Good questions about the wind and compensation. Takes some of the skill out of it. Does a laser drop or deviate? Is it a constant stream or a pulse?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
might as well use BB-guns or something.

Laser guns? seriously? wow...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Soon we will have virtual running and jumping so the athletes wont risk getting a sprain or injury. Where are the MEN in the world? Lasers? you got to be kidding me. Soon that will be banned because you might flash it in someones eye and they could go blind.

edit on 9-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: Spelling. im bad at it

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I wonder how those lasers sound? No more BANG!!!, might be kind of star trek sound. Also, what about other sports like fencing....maybe they will be now like Luke and Darth Vader ("ZOOOOM, ZOOOOM....I'm your father").

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Since the lasers were put in place with "safety" in mind I imagine the fencing will soon be done with those giant foam cylinders kids play with in the water.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This isn't going to work for the Shotgun competitions. You need the kick, and not to mention, having clays integrated with sensors would be expensive.

If the laser guns reproduce a kick by means of CO2 or something, then I could see how they might work, but the kick of the weapons is integral to the sport. How a human overcomes the natural reflexes to react to explosive kicks is very much part of the sport.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

LOL good point. But this does beg the question, IS THIS NECESSARY? How many shooting accidents have occurred during Olympic events in the last 20 years? I've never heard of accidents, anyone?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I can safely say more Olympians have died in the luge than in any of the Olympic shooting events.

It seems much more about whittling away any reason at all to keep real projectile launching firearms.

top topics

join